Sirennet - Star Car installs a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) Vehicle

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
Star Car installs a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) Vehicle

Featuring:

Whelen 900 Series Linear Super-LED Lighthead ,SIRENNET.COM - Whelen 900 Series Linear Super-LED Lighthead

Whelen Pioneer Plus Dual Super-LED Floodlight,SIRENNET.COM - Whelen Pioneer Plus Dual Super-LED Floodlight

Brigade VBV-770D Color Camera Monitor System,SIRENNET.COM - Brigade VBV-770D Color Camera Monitor System

SoundOff Pinnacle Mini Lightbar, SIRENNET.COM - SoundOff Pinnacle Mini Lightbar

Whelen 400 Series 6 Over 6 Linear Super-LED Lighthead,SIRENNET.COM - Whelen 400 Series 6 Over 6 Linear Super-LED Lighthead

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
Yea; this is for the county where we had the mall shooting, and where they recently lost an officer to a previously unknown threat. I have a feeling they are not planning on giving an inch to any threat.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
This truck is def a top 10 in my ELB Bad A$$ list, but I only wish they went with solid color (& solid flash pattern) 900s on all sides; anything smaller than the 700s (single color) just look small to me on a truck like this

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
I agree, the parts list and pattern selection would not be my choice; but it was what the customer wanted.

They said they wanted the front lights down low, to make sure they are seen in case they need to pull someone over. :D

randys14

Jul 20, 2011
Cairo, IL
Sutphen 606 said:
Nice install. That version is called a "Cougar". I will say though that in my opinion it is a sad thing that LE needs a vehicle like that in the states.

This isn't a cougar, its a MaxxPro. Spent may of hours in one on my last deployment.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
It would have been a nice touch to add a flasher to the Pioneers so they can be used for warning as well as illumination.

Sutphen 606

May 9, 2011
Seneca, South Carolina.
randys14 said:
This isn't a cougar, its a MaxxPro. Spent may of hours in one on my last deployment.

Same Diff...its still not a Buff :thumbsup: We didnt have them when i was over here in 02 and everyone here refers to the maxx pro as a cougar i guess as slang.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
The MRAP's are being made available to law enforcement thru the LESO program for free and a lenco bearcat is 225 k to 250 k and most department don't have 250,000 for an armored vehicle. I have done all the work for my department to get a MRAP and was told this week of our pick up date so in 3 weeks we will be picking up a BAE Caiman MTV.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Whoaw !

Is this not a bit overkill ?

The MRAP was designed with the purpose of alleviating (at least mitigating) the consequences of an encounter with an IED in theater.

Wouldn't a "standard" armored vehicle (I'm thinking CIT look alike, but in a troop transport configuration) fit the bill for the US domestic scene?

Besides the cost must be huge... How much do they go for ? 1 mil a pop ?

Wouldn't it make better sense to train a few officers on how to operate an MRAP at the nearest Army / Marine base, and write up a protocol with the military for use/loan in case of crisis in town ?

Not my tax money, but gosh, that's extreme for whatever use might occur...

Also if for LE ops, on such type of vehicle, emergency equipment should be installed (or at least pre-installed) during the manufacturing process, not aftermarket.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
No walk around to showcase the front warning?...

Peculiar. Veery peculiar. Stewie slipping?....

:haha:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
TheGatekeeper said:
Whoaw !
Is this not a bit overkill ?

The MRAP was designed with the purpose of alleviating (at least mitigating) the consequences of an encounter with an IED in theater.

Wouldn't a "standard" armored vehicle (I'm thinking CIT look alike, but in a troop transport configuration) fit the bill for the US domestic scene?

Besides the cost must be huge... How much do they go for ? 1 mil a pop ?

Wouldn't it make better sense to train a few officers on how to operate an MRAP at the nearest Army / Marine base, and write up a protocol with the military for use/loan in case of crisis in town ?

Not my tax money, but gosh, that's extreme for whatever use might occur...

Also if for LE ops, on such type of vehicle, emergency equipment should be installed (or at least pre-installed) during the manufacturing process, not aftermarket.

AFAIK, they're being returned stateside, then re-purposed to LEO agencies for minimal coin, likely just operating and upfitting costs.

