Security with siren

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
I saw this today in Hyattsville MD at a office building that has a bunch of different businesses in it so I'm unsure if there office was there or if it was a patrol for the building

image-2387879854.jpg

image-4288682641.jpg

image-870063450.jpg

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
As long as it is used on their property and no where else I don't see a problem. Whacktastic yes, useful maybe, Illegal "no"(AS LONG AS IT IS ON PROPERTY AND NOWHERE ELSE!!). Personally I don't like Security companies with sirens or cars that look like actual police cars.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
I don't see why companies can't just use the word 'Security'. What's wrong with the word 'Security'?

Of course, we've just about done away with the word 'Secretary'. Now they want to be called 'Administrative Assistant'. Maybe the word 'Security' will be replaced with the term 'Administrative Protectant'. :haha:

IshyFlynn

Feb 8, 2012
Maine
fireman658 said:
Maybe they're just using it for the PA function.

I see legitimate reasons for security to have a PA system.

My question is... is that a Edge 9000? I mean, it looks like one, but... ?

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
Does this company have guards who are SPO's?

I believe Special Police in MD are allowed to use sirens. I've even seen pictures of special police with red and blue lights too.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
At my work we are security police and have blue lights and sirens but all of our stuff says NASA on it. This company works out of the building and just has regular security that does apartments. Also green and a Siren don't mix l

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Are you positive the siren is activable ?

Maybe that's all the equipment they had (used, second-hand...), and although there seems to be an HP and controls, it'snot connected.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Personal oppinion, but unless you're qualified and allowed to proceed against a negative traffic control signal or otherwise "run code" you have no need for a siren. If it's been disconnected, remove it to reduce apperances and help prevent potential problems. If you use it ONLY for the PA function, why not a Whelen PAP112 or similar?

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
foxtrot5 said:
Personal oppinion, but unless you're qualified and allowed to proceed against a negative traffic control signal or otherwise "run code" you have no need for a siren. If it's been disconnected, remove it to reduce apperances and help prevent potential problems. If you use it ONLY for the PA function, why not a Whelen PAP112 or similar?

Maybe they got the equipment for free or a cheap deal.. I have seen plenty of FFs that have gotten good deals on sirens and disabled them just to use the airhorn.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
foxtrot5 said:

Used sirens are cheap and plentiful. I've seen a Whelen PA/AH unit maybe once in my life. And they're not cheap.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I understand where you're all comming from about how used sirens are cheap/easy to get a hold of, but I personally don't like the idea of those not allowed to use them having them. Personal oppinion is all, no facts/figures/diagrams/anything to back it up. I conceed that it is an easier option to use an old siren, I just don't like it.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
LOL at the anti-security people here.

If they are on private property, they ARE authorized to have it so get over it. Once they hit the property line, the siren gets switched off. An area mall around here has city streets running within it. They have 24/7 police as well as mall security. All security vehicles have lights and sirens and are authorized to run them on those city streets within the mall for emergencies.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Well, I've been security and retired from being a LEO, so I'm not biased one way or the other. When I was 19 years old, I was armed driving a security patrol car at night that had a mechanical siren in the lightbar. I hit it one night behind some old factory I was checking just to see how loud it was, but I never used it when I worked. Wasn't a big deal having it. Hire and supervise professional people and it shouldn't be an issue. You don't need a siren to pull people over, and I doubt they use it for that. I could see where a security officer may use it to disperse a crowd pulling up to a disturbance. One quick burst of the siren and it would be a-holes and elbows....and less people to deal with.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.