shutting down sirens before an intersection

lately ive been noticing a strange trend with a few private ambulances around here (NYC) and was wondering what the deal is with it. About 50 to 100 feet before an intersection the driver will have the siren on wail or yelp and then hit the air horn a few times then shut the siren down completely before heading through the intersection regardless of the traffic light color. Ive only noticed this with private companies and i was wondering whats the reason for that is?

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
That's goofy... even if I can see that every driver has stopped for me, I leave the siren on until I clear the intersection! Now, sometimes I'll kill the siren approaching an intersection if I want to take the right shoulder, but will turn it back on before I enter it, but I think most drivers do that. (Most people are taught pull to the right if you hear a siren, and it's quicker to take an empty shoulder than trying to clear a few stopped lanes)

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
It's possible some jackhole is suing an ambulance company for hearing damage because they ran the siren while going through an intersection that people were walking through. I know it sounds stupid, but hey, firemen were suing Federal because the Q was hurting their ears.

May 22, 2010
New York City
im also from staten island............ but i havent noticed this at all............ where have you been seeing this? what companies? im going to look more carefully now........... but i live near one of the biggest intersections in the boro, and never noticed it !!

911 said:
im also from staten island............ but i havent noticed this at all............ where have you been seeing this? what companies? im going to look more carefully now........... but i live near one of the biggest intersections in the boro, and never noticed it !!

Ive noticed it at victory and clove and the other time when outside the 120 PCT. One of the companies was Richmond county and i don't recall the other company because i was just coming off after the parade last weekend and i was exhausted.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Henry455 said:
Maybe to hear other emergency vehicles coming cross traffic, ???
I don't shut down the siren at intersections, but if it is a blind one where I don't have a good view left and right for at least a hundred yards, I let the siren wind down briefly for that exact reason.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
NPS Ranger said:
That's done so you can better hear the horns and screech of rubber from the vehicles about to broadside your rig!

Hilarious.

Thats kind of weird why they do that.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
EMS in our city has been taught that approaching a heavily packed intersection to shut down their siren so as to avoid "pushing" someone into an intersection. Fire and police do not practice this.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
If there is no immediate lane of travel at a busy stopped intersection, I opt for the right turn lane. It's easier to push traffic around a right turn safely.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
patrol530 said:
If there is no immediate lane of travel at a busy stopped intersection, I opt for the right turn lane. It's easier to push traffic around a right turn safely.

Which goes against the whole 'passing on the left' thing. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. :yes: :no:

** PS, I do understand your reasoning behind it, just making an observation.**

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
I don't live in a big city, mostly rural to be infact, so I can't speak for NYC ambulances, but why the siren off. Like Steve0625 said, I could see winding the siren down, but most ambulances that I've ever seen don't have a Q, simulated or not. When I go through an intersection, I hit Hi Lo (or phaser) depending which vehicle I'm driving, and the A/H. Some places astonish me on the things they don't do. I'll get off my rambling. :rolleyes:

Caleb

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
calebsheltonmed23 said:
I don't live in a big city, mostly rural to be infact, so I can't speak for NYC ambulances, but why the siren off. Like Steve0625 said, I could see winding the siren down, but most ambulances that I've ever seen don't have a Q, simulated or not. When I go through an intersection, I hit Hi Lo (or phaser) depending which vehicle I'm driving, and the A/H. Some places astonish me on the things they don't do. I'll get off my rambling. :rolleyes:
Caleb

+1. When I first read the title of this thread I had a "wait, WTF," moment.

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
Back in the 90's (ya, I've been around a while) military ambulances had to shut off their sirens and get on the PA and say "clear the intersection, ambulance" always scratched my head on that one considering the side of it said "Ambulance". :weird:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
NYS VTL requires all Authorized Emergency Vehicles except Police vehicles to display the proper colored lights and activate a sound device (siren/air horn/veh horn) the entire time it's engaged in "Emergency Operation", they can't use one without the other, so what you're describing is actually illegal.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
The national recognized materials I use to teach driver's training each year recommend changing siren tones when approaching and intersection to gain further attention, shutting them off is asking for something to happen. :nono:

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
CHIEFOPS said:
NYS VTL requires all Authorized Emergency Vehicles except Police vehicles to display the proper colored lights and activate a sound device (siren/air horn/veh horn) the entire time it's engaged in "Emergency Operation", they can't use one without the other, so what you're describing is actually illegal.

+1! Same in MO, and should be every where IMO.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.