School Bus LED warning lights

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
im not sure about anywhere else in the country, but in the tri-state area, I have NEVER seen a school bus with LED warning lights. I have, however, many times, seen a pair of LEDs on the stop sign, and the rear stop/tail/turn lights are almost always LED. But as far as the amber and red warning lights up top, they're ALWAYS halogen bulbs. Just imagine what 4 Whelen M6s to the front and rear would look like. A pair of amber and red, with colored lenses to the front and rear respectively. (you could always go crazy and add a few red M4s to the stop sign(s). Just picture the ambers on a 'Single Flash' at 90fpm while moving, and then they would switch to a 'Single Flash' 60 in red, while stopped. I think they would be 10,000 times more effective than the Weldon 7" round halogens that they're using now. EVERYTHING (police, fire, EMS, construction, DOT, plowing, security, sanitation, etc) has gone to LED for obvious reasons, whats the hold-up in the school bus industry? Does anyone else see school busses with LED warning lights? or am I the only one who doesn't?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
The buses up here all use halogen. I have talked to a friend who drives for a local company and he said it is because the halogen melts the snow dust off where LEDs wouldn't be able to.

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
odd...........all the school buses here use the LED weldon lights, they look pretty cool too.

They dont do the regular back and forth slow though, its more along the lines of a quad blink flash back and forth.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
It's mixed around here with LED and Halogen. The big thing that is becoming more common are the clear strobes on top of the bus, only a couple years ago did they start that.

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
I see some with LEDs here. The rest seem to be about half strobe and half halogen. Almost all have the clear strobe and have for as long as I can remember.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
yeah, I havnt seen strobe warning lights since I took the bus like 15 years ago. since then, ALL halogen. No LED. As far as the clear strobe to the rear, they are very common around here, however theyre never on.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
In WI, the clear strobe on the roof is always on when there are people on board (unless it is just the driver). It used to only be on in inclement weather and at night, but that changed maybe 10 years ago.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Yeah that clear strobe on top at the rear is on all the school buses around here.

I had a guy who has a juckyard try and sell me the strobe units that are in the stop signs these use on the side of the bus when they open the door at a stop.

Sure can't miss it coming down the road when the kids get home after dark.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Storm4200 said:
im not sure about anywhere else in the country, but in the tri-state area...

By Tri-state area, I'm assuming you mean Delaware, Maryland and Viginia (DelMarVa)? Cause I have no idea why NJ would be included in that? :D

Anyways, we have some school busses with led warning lights. However, most are still halogen. I do like that the leds though. I've seen them do a quad-flash and wig-pattern. IMHO its better then a halogen ones, esp in the worming when the sun is right in front of the school bus.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
By tri-state area. I meant the REAL tri-state area, which is: NJ,NY, and CT. LOL.

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
It's a mix here in CT too. Mostly halogen with occassional LED or strobe. The rear white strobes are a federal requirement, but some state laws supercede it. CT doesn't require it, so very rare to see one at all.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
RDT Car 25 said:
It's a mix here in CT too. Mostly halogen with occassional LED or strobe. The rear white strobes are a federal requirement, but some state laws supercede it. CT doesn't require it, so very rare to see one at all.

Some places the clear strobe is mandated depended what is going on. FOr example, some places require the beacon be on anytime students are on board. Some places, only if students are on board, in bad weather. Some only when loading or discharging students. I'm not sure what NJs requirements are, if they have any at all.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I see very few LEDs. School buses tend to be bare-bones, low-budget vehicles, and when school districts around here are firing teachers and cutting programs, I can't see them spending extra for fancy lighting.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Sound Off Signal sells a 7" round LED in red or amber for buses. Has three wires: one for ground, steady burn and pulsing. When the "pulsing" hot wire is wired to the alternating flasher, the LEDs will appear to do a quad flash, whereas if the steady burn is wired to the flasher you'll get the old school wig-wag. I've wired these on a few older fire apparatus to upgrade from the 7" round incandescent lights.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
LED's on school buses if pretty old school (!) in the Dallas area. The Weldon's are crazy bright, even in direct sunlight, big and round in a double flash alternating pattern. I think the coolest application of LED lighting for school bus use is on the Thomas Sat-T-Liner series.

overview_school_c2.jpg

The clear strobe, and I've seen about 3 clear LED beacons, are used in Texas as well.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Great video thanks. Those are the WelDon LED replacements? I've seen those on a few old slant-side Brauns out here, but NEVER on a school bus. (I'm the kind of person who looks)

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Down where I'm at most of the buses have the halogen lights. The only exception of course are the new deliveries we get. Those have the LEDs. Back in 2010 when I rode the bus every now and then senior year we had one that was a new delivery that had leds but they switched them to halogen, and then for some reason they switched them back to the leds.

As far as the clear strobes on the top, we had them but not all the drivers used them. Some times they were on and then sometimes they weren't. Never thought to ask.

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
tsquale said:
The buses up here all use halogen. I have talked to a friend who drives for a local company and he said it is because the halogen melts the snow dust off where LEDs wouldn't be able to.

I agree with that for plow lights 100%, but for how long the warning lights are on, I don't think they'd generate enough heat to accomplish that

RamCumminsFF

Dec 16, 2012
Upstate New York
Here in the true Tri state area, NY NJ PA (Tri states marker in Port Jervis) All the new buses have gone full Led except for the headlights. The majority seem to have the tall rectangle shaped lights for the amber / red. We started seeing full Led buses approx 4 years ago.

04P71

Nov 25, 2012
New York
Depends on the districts choice. Some around here are using LED flashing red and yellow lights with a clear strobe on the roof. The LED's on the buses I've seen, use a quad flash. They have them on the swing out 'STOP" sign also.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Storm4200 said:
I'm not sure what NJs requirements are, if they have any at all.

NJ is a little different, they have the "CHMSL" (center high mounted Secaucus light). Every school bus in NJ has an air quality sensor on the roof, & when the local air quality matches the air quality measured that day on the NJ Turnpike, the light will flash.

I seem to see those lights flashing pretty much all the time.

:D

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
I just want a pair of the amber lights mounted on the back deck of my car in single flash at 60fpm.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I have seen down here mostly LED warning lights with what appears to be "sho-me" by the inch leds crammed in the rear of the bus so when its at a stop they flash.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I still think they should use M6s with colored lenses.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.