Scanner volume too low

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
I have a Uniden BC760xlt I just installed in my vehicle and the sound was too quiet to hear while driving. I hooked up a cheap radioshack external speaker which helped a little but not much. Is there anything I can do to boost the sound enough to hear over normal driving conditions?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
buy an amplified speaker.... relocate the speaker to behind your head rest.. get hearing aids:eek:

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
If you're listening to regular FM voice (analog, not digital), part of the reason it's quiet is narrowbanding. I don't know much about the 780's, so I apologize if there's a setting for wide and narrow and you have it set correctly. I do know on the BCT-15 and newer scanners, you set the modulation width per stored frequency. When narrowbanding happened locally, I had to go through my BCT15 and set all the FM frequencies to narrow to gain audio volume back.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
I only have a couple frequencies programmed, they are 150 and 450 frequencies.

Would you be able to send me a link to an amplified speaker, and maybe also explain a little further about the narrow banding. I didn't quite follow you with that.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Nice sarcasm. I guess I shouldn't have expected a useful specific recommendation, as opposed to a generic "go help yourself" response.

Anywho, I was able to pick up a Motorola HSN4032B external speaker from my hall tonight. It has a different connection, but if I rewired it, would that give me any improvement over my non-amplified radioshack external speaker?

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
codycat91 said:
Nice sarcasm. I guess I shouldn't have expected a useful specific recommendation, as opposed to a generic "go help yourself" response.
Some of your questions kind of invited our response. Lighten up, being advised to do some research yourself is to be expected since there is so much to be found these days without asking. (And it's forum policy...) Those who have helped themselves first will always get extra help at Hogwarts.

codycat91 said:
Anywho, I was able to pick up a Motorola HSN4032B external speaker from my hall tonight. It has a different connection, but if I rewired it, would that give me any improvement over my non-amplified radioshack external speaker?
You might be ok with that one. If there are three wires, one is ground, one is audio +, and one is 12vdc+. If it has four wires, the audio is floating and MUST NOT be grounded. If it has only two wires, it is not amplified and may or may not help your situation. That will depend on how much of an audio amp is in the scanner.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
The "modulation width per frequency" blah blah talk threw me off. That's a little beyond my comprehension. I understand that I could've googled a narrowband radio. And when I asked to send a link to a amplified speaker, I meant to recommend a specific one. Both my fault for not clarifying.

Thanks for the wiring tip, I'll get into that tomorrow!

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Prior to Jan 1 2013, most conventional analog radios ran in "wide-band", where when you spoke into the radio, your voice was 5 kilohertz "wide". Pretend that's a foot long ruler. After Jan 1 2013, as a general rule, public safety transmissions were required to be narrow, where the voice is only 2.5 kilohertz, so it's "narrow", or half of that ruler. Your scanner is listening for voice that is a foot wide, but only receiving 6" wide signals, so it's half as loud. Newer scanners have settings for narrowband so it KNOWS it's only going to receive half signal compared to wide-band, and compensates for that for the end user.

The reason for being narrow is you can fit more users within a range of frequencies, because they only take up half the space in the spectrum now.

ful-vue

Aug 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
You might want to give the Motorola speaker a shot anyway. Even without amplification it might give you a boost compared to the internal speaker.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Yeah, both externals are better than the internal but I'm still not satisfied with the output in my vehicle. I hate struggling to listen over road noise

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
that could be an operartor error... someone who doesn't have a microphone close enough to their mouths, or a lower volume set on the repeater itself

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
A 350 is going to sound the same. And I think they're even older than the 780's. And WAY less featured.

Weather channels are louder beause they are still wideband. The feds exempted themselves there, as they will never fit anybody else in the WX freq area.

Your fire stuff might still be wideband too. 2 reasons for that: A) Someone's gonna get a fine for not narrowbanding. B) They have a waiver from the FCC and havent narrowbanded yet.

Or like Jarred said, maybe the fire audio is just way hot.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
I ordered a BC355C. I believe something may be wrong with my scanner because a buddy with an older 350a is still louder than mine

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
Ben E. said:
If you're listening to regular FM voice (analog, not digital), part of the reason it's quiet is narrowbanding. I don't know much about the 780's, so I apologize if there's a setting for wide and narrow and you have it set correctly. I do know on the BCT-15 and newer scanners, you set the modulation width per stored frequency. When narrowbanding happened locally, I had to go through my BCT15 and set all the FM frequencies to narrow to gain audio volume back.

Did you experience this with a narrow analog or digital FM signal?

Just curious, as in my experience it's due to the user not accustomed to listening to a "cleaner digital signal" that has inherently a different frequency spectrum for the audio out, (not to mention a lower noise level).

PS. I prefer the narrow digital FM signal, as white noise fatigue, squelch tails are eliminated. :)

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Rhinojoe said:

Just curious, as in my experience it's due to the user not accustomed to listening to a "cleaner digital signal" that has inherently a different frequency spectrum for the audio out, (not to mention a lower noise level).

PS. I prefer the narrow digital FM signal, as white noise fatigue, squelch tails are eliminated. :)

Sorry, just saw this. It was the same as it's been. Nothing changed

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Rhinojoe said:

Narrow analog vs wide analog.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.