Setting up my switch box (Suggestions)

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
Here is my equipment I will be using. Right now I have a 4 position switch box.

Whelen Mini Edge 9000 strobe light bar

Whelen Dash King 2000 Strobe

License plate bracket with 2 whelen LIN3 LED

2 or 3 unknown brand LED lights in the front grill.

Eventually I will have LED lights in the side windows.

So, for now:

Switch 1?

Switch 2?

Switch 3?

Switch 4?

The mini edge has take downs and alley lights. Not sure I need them at this point.

I was informed that head and tail light flashers don't play well with my 2004 Explorer so not sure if there is anything else that can be done. Wig wags? If so, that would fill 1 switch.

I was given most of this equipment so if I can make it work there is no need for me to buy a new switch box right now.

I do have a spot on my dash where I could put 3 custom switches if needed.

Thanks

Suggestions please.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I'd go with the traditional "1=back lights, 2= 1 & front/side lights, 3=1 & 2 plus wigwags, alleys & TDs" set up.

My Explorer didn't play well with wigwags either.  I disconnected 'em and simply used two Feniex Titan 100s (Soon to be Cobra 100s) in the 20-degree spot configuration at the top outer sides of the grille, right below the hood.  I had to dremel away a little of the horizontal portion of the slats in the grille for them to fit, but now I have wigwags independent of the headlights that also function as steady takedowns.  I used Feniex Cannons in the clear back-up lamp portion of the tail lights too.

My other suggestion, not knowing what kind of switches you have, is use them to trigger relays rather than drawing all the current for everything through the switches themselves.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Switch 1: rear only

Switch 2: rear & sides

Switch 3: all Amber

Switch 4: everything (including any clear that you have flashing, assuming you're allowed to use them)

Another setup to consider is the option to turn on the grill and LP lights only when the car is off (ie if you're gonna be parked on scene for short amount of time, then just have a few perimeter LEDs going and turn your engine off...I had some lin4s on my old POV that were wired directly to the battery so that I could turn my engine off and leave some lights on when I was parked on scene for 15-20 min at medical calls b/c amp draw is so low)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Surgicalcric

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Here is my equipment I will be using. Right now I have a 4 position switch box.

I believe my box is an older Able 2 box.

The
That is a basic switch box. The wording you used to describe it earlier as a 4-position switch box implied that it had a slide switch (activates a combination of relay outputs), whereas this is just a basic 4 output switch box, so you'll probably just have 1 switch assigned for each light

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Edge on one switch

Dashking on the 2nd switch

LEDs on the 3rd switch

4th switch open for other lights at a later time

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.