Siren Install

theroofable

Veteran Member
May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Hi,

I have a Unitrol Omega 90 Amp/ 8000 Controler unit coming in this week and I had some installation questions. 1-It reccommends that 10 guage wire and a 50 amp fuse are used to power up this unit. Im using probably only 10 amps on the aux switches, it is rated for much more, so would it be safe to use my current 30 amp inline fuse with a 12 guage power wire from the battery? Or would it be better to go with a 50 amp relay? 2-It also reccommends that the unit be grounded directly to the battery, why is this? Does it even matter or is it required for saftey?

Thanks!

1) I personally would run an 8 or 10g power wire to the siren/8001. Reason being do it now, and if you ever want to add anything later, the infostructure for whatever you want to run is already there... You can never go wrong with increasing your wire size.

2) A direct ground to the battery ensures that the siren will run properly. If you can, follow the manufacturers recommendations. They're there for a reason. If you can't ground it at the battery, ground it at one of the grounding locations used by your vehicle manufacturer. That also should be adequate.

Unitrols and smart sirens are picky about their grounds. If it says ground to battery I'd follow that instruction.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381