Running cannons as steady burn all the time?

IshyFlynn

Feb 8, 2012
Maine
What is the final word on Feniex Cannon 360s run as "steady burn" in fog lights or used in a stock light replacement scenario (brake, turn signals, etc)?

I am aware that the Cannons power down to protect from the intense heat of being run at full power, but I'm not sure what the official stance is. Can you steady burn these things all day long without worrying about them? Also, is there a notable brightness benefit to running these units as a replacement light over a stock bulb?

Last edited:

IshyFlynn

Feb 8, 2012
Maine
We have cannon 360 as our brake, tail light, turn signals, parking lamps, and daytime running lamps on our demo unit. We have purposely kept the daytime running lights on for trips of 12 plus hours and have not had a failure yet.

Looks like I have my answer that I'm looking for. Thanks for the insight.

Code3Service

Aug 29, 2015
New Mexico
Per FENIEX as I had a long chat with them about this is NO. They had to many failures because of this. That is why the power down to 6 after a few. Still very bright. I would recommend using the Cannon 120 for fog lights. They push more forward light. I have done several of the cannon lights in Brake, Turn, Reverse, and fog lights. I like the 120 in the FOG and Reverse lights. The 360 is great for all the rest if you get them installed right

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Cannons underperform for fog light applications as far as lighting things up as well as fog lights do. I highly advise my customers against using them as a fog light bulb replacement. Puting them in housings for warning is fine but they simply do not put out the same light as a halogen bulb.

ShadowSwipe

Mar 13, 2015
New Jersey
Yeah I have the cannon 120's as reverse lights and they do okay, I'd imagine they'd make fine break lights/tail lights. But I would not use them for fog lights.

IshyFlynn

Feb 8, 2012
Maine
Cannons underperform for fog light applications as far as lighting things up as well as fog lights do. I highly advise my customers against using them as a fog light bulb replacement. Puting them in housings for warning is fine but they simply do not put out the same light as a halogen bulb.

Fair enough. Do you think I'd be "safe" performance and heat wise installing these in a rear brake light housing and using them to improve the brightness of an emergency vehicle's brake light?

The department I'm dealing with ordered me to install eye level dual Whelen 900 series LEDs on their Maximum Intensity as dedicated auxiliary brake lights on their new rescue, and that is just not right. I'm hoping to give them this as an alternative option.

They have this setup on their old rescue that this new unit is replacing, and at night behind it as soon as they put on the brakes you are overwhelmed by the intensity of a thousand suns.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.