Siren not to be used as a siren.....

Midwest blazer

Junior Member
To begin, there will NOT be a speaker attached to any possible siren I purchase as I do not need one and it would be illegal in WI for me to do so, therefore opinions on tones is irrelevant. It is very possible this post is in the wrong place, if so please take my apologies and move it, just seemed this is where all the smart siren, cencom etc. posts are. I have a six switch lightning x switchbox I bought to hook up my feniex grill lights, dual avenger, side mounted lights and a awl (rocket) six head ta. However I can not find a place to mount this thing in my 2000 blazer. I have been looking into remote sirens, damega ultimate controller, smart siren, cencom etc. and it looks like one of those control heads would fit nicely in the garage door opener slot on my overhead console. Keeping in mind that I have minimal wiring experience and almost no knowledge on these type of controllers, what would be the best choice for me based on price and limited programming? Or if anybody knows of a good decent priced slim switchbox I'd be interested in looking into that as well. Thanks
 

Core Public Safety

Premium Member
Silver Donor
If you're buying new, I'd consider the Feniex 4200. The brain box is pretty small and you wouldn't be paying for siren functionality you're never going to use. It would also save you about $300 over a Cencom or Smart Siren.


That being said though you can get a Cencom or Smart Siren used pretty cheaply if you watch the classifieds. I've had both, and I like both. They are very solid units.
 

Midwest blazer

Junior Member
Thread Starter
Thanks for the input. Seems I should head over to the for sale section and see if I can find me a decent complete ss or cencom. Thanks.
 

Tom

Premium Member
I remember someone had 3 SmartSiren units yesterday for $135 each in the FS section
 

Midwest blazer

Junior Member
Thread Starter
Tom said:
I remember someone had 3 SmartSiren units yesterday for $135 each in the FS section

Thanks Tom, I did see that while going through the vast amount of posts that pop up when you type smart siren, it was here: http://elightbars.org/forums/f95/whelen-vertex-dominator-avenger-linz6-ss2000-talon-sa315p-ion-m7-m4-cencom-inner-edge-50000/ but it says it comes with main harness only. If someone wouldn't mind catering to a noob, is there any other harness I would have to find to make it work?
 

Iowamedic2013

Suspended
Midwest blazer said:
Thanks Tom, I did see that while going through the vast amount of posts that pop up when you type smart siren, it was here: http://elightbars.org/forums/f95/whelen-vertex-dominator-avenger-linz6-ss2000-talon-sa315p-ion-m7-m4-cencom-inner-edge-50000/ but it says it comes with main harness only. If someone wouldn't mind catering to a noob, is there any other harness I would have to find to make it work?

You would need the cable that goes from the "brain" to the control pad..can be bought on ebay for about 10 bucks
 

Midwest blazer

Junior Member
Thread Starter
Iowamedic2013 said:
You would need the cable that goes from the "brain" to the control pad..can be bought on ebay for about 10 bucks

That's what I was thinking, already found one for $6 on eBay. I appreciate the help.
 

Core Public Safety

Premium Member
Silver Donor
CHIEFOPS said:
Brookings 993

Brooking Industries


Functions/features identical to FS SmartSiren absent the siren

I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement. We sell them and they are very nice but they don't have the programming flexibility that the a 'smart siren'esque system will. Also they aren't really a remote unit, all of the wiring terminates into the back of the unit so you need a little bit of clearance and you have to either run all of the wires for your equipment up to it or make your own wiring harness. We've done it before but it gets a little messy. If you go with a smart siren style product you can mount the brains wherever it is convenient and all you have to run to the control pad location is the wire for the control head. That's just my two cents though.
 

Midwest blazer

Junior Member
Thread Starter
I'm loving the input guys, great ideas, don't know what I'd do without this site. Sounds like I have a good chance of picking up a smart siren for around $150 and it seems like it's my best options aside from spending double on the remote Switch Box. The Brookings one would work great but I am worried about the depth. Attached pics with what I'm dealing with.

