School me on Unitrol

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Hey guys, I'm going to need a siren for my POV come the end of the year/early 2014 and I'm starting to poke around and see what's what. I do know I want a 200 watt unit, I have a 2011 F-150 so mounting 2 speakers won't be a problem.

Now, as far as tones go, I love the Unitrol wail and yelp, always have since I was a kid watching Cops. The thing that confuses me is looking at these sirens, I don't have a clue how to work them! Every piece of apparatus or vehicle I've ever operated has had a rotary knob siren.

No one uses Unitrol around here that I'm aware of so there's no real chance of getting to play with one and try it out myself.

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Henry455 said:
Not sure if this will help you but at the top of this section is the Siren Demo thread, it has some videos of Unitrols.

I've seen them, they help but I still don't understand the sweep modes and all the other gadgets on the controllers, and I also HATE the other tones, they sound like a cheap car alarm, but I love the wail and yelp.

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
emt322636 said:
I've seen them, they help but I still don't understand the sweep modes and all the other gadgets on the controllers, and I also HATE the other tones, they sound like a cheap car alarm, but I love the wail and yelp.

Notice the SEC and SWP switch and a Wail, Yelp, CBC switch. Flip the switch to SWP or sec and you get wail yelp and which ever their tone you have setup. If you hit the man switch while in sec you get a single override tone like any other siren hit man switch in SWP and a group of tones you pitch will sound until you hit the man switch again.

IMG_20130626_135606_152.jpg

Q2bman

Jan 27, 2012
USA oklahoma
One of them has a knob. Ouchmaster delta I think. Knob to select wail and yelp. The sweep does the arcade tones but on that model it's only ultra high low and some telephone tone. Not like my twin unitrol omega 90's. they sound like Nintendo but man they move traffic!

The touchmaster delta is easy to use and sounds great! But I love the dual sirens.

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
I also run the Unitrol Omega 90 Dual-Mode in my POV. It is in my opinion the loudest and best sounding electronic siren on the market. They are also extremely reliable as long as you run a good 100 watt rated speaker (for each amplifier). The first video demos the Unitrol using the compact model 5000 controller. The second video demo shows the larger light/siren 8001 controller. They are extremely easy to operate and the sweep tones are user programmable by setting up the internal dip switches. You can select up to 8 different sweep sounds meaning if you want the siren just to sweep wail and yelp, you can do that or you can have wail, yelp, hi-low, or yelp and phaser, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
OK, so I have a touch master delta coming, so I see that it has a switch for override and sweep. If this switch is in the override position, does that mean I can just use the rotary knob to go from wail to yelp and back? Or by using the manual switch?

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
I believe the manual switch on the Delta controls the sweep mode normally. On override, it should select between wail and yelp as default but it can also control a secondary tone like the ultra hi-lo depending upon the internal dip switch selection.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The Omega wail and yelp tones sound much better than the 80k series sirens.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
As soon as the Unitrol is set up, your next endeavor is getting an additional battery & a compressor to power a mechanical Q & dual train horns! :)

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Black Hoe said:
I also run the Unitrol Omega 90 Dual-Mode in my POV. It is in my opinion the loudest and best sounding electronic siren on the market. They are also extremely reliable as long as you run a good 100 watt rated speaker (for each amplifier). The first video demos the Unitrol using the compact model 5000 controller. The second video demo shows the larger light/siren 8001 controller. They are extremely easy to operate and the sweep tones are user programmable by setting up the internal dip switches. You can select up to 8 different sweep sounds meaning if you want the siren just to sweep wail and yelp, you can do that or you can have wail, yelp, hi-low, or yelp and phaser, etc.

This is the first of the new-breed Unitrols I've heard. I love that dualtone sound!! When I first clicked on the demo, I would've thought it was an old Federal doubletone siren going. I had one of the 80 series, and it was nice, but nothing like this one. How big are the amplifiers....I have very limited space in my POV.

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
pdk9 said:
As soon as the Unitrol is set up, your next endeavor is getting an additional battery & a compressor to power a mechanical Q & dual train horns! :)

I can say a electronic q and grover air horns do sound awsome with a Unitrol siren. I had my truck set up that way at one point, let me tell you it moved the traffic. Of course I probably scared the hell out of a lot of people :eek: :confused: :cool:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
txff914 said:
I can say a electronic q and grover air horns do sound awsome with a Unitrol siren. I had my truck set up that way at one point, let me tell you it moved the traffic. Of course I probably scared the hell out of a lot of people :eek: :confused: :cool:

Two things I found quite by accident that moved people. My '63 Pontiac Consort ambulance originally had a 77GB doubletone siren fender-mounted, but I added an original PA15 (with the Alert function) to the car with a grille-mounted speaker. One day at the local racetrack a guy fell on his motorcycle. Going on to the track I just reached and flipped the selector switch on the Director, allowing to land where it might. It stuck between the yelp and Alert tones and emitted a funny eeee-ooooh sound. I was later told that the track announcer, who was leaning out the window of the booth to get a better look at who had fallen, almost dropped his coffee on a spectator when the siren produced that funny sound. The other occurred at the same place, different time, when I entered the track with the Q on my '71 Suburban already rolling, plus the North American siren on "Riot"...the first time I had ever tried, or heard, that sound. That got the spectators' attention...for sure.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
Train horns belong on locomotives, not trucks.

I would disagree with that. Odessa is using train horns on their newer ambulances, along with Whelen electronics and the little Eagle motordriven sirens. You can hear that train horn for miles. I know.....I have! :yes:

Unitroler

Mar 17, 2016
Virginia
Hey guys, I'm going to need a siren for my POV come the end of the year/early 2014 and I'm starting to poke around and see what's what. I do know I want a 200 watt unit, I have a 2011 F-150 so mounting 2 speakers won't be a problem.

Now, as far as tones go, I love the Unitrol wail and yelp, always have since I was a kid watching Cops. The thing that confuses me is looking at these sirens, I don't have a clue how to work them! Every piece of apparatus or vehicle I've ever operated has had a rotary knob siren.

No one uses Unitrol around here that I'm aware of so there's no real chance of getting to play with one and try it out myself.

This should help alot. I know all about unitrol omega.
The Sec switch operates wail. If you have SEC selected and you hit YLP it will play the yelp siren. If you have SEC AND YLP SELECTED and you hit the MAN button it will switch the Yelp to a PHASER SIREN OR PRIORITY TONE. If you have just SEC selected and you hit MAN it will switch to yelp for 6 seconds and then loop back to wail. If you have SWP button selected it will play wail again. If you then select CHC it will play the HILO SIREN. If you have SWP AND CHC SELECTED and you press MAN it will play a HETRO TONE like a telephone tone for six secs and them switch back to HILO. Now heres the fun part. If you have SWP and then hit the MAN it will Play 7 tones. WAIL,YELP,HILO,HETRO (telephone tone), HORN, ALARM, and PHASER. Then this will keep going until you stop it. Also you can mix the HRN with all the sirens. Hope this helped

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
This should help alot. I know all about unitrol omega.
..... Hope this helped

This thread was posted and last commented on in 2013!

Hopefully the information you shared helps someone later in life but PROBABLY not the OP :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.