SAPD adds a Camaro to stealth fleet

Steve-O

May 21, 2010
San Antonio
SAN ANTONIO -- The San Antonio Police Department has added a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro to its fleet of vehicles to help catch aggressive drivers.

Watch Paul Venema's Report

Police Chief Bill McManus said the Aggressive Drivers Unit has proved effective in dealing with aggressive drivers. McManus said that the vehicles include recessed emergency lights and subdued lettering.

"The stealth vehicle fleet makes it easier to identify aggressive drivers," McManus said. "When there's a marked car around, people don't drive aggressively. It's only when they're not there that they're going to do it."

The fleet features 12 vehicles, which range in style from sport utility vehicles to sedans to sport cars.

McManus has some advice for anyone thinking about driving aggressively.

"Just because you don't see a marked police vehicle doesn't mean that we're not out there watching," he said.

KSAT12

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
HPD84 said:
nice "Traffic Enforcement" Fleet,just not so stealth when you clearly see the "Police" on all the cars,they could've done it alittle differently :roll:

no kidding

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
Those looked like regular plates on those vehicles. Did we change the style of the exempt plates in TX?

Steve-O

May 21, 2010
San Antonio
HPD84 said:
nice "Traffic Enforcement" Fleet,just not so stealth when you clearly see the "Police" on all the cars,they could've done it alittle differently :roll:

Considering that the vast majority of the motoring public pays no attention to my marked unit, they fly past these units with subdued graphics and don't even notice the graphics. And the graphics really are more difficult to see in person.

CenTexPSE said:
Those looked like regular plates on those vehicles. Did we change the style of the exempt plates in TX?

Most agencies use regular plates instead of the "Texas Exempt" plates on their stealth vehicles.

Pursuit

May 23, 2010
Pulaski County, AR
Nice Camaro! I wish they would use more non traditional police cars though. I mean every time I see a Charger, or Impala, or Crown Victoria, I always slow down just a bit to see if it is an uncover officer, or not.

Along with the Camaro, they should include perhaps a Mustang, or even a generic sedan to really blend in.

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
Pursuit said:
Nice Camaro! I wish they would use more non traditional police cars though. I mean every time I see a Charger, or Impala, or Crown Victoria, I always slow down just a bit to see if it is an uncover officer, or not.

Along with the Camaro, they should include perhaps a Mustang, or even a generic sedan to really blend in.

I agree. A town near me has a couple Dodge Durangos, one is light blue, the other maroon. They also have a Dodge Dakota. They work well, and are very stealthy!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Unless the law changed, in Texas a vehicle with Exempt plates must be clearly marked with the owner name. That includes a City, County,State, State school or district, or other State Gov. agency. Any unmarked or 'stealth' vehicle is not clearly marked, and not in compliance of the rule. Of course, the vehicles with normal plates and a registration sticker still are tax exempt.

I noticed all the stealth units shown in the video are pursuit rated vehicles. The Impala with it's wheel covers and the Camaro would be the only cars that would fool me. Anytime I am out of Dallas, I always mind my manners around unmarked Crown vic's and Dodge Clunkers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.