Siren/Switches question.

LLS

May 23, 2010
NYC
Problem: How would I go about taking a Federal signal Siren, and using custom switches instead of the siren head.

Story:A friend of mine wants to hook up his BMW with L&S. There is absolutely no room for any key pads or brains, so I was wondering how I can hook up a siren to be used with switches that can be placed in weird positions.

Info:Please let me know what type of siren I should get him as well.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Go with an 80K, and use a rotary switch setup that controls lights, siren, and horn ring transfers. It occupies only 1.5" of real estate.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Technically any siren can be made remote if you know what you're doing. Some of the newer ones like the SmartSirens and Cencoms would be a little more difficult because of all of the circuitry, but anything that still has a knob or whatever would be fairly easy. What kind of siren are you talking about?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
LL&S said:
I was hoping someone could help me with what type of siren I should use.
EVModules said:
Go with an 80K, and use a rotary switch setup that controls lights, siren, and horn ring transfers. It occupies only 1.5" of real estate.

Agreed w/ Sean. Depending on switching/lights, real estate on the dash/counsel would be minimal.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
LL&S said:
I was hoping someone could help me with what type of siren I should use.

Oh, well in that case, I would go with Unitrol also, either the 80K or Omega 90, since they're awesome sirens, and they're meant to be mounted remotely, so all you have to do is hook the switch up to the correct wire...

May 22, 2010
Central WV
If you don't mind going away from the traditional remote mount control head and remote amp, then look at the handheld units. They have a remote mount amp that you can mount anywhere you can fit it (I know easier said than done sometimes, especially on European vehicles) and the control head is about the size of a remote control and you can put it where ever you want. I have an LCS-880 and I really like it. I'm looking to upgrade to the Sound Off 385 that just came out or even the Whelen HHS2200 when I have some spare money. I'm like your friend, I didn't have any space at all to mount a remote mount siren and light controller keypad upfront, let alone a regular style one, so the handheld was my only choice. FedSig and Code 3 also make handheld units that are siren and light control units.

If you want to stick with a more traditional keypad style unit, Able2/Sho-me has their new remote mount undercover siren and switchbox out now.

PM me if you are interested in a handheld unit and I'll get you some pricing. Hope that helps.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
The 80K requires minimal switching but if you want a PA function, you will need a newer siren. Also, if a siren has the touch tap feature, you could simply place a power switch to the remotely placed siren, and use the horn ring to change tones.

If you want an 80 K with the older tones and the toggle switch option, I may be willing to sell the one I have, or trade for a Federal PA 300 with some $$ or equipment to boot. I also have the install manual. This unit also has a neat feature for the air horn (separate wire). Also, I have the High/Low option wired, although you can switch it back to a hyper yelp.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.