Securing Portable radios in cab of apparatus

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Hi all,

Curious if anyone has any ideas on how to secure a portable radio in the cab of some fire apparatus. We have a customer that has about 15 large trucks and has motorola XTS5000 radios. They have a bank charger in the back, but up front they just need something to securely hold the radios (not charge them, just hold them). By "securely" I mean something that will allow the radios to not fly around in case of a rollover/accident (complying with the NFPA accident standard that came out a few years ago)

We thought about bolting a leather radio case to the console, but the customer has belt clips on the back of their radios, so can't put them in a case. We also thought about making an aluminum bracket that the belt clip can clip on to, but the belt clips aren't strong enough to hold the radios in case of an accident.

Any ideas? Motorola has nothing off-the-shelf but I'm hoping someone here can help.

Many thanks.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
velcro

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
leftcoastmark said:
We also thought about making an aluminum bracket that the belt clip can clip on to, but the belt clips aren't strong enough to hold the radios in case of an accident.

This is what we do.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
The Velcro may not be such a bad idea. :undecided: Wait, don't flame me. :nono:

Attach 2 pieces of it to a bulkhead, the mating parts emanating outward from the attaching point - 180 degrees horizontally. (Such as hooks to the left, loops to the right.) Make each chunk long enough to wrap around the radio. You are not attaching the Velcro to the radio itself, which would not support the weight of the radio and also would then not allow the radio fit into a pouch.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
pretty much my thought in simple terms. you make a "harness" for the radio out of velcro. verticaly and horizontaly.

why would you spend $400 for a pelican case to put a radio in it when you wouldnt be able to hear it....

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Pickup some aftermarket carry cases - the kind that are adjustable for various size radios. Adjust them so the radios with belt clips will fit in them. Then bolt 'em to the wall of the cab or where ever. Insert radio, fasten the securing strap and you are good to go.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Steve0625 said:
Pickup some aftermarket carry cases - the kind that are adjustable for various size radios. Adjust them so the radios with belt clips will fit in them. Then bolt 'em to the wall of the cab or where ever. Insert radio, fasten the securing strap and you are good to go.

That's kind of the default way we were thinking of going, so thanks. I was hoping that someone may have had a different/better idea, just in case.

FYI - we need the radio to be able to stay latched on the dash during a 10g pull, which works out to a pull (any direction) of about 13.5 lbs.

InstallDude

May 24, 2010
United States/Texas
We use the Motorola Kit#RLN4884BSP01.It is the holder,mount,and strap,that comes with the RLN4884B charger,just without the electronics.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
Some aftermarket charger manufacturers have vehicle chargers with bungee straps that go over the radio top to hold them securely in place.$69 a pop.Cheaper than a Motorola 12VDC cig plug type thing.

Endura and Impact are 2 brands we sell and have used for exactly this purpose.Nice ,neat looking and you can use them to charge the portables if needed,or spare batteries for those loooong incidents.

They come with mounting bracket ( L bracket) ,power cord,bungee strap and charger tray.Plus you can keep belt clips on them. The adaptor cup for the XTS1500 is called a Motorola-5/7 (M5/7) style cup.

DC-1.jpg

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
InstallDude said:
We use the Motorola Kit#RLN4884BSP01.It is the holder,mount,and strap,that comes with the RLN4884B charger,just without the electronics.

Thanks. It comes with a bungee strap or something? I just don't see that on any of the pictures I can see online.

That might work well.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
leftcoastmark said:
Thanks. It comes with a bungee strap or something? I just don't see that on any of the pictures I can see online.

That might work well.

A strap comes with that model

Last edited by a moderator:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
You can buy those minibungees at various hardware stores. Maybe combination of the belt clip and a bungee from same point that the belt clip is on, over and around the radio/antenna/vol/ch controls, would fit the bill??

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
BigWil said:

The problem with most RAM stuff is it requires friction to hold stuff, which isn't suitable for a safe mounting solution. We do a TON of in-vehicle computer mounts (not RAM) and see problems with this all the time.

We're exploring the motorola charger base idea now. I'll let y'all know how it works out. Many thanks for the comments so far.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Just get a Motorola Portable Radio Case and bolt/screw it down, simple and easy and have seen it done.

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
I can tell you guys that the bungee cord method really works.We have two portables in each of our engines (1 bungee) a peice right in the middle of the portable works just fine... :thumbsup:

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
There are several MOLLE gear pouches that could serve this purpose, or use a forest service MOLLE compatible radio chest harness that has fastex buckles instead.

Blackhawk makes a USAR harness that could be secured through some D-ring brackets, and could be removed on scene to serve double duty.

For example, COAXSHER MOLLE Radio Holster

A single radio holster that you can attach just about anywhere. The MOLLE Radio Holster is capable of holding the Bendix King down to smaller size radios.

Attachment capabilities of the MOLLE Radio Holster are as follows:

• Hip-belt on a Coaxsher backpack

• Shoulder straps on a Coaxsher backpack

• Front of MOLLE Chest Harness

• Belt on pants

• Any item with the MOLLE attachment system

7" H x 3 1/2" W x 1 - 1 3/4" D

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
RMBROWN said:
I can tell you guys that the bungee cord method really works.We have two portables in each of our engines (1 bungee) a peice right in the middle of the portable works just fine... :thumbsup:
What type of bungee did you use? We used that method for a while but found out they wore fast, especially after everyday use multiple times.

Race car two way radio holders are perfect for what you need they are a solid boxed pouch more or less that would normally be mounted on the roll bar of the race car to put the "spotters" radio in ..they bolt on and then the radio drops in and is secured by a strap. Holds the radio in when a race car rools at 100+ Mph I would certainly think they would stay in when an engine tips over.

check with places like RH2way.com or Franksradio.com or just google racing radio equipment.....there are lots of suppliers for racing stuff out there for various applications

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
actualy the logical thing to do would NOT get in a rollover/accident.

but we all know "it" happens

so does bacon. but bacon is a million times better that "it"

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
This all nonsense. If they are really that worried about, tell them to keep the portable radios in a compartment and not in the cab.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
lafd55 said:
Just get a Motorola Portable Radio Case and bolt/screw it down, simple and easy and have seen it done.

As mentioned in the OP, the client uses belt clips on their radios so the radio won't fit into the case.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
speedwaysafety said:
Race car two way radio holders are perfect for what you need they are a solid boxed pouch more or less that would normally be mounted on the roll bar of the race car to put the "spotters" radio in ..they bolt on and then the radio drops in and is secured by a strap. Holds the radio in when a race car rools at 100+ Mph I would certainly think they would stay in when an engine tips over.

check with places like RH2way.com or Franksradio.com or just google racing radio equipment.....there are lots of suppliers for racing stuff out there for various applications

Ooh, I like this one. Thank you.

wema628

May 30, 2010
USA / Tennessee
try these motorola part numbers. we place these in some units around here.

TDN9327A

TDN9373A

there is another one that works great but i cant find the part number right now. ill find it next week

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Any case with bungee cord across the top should work. If the clip gets in the way, put the radio in backwards so it can clip over the front lip of the case..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.