Shoulda Let Him Drown

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
" ... sue his rescuers and other authorities. He says he needs help paying medical bills."

I may sue everyone on eLightbars. I need more blinkies. :undecided:

Mrbaxter

Oct 16, 2013
Connecticut
What a jerk off. Its amazing that he says he needed "Road Closed" signs to warn him of the flooded road. Guess the 3 feet deep rushing water wasn't a good enough sign for him...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
JazzDad said:
I may sue everyone on eLightbars. I need more blinkies. :undecided:
So do I... I smell class action suit. Anyone else aboard?

Mrbaxter said:
What a jerk off. Its amazing that he says he needed "Road Closed" signs to warn him of the flooded road. Guess the 3 feet deep rushing water wasn't a good enough sign for him...

or the missing section of roadway... big enough to park a transport trailer in...

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Sounds like his gripe is that he believes rescuers/officials didn't check to make sure he was still in the vehicle initially, and that his rescue was delayed until someone realized he was actually in there.

Additionally it sounds like he feels the local government didn't do a good enough job protecting the citizens (him) from injury with a road that he believes the authorities knew was washed out.

I can't really say I have an opinion on the subject, but if he wants to sue, I say let him... if it's a bogus suit it'll get thrown out before it goes anywhere, and if he has a legitimate claim, then the process will be applied.

*shrug*

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
No no no no. If the road should have been marked with a hey a**hole, don't drive here sign, you sure the roads dept. YOU DON'T SUE THE PEOPLE WHO PULLED YOUR FULL RETARD ARSE OUT!!! Seriously, it's the fire department's fault you did exactly what they tell you NOT to do and drive on a flooded roadway? This case needs to go.

And yes, I'll be the one to say this one, suppose you sue the fire dept, then suppose one day your place catches fire. Then suppose they arrive and decide a defensive stance is the way to go. Of course, then he'd probably sue the dept for not doing more to save his house.

But I mean come on, file a suit, then tip your hand by saying you need money to pay the bills? Go get on Obamacare, the bleeding heat liberals will cut ya a check.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Zack said:
I can't really say I have an opinion on the subject, but if he wants to sue, I say let him... if it's a bogus suit it'll get thrown out before it goes anywhere, and if he has a legitimate claim, then the process will be applied.

*shrug*

If its a bogus suit the jurisdiction will still have substantial costs preparing an initial defense. The paramedics being sued will have substantial stress and fear about doing their job. It will waste court time as judges and legal assistants have to sift through all the crap to figure out if it is a merited suit or not.

This isn't just paperwork... this is real people being affected and real money being spent to defend a frivolous lawsuit. You speak as someone who has never been the subject of some BS suit while doing your job. I wonder if you would have the same cavalier attitude if you were the paramedic being sued... wondering if you would lose your house, your savings, your job, etc.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Sounds like he is saying they should have checked his car because they didn't know if anyone was in it. Well, trouble with that is, why should they risk getting killed to check on the car of a dumbass who drove on a clearly washed out road? Moron. Screw him. They should counter sue HIS ass.

That was the policy of our union. Any suit filed naming an officer resulted in immediate counter suit asking for damages from the plaintiff. Amazing how many nuisance suits either fizzled out quickly or didn't get filed in the first place. It's one thing to try and win the lawsuit lottery, but entirely another when YOUR shit might go bye bye.

Too many nuisance suits get settled, which opens the flood gates.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
mcpd2025 said:
If its a bogus suit the jurisdiction will still have substantial costs preparing an initial defense. The paramedics being sued will have substantial stress and fear about doing their job. It will waste court time as judges and legal assistants have to sift through all the crap to figure out if it is a merited suit or not.

This isn't just paperwork... this is real people being affected and real money being spent to defend a frivolous lawsuit. You speak as someone who has never been the subject of some BS suit while doing your job. I wonder if you would have the same cavalier attitude if you were the paramedic being sued... wondering if you would lose your house, your savings, your job, etc.

I'm going to take a copout here by saying that I'm too lazy/tired to find the references (although I know Rand published work on it), but the short-of-the-long-of-it is that the tort system in the United States is not only *not* overloaded, but there doesn't exist any real evidence to suggest that frivolous lawsuits are clogging any system or costing any money. When a case has merit, then it is allowed to proceed and all parties involved are required to do their diligence in creating their defense/case and pleading it in court. When a case does not have merit, they are thrown out early, much too early to impose any substantial, if any at all, cost to the taxpayer. (That's not to say that there aren't cases where the plaintiff loses, but the case still had *merit*.)