20140414_085514.jpg

20140414_085502.jpg
 

MtnMan

Senior Member
Midwest blazer said:
I'm loving the input guys, great ideas, don't know what I'd do without this site. Sounds like I have a good chance of picking up a smart siren for around $150 and it seems like it's my best options aside from spending double on the remote Switch Box.

Nothing against the SS, but the Sho Me box isn't double the price


Able2 Sho-Me Undercover 8 Function Switch Box & Mini Controller - 31.8040 from SWPS.com


Able2 Sho-Me Undercover 4 Function Switch Box & Mini Controller - 31.4040 from SWPS.com
 

Midwest blazer

Junior Member
Thread Starter
Sorry guys, comparing used and new, just found a used ss for $135, and didn't have much luck finding a used SHO-ME which has an msrp of $299. Obviously msrp for a new ss far outstrips $300 but in the case of options I found it did indeed come out to about double. It would have been nice to find the show me second hand, think it might have fit nicer, but in this case the ss should work. I do appreciate all the input and hope this threads helps somebody else out, especially in the case that they have a truck as bad as the blazer to try and install in.
 

CHIEFOPS

Senior Member
code60a said:
I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement. We sell them and they are very nice but they don't have the programming flexibility that the a 'smart siren'esque system will. Also they aren't really a remote unit, all of the wiring terminates into the back of the unit so you need a little bit of clearance and you have to either run all of the wires for your equipment up to it or make your own wiring harness. We've done it before but it gets a little messy. If you go with a smart siren style product you can mount the brains wherever it is convenient and all you have to run to the control pad location is the wire for the control head. That's just my two cents though.

"programing flexibility"? Same flexibility as the SS, all switches are programmable. Physical installation parameters- front mount vs. remote mount, a fair comparison, but as far as function/features, they're the same.
 

7d9_z28

Gold Donor
a SS/Cencom/etc control head will not fit in the tiny garage opener spot overhead. I have the same overhead console basically in my 2500HD and I couldnt find a spot for my cencom head ANYWHERE.
 

Midwest blazer

Junior Member
Thread Starter
7d9_z28 said:
a SS/Cencom/etc control head will not fit in the tiny garage opener spot overhead. I have the same overhead console basically in my 2500HD and I couldnt find a spot for my cencom head ANYWHERE.


Yeah I came to that same conclusion. My current plan once I get the thing in the mail is to see if I can take our the door behind the glasses slot which is more sizeable and possibly the glasses slot itself out. There seems to be absolutely no use for the third area and none for the glasses area either. Or maybe I'll work a bracket to attach to the garage door opener slot and it'll just stick over the edges a bit.
 

7d9_z28

Gold Donor
you are better off with a small RAM type mount of your center console. Easier to see, less wire to run, etc.
 

Midwest blazer

Junior Member
Thread Starter
wrights lights llc said:
Mounting idea I kinda like it



Generally speaking that seems to be how I'm going to have to mount it, only problem I see is that it's going to take a lot of cord to get up there, but I'm only going to mount the brain behind the rear seats. Looks like it will be out of the way up there, yet easy to access.
 

Midwest blazer

Junior Member
Thread Starter
firemedic119 said:
If you're truly looking for just a nice switch panel without siren the Whelen PCC8R is a great option
View attachment 72772View attachment 72773


http://www.whelen.com/install/143/14326.pdf

I jumped the gun and grabbed a really decently priced smart siren, but should that not work, or I get sick of all the extra buttons I'll definitely have to look into that or the earlier mentioned sho me. Seems they both would have been perfect for my application, but maybe I'll shop around. I'm sure I could always sell that ss here.
 

Midwest blazer

Junior Member
Thread Starter
Forgot a couple months back I picked up this cell phone window mount that you just stick your phone too. Works perfect for the smart siren controller and I can swivel it wherever I want.

20140420_191806.jpg

20140420_191751.jpg
 

Staff online

Secure Browsing

Search for a Member

Top Bottom