Shipping a 72 inch bar

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Looking at a 72 inch C3 MX7K 5 section that I can get locally and would likely sell. How the crap would I ship it? Anyone with experience?

I used the search and tried to find something in some other threads but can't find anything.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Recently did this with a Whelen. Bought a FedEx golf bag box (48*15*15) and a FedEx 16" cube ($18ish total) and blended them together. Worked awesome and shipping cost was only around $100

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Thanks for the replies. Packing I've got covered. I was referring more towards carriers to ship. Something that big surely has to go freight/cargo? Would I be better off using a trucking company (ABF, Yellow, etc.) or good ol' fedex, ups, usps?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Ok. Thanks. The length thing had me really scratching my head.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
It definitely behooves you to shop around on shipping quotes..
Best bet is compare online using quote tools and then go with what you want.
I have used all 3 major shippers.. and they all sucked at one point or another.. just sayin

Reactions: Sparky_911

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I had damage with both FedEx and UPS on large items, so I usually just take the cheaper of the two. Its still a gamble either way. Just package it as well as you can to protect the item and then keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully 3rd shift at one of the terminals wont use it for a baseball bat.

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
I had a 69" mx bar shipped to me by fedex and arrived safe and sound.

Purchased it from fighting17th here, and have done numerous other transactions with him.

It only cost him a little more than 40 to ship it

Attachments

• 1526326651292898913934.jpg
    1526326651292898913934.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 8
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I had a 69" mx bar shipped to me by fedex and arrived safe and sound.

Purchased it from fighting17th here, and have done numerous other transactions with him.

It only cost him a little more than 40 to ship it

So this price is deceptive.. cost depends on size, weight, and origin and destination. As I mentioned gather multiple quotes..
What @EHFD_Tower_751 doesn't mention is where either origin or destination was.. So for his transaction that is normal.. but if your shipping from east to west coast, or some other long distance.. don't expect $40. A great example would be my dealing with @empire5150, when I have to ship to him the costs are relatively low... I think I even shipped a Visibar to him at a fairly reasonable price... but that is PA to NH... on the flip side I send things to TN and the cost is 2x to 3x what it costs to ship to NH..

Also I 2nd what @southpaw recommended... you can get what is called sports utility or lamp box.. that is 48*12*12 from a uhaul.. you can then combine the 2 boxes and mail just about any light bar.. except for lights like Vectors... etc.

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Please note.. those comments came from soutthpaw, not southpaw.... If I might suggest soutthpaw, please consider a revision of sorts so your comments, mail, and such are not confused with southpaw, as has happened before and just again as above...

Reactions: Tony P

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I'very used the uhaul sportsman box and ups golf bag box and am familiar with em. I was more concerned about cost of shippinga bar that long. I'very done several 48 and even a 50 to west coast, but 72 just seems like a pita. Id almost rather do local p/u or keep it, lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOHCZC

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.