Siren speaker Help

blown347

Mar 28, 2011
Topeka Ks
I have installed a 100w siren speaker on my truck and have a code 3 siren box it is hooked to. My speaker is a two wire setup. One black wire and one white wire. I have them run to my siren box and the instructions say to put one wire to the com. output and one to the speaker output. I have that done and all it is doing is making a static noise. Not sure what to do or how to fix this problem I have the link for the code 3 siren below. The wiring diagram was page 18 at the top left if you want to look at the diagram from what I have. are all speakers 2 wire. I would assume it needs a ground. I have the speaker grounded now but I assume it is suposed to be grounded with one of the wires coming out of it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the link

http://www.code3pse.com/public/media/inst_3990_series_rls_siren_5output_t10919_rev_6.pdf

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
blown347 said:
I have installed a 100w siren speaker on my truck and have a code 3 siren box it is hooked to. My speaker is a two wire setup. One black wire and one white wire. I have them run to my siren box and the instructions say to put one wire to the com. output and one to the speaker output. I have that done and all it is doing is making a static noise. Not sure what to do or how to fix this problem I have the link for the code 3 siren below. The wiring diagram was page 18 at the top left if you want to look at the diagram from what I have. are all speakers 2 wire. I would assume it needs a ground. I have the speaker grounded now but I assume it is suposed to be grounded with one of the wires coming out of it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the link

http://www.code3pse.com/public/media/inst_3990_series_rls_siren_5output_t10919_rev_6.pdf
Just a clarification. You have the speaker's white and black wires connected to the siren, or not?

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
u should have 2 wires connected to the siren from the speaker... nothing should be grounded from the speaker

blown347

Mar 28, 2011
Topeka Ks
Yes I have the two wires connected from the speaker to the siren. I have tried it with the speaker grounded and with it not grounded. But I still can't get it to sound correctly.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
blown347 said:
Yes I have the two wires connected from the speaker to the siren. I have tried it with the speaker grounded and with it not grounded. But I still can't get it to sound correctly.

what do u mean with the speaker grounded and not grounded?

blown347

Mar 28, 2011
Topeka Ks
I have the two wires hooked up to the siren the way the manual tells me to. I tried it first like that and just static comes across it like it is trying to sound but wont. Then as I looked at the speaker noticed there was a bolt on the back of the speaker that went into the metal housing. I assumed maybe it was a ground connection so I hooked up a ground wire to it. Same results So I took the ground wire back off. Now it just has the two speaker wires hooked up to the siren and I have tried switching the positions of the wires on the comm and speaker hookup and same result.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
blown347 said:
I have the two wires hooked up to the siren the way the manual tells me to. I tried it first like that and just static comes across it like it is trying to sound but wont. Then as I looked at the speaker noticed there was a bolt on the back of the speaker that went into the metal housing. I assumed maybe it was a ground connection so I hooked up a ground wire to it. Same results So I took the ground wire back off. Now it just has the two speaker wires hooked up to the siren and I have tried switching the positions of the wires on the comm and speaker hookup and same result.
Can you test the siren with a different speaker?

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
double check you power connections at the siren make sure u have an adequate ground and a good 12v power,,

is the siren new or used

when you activate the siren what happens

blown347

Mar 28, 2011
Topeka Ks
I can hear it switching when I turn the switch from level 1/ level 2/ and level 3 but no sound output. I know i have a good power and ground becuase it is supplying all of my warning lights. It is a good used tested unit. Also now that I messed with it a little when I hit my air horn button in makes the static noise but when I switch the box to level 3 it doesn't make any sound at all. Its just getting frusterating.

blown347

Mar 28, 2011
Topeka Ks
Ok Finally. After disconnecting the speaker and testing it with a different siren got it to work so I know that is not it now. Also I disconnected the speaker from the siren and got it to make the siren sounds inside the box with the speaker unhooked. Problem now is that when I swith the siren on even with the speaker unhooked it shuts the box down momentarily and shuts the sound inside the box down. It seems to me that its not getting correct power or ground but I know it is hooked up correctly.

kb4mdz

Aug 22, 2010
Cary, NC
Do you have a basic multi-meter? Volts/ohms/amps? Check the resistance of the speaker.

And help me on what you're describing. You said you hooked the speaker leads to another amplifier box; and it all worked. Right? And with no speaker attached to the amplifier box under question, you get some sound from the box, but it shuts down? Looks to me like the amplifier senses a 'no load/open load' condition and shuts down, to prevent damage. The manual you linked refers to Automatic Short Circuit Protection; it probably does similar for open circuit.

Just found it; the manual refers to 11-ohm speaker load; DC resistance is usually close. (P. 19 of the manual)

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Please do not take this the wrong way, but you might want to find someone with a little more knowledge of electronics and wiring to look at it. NEVER ground a siren speaker. It uses AC voltage not DC, you can mess something up real easy and quick if you are not careful.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsuarre

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.