Siren not as loud as it should be

fireman1

Nov 3, 2011
PA
I have, what is probably a really dumb question. You'll have to excuse me as I'm not good at the mechanics of things. I recently had a Code 3 MicroCom 2 installed. I bought it used and is about a year old. I really don't think the siren is as loud as it should be from a 200 watt siren. It sounds as loud, if not quieter than the 100 watt sirens in our apparatus. Now for my dumb question...I had the siren hooked up to a new STL (I know) 200 watt compact speaker. As the installer was working on the siren he noticed that the power and ground wire had been actually sealed in to the speaker itself. He had to cut the wires out and re caulk around it. I am guessing that’s the reason for the quietness, but I wanted to ask if it could be an issue with the siren amp itself before going and spending the money i should of spent to beginning with and get a good name brand speaker...

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Definitely could have something to do with the quality of the speaker. I've noticed some brand of speakers are louder than others, the quieter being less expensive/lower quality.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

fireman1

Nov 3, 2011
PA
Ok I figured it was probably the speaker, and probably should of known better lol. And thanks for the offer, but I'm in north western PA.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
fireman1 said:
Ok I figured it was probably the speaker, and probably should of known better lol. And thanks for the offer, but I'm in north western PA.

Oh well. There are plenty of decent used speakers for sale here and on the 'Bay for under 75 bucks.

For kicks, I just asked STL about the impedance of their "200 W" speaker, and they said it's 11 ohms, which means it's only going to produce 100 W from a standard siren amp.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
You are actually better off with a good 100w speaker mounted well than a bad 200w one. Make sure the siren is setup and wired for 200w, but the speaker is suspect number one.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
MtnMan said:
MicroCom 2 doesn't have a 58 W output.

True, but it can be 100w

fireman1

Nov 3, 2011
PA
The STL speaker was definitely the problem! I just replaced it with a used Whelen SA314 speaker, and the difference was night and day. With the STL "200 watt" I was able to stand in front of my car with the siren on, and not have to plug my ears! Tried with the Whelen speaker, and almost blew my ear drum out! Haha.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
John is right about using two 100-watt speakers for best results. That's what we did with the EQ2B siren we had on our '92 Type II Ford ambulance. It came with a pair of CPI 100 watt speaker/lights built into the grille. The original siren was a PA500 which sounded like crap; so we replaced it with the EQ2. The two speakers handled the siren with no problem....but did they get hot!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsuarre

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.