There just isn't evidence to support there being a problem with frivolous suits that everyone seems to think there is.

And to your second point; I have in fact been named the defendant, along with my partner, in a civil suit alleging malpractice from an incident that occurred while we were on duty. I've been through that process, and I know what it's like to worry about those things.

That said, my opinion on the matter is what it is.... and the same rights this bozo has to file his suit extend to you and me, and allow us to file our suits for wrongdoings to us.

This is just the civil side of "innocent until proven guilty." We wouldn't argue (at least I hope we wouldn't) that some people are "just plain guilty" and don't deserve a defense in court... which is why I'm stating that on the civil side, we shouldn't say this guy is "just plain stupid" and deny his right to call someone to task for a perceived wrong-doing.

$0.02

[Broken External Image]:http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/better-call-saul.jpg

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Zack, you are entitled to your opinion. I completely disagree with it. I'm not certain how you can argue that any lawsuit doesn't cost money. Do you think the clerk handling the paperwork doesn't get paid? How about the legal assistant that does the groundwork? How about the judge that has to sit and hear the case? How about any of the other people that are involved in the process? It costs money. You can argue that these people were already on the payrolls and collecting money... maybe that is your point. How about the department needing to hire a lawyer and legal assistants who research the issue and prepare a defense? That wasn't money already being spent. How about the amount of time that the medics are off the street, either suspended with pay during the investigation or going to depositions and otherwise helping to prepare a defense? That is REAL MONEY and those are hours that the jurisdiction is lower on staffing. Maybe the jurisdiction needs to pay other guys overtime to backfill the empty spot. More money.

With all due respect... you have malpractice insurance that covers your liability. Most medics, firefighters, cops etc do NOT have malpractice insurance. That is a highly stressful time in their life. Congrats to you for breezing through your lawsuit. I know multiple people that have gone through these frivolous suits and it has wrecked their lives. The stress and fear from these lawsuits has unfortunately led to problems at home for some of them, leading to divorce. Back to the money issue... tell me that doesn't cost money. All these negative effects over a sleazebag attorney trying to turn a quick profit from a non sense lawsuit.

You can support them all you want, that is your prerogative. I think that attorneys and their clients should be held financially responsible for bringing nonsensical lawsuits like this into a courtroom. It doesn't cost hardly any money to sue anyone nowadays. Especially when you have the real slimeball attorneys that promise "you don't pay anything unless we collect money". They know that if they file enough suits, someone will decide that it is easier to settle the suit than to fight it. If attorneys and their clients were held responsible and forced to pay the costs associated by the defense on the other side, it would really cut back on these nonsense cases.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
This guys photo and information should be posted at all his area PD's, FD's, EMS stations with a big "CAUTION: MIGHT SUE YOU IF YOU ATTEMPT LIFE SAVING ACTIONS" scrolled across the top in red ink.

This guy sounds like he needs to lose his license. Clearly, he is too stupid to drive.

I hate when people intentionally attempt to cross a flodded street then have an oh shit moment when they get jammed up. I knew of a firefighter that got swept away because 2 teens went around a "ROAD CLOSED" sign thinking their truck could make it. It didnt, but thats ok right? They got to go home to their families right? Good for them, horrible for a family, a department and community who has to bury a firefighter because of a dumbass. Sorry for the rant.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
No need to be sorry. 100% justified in my book.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I hate lawyers especially the ones that defend criminals and idiots like that guy that should be full of embalming fluid right now....

The city of harlingen Texas is being sued right now also because a 16 year old illegal driver with 7 family members inside a 4 door f-250 cut off a City garbage truck causing the garbage truck to T BONE them killing the stupid kid driver and most of his family...

Now the survivors want to sue the city for millions even though the kid had no valid driver's license and CUT OFF a big ass truck...

If it were up to me i would sue them in behave of the city citizens for making my trash pick up late that day because they are to stupid to fucken drive.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
They should issue a "DNR-MS" (Do Not Resuscitate-Might Sue) braclet to the stupid twat :rolleyes: .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.