As for using loaned vehicles, these see a lot more training use than actual deployment use. Are the depts to go 'borrow keys' each and every time they train? Not to mention, if not their vehicle, they're not going to have radios for communications. Are we expecting officers to try and use portables in these? Good luck. Then, there's the equipment factor. Our SWAT team stores a bunch of equipment in the bearcat for rapid deployment. How long would it take to retrieve all the equipment, go get the keys, bring the MRAP to where the equipment is, load it, then go... not very rapid.

The US gov't is constantly providing equipment to agencies in this fashion. It'll see a lot more use this way than sitting in a lot waiting for the next world conflict.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Okay, that's an angle.

If the cost is as reduced as you say, it makes better sense indeed. The ratio event occurence vs response cost is then acceptable I suppose.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I remember agencies getting Hummers in the 90s after Iraq #1 for pennies on the dollar, if that.

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
fleetcomm said:
The MRAP's are being made available to law enforcement thru the LESO program for free and a lenco bearcat is 225 k to 250 k and most department don't have 250,000 for an armored vehicle. I have done all the work for my department to get a MRAP and was told this week of our pick up date so in 3 weeks we will be picking up a BAE Caiman.

We are fixing to work on a BAE Caiman mrap in a couple weeks.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
txff914 said:
We are fixing to work on a BAE Caiman mrap in a couple weeks.

I will be picking it up in your area on the 21st.

Reactions: MEVS06

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
rwo978 said:
I remember agencies getting Hummers in the 90s after Iraq #1 for pennies on the dollar, if that.

I have gotten 3 armored HMMWV's and 8 regular with low mileage.

Sutphen 606

May 9, 2011
Seneca, South Carolina.
The USG has hundreds of them over here in all variants. At one point the plan was to destroy all of them but congress found about that plan and it got nixed pretty quickly. Now they have hundreds of vehicles that were designed specificaly for the threat here and they have no where to put them. The staging areas that they use are full to the max. In Iraq we "sold" all of the up armored hummers to the Iraqis, but over here they have decided against giving them to the ANA. That leaves the law enforcement market at home. I am glad that the USG is trying to recoup some money on the vehicles however after talking with the mech's over here i dont think that the agencie's that are buying them know what they are really in for. The vehicles are expensive to maintain and thay are not what one would call fuel efficiant.Having the budget to buy one and havig the budget to maintain one are two very different things.

Reactions: Doug

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
I was at BAE just last week actually, looking at these going out to departments and IIRC, through a certain program with BAE and the Army, a LOT of these are actually going to departments for free. Its sad to see what has become of the facility in Sealy, hell the airconditioning is turned up 80* and the sinks and toilets barely have water pressure left. These are remann'd units going off the line at BAE freshly refurbed and ready for departments.

What gets me though, and I warned Jeremy last week about this, is the lack of info being given out on these to agencies and upfitters. The BIGGEST concern I have are people that simply have no idea what Sherwin Williams CARC coating/paint can do when sanded down and worked with without proper respiratory and eye protection. This is a lethal chemical coating on every military vehicle out there, and it blows my mind to think how many people will be getting this nasty shit in their lungs when working on these vehicles.

Reactions: NVFD612

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
What I have been told is there is only a skeleton crew left at the plant and BAE lost the contract to build MRAPS a few of years ago. The unit we will be picking up is a reboxed unit with all new rolling chassis with upgrades like independent front and rear suspension larger motor and different transmission. Oshkosh now has the contract to build the new version.

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
My local sheriff's dept just received two of these. I was slightly shocked lol. But then again, it's getting pretty crazy around here..

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
The USG has hundreds of them over here in all variants. At one point the plan was to destroy all of them but congress found about that plan and it got nixed pretty quickly. Now they have hundreds of vehicles that were designed specificaly for the threat here and they have no where to put them. The staging areas that they use are full to the max. In Iraq we "sold" all of the up armored hummers to the Iraqis, but over here they have decided against giving them to the ANA. That leaves the law enforcement market at home. I am glad that the USG is trying to recoup some money on the vehicles however after talking with the mech's over here i dont think that the agencie's that are buying them know what they are really in for. The vehicles are expensive to maintain and thay are not what one would call fuel efficiant.Having the budget to buy one and havig the budget to maintain one are two very different things.
Wait until they get a quote for hard driveline, brakes and other appurtences.  Their City Manager and the Chiefs will want to dump the thing because of the extremely high cost of maintaining this vehicle.

It's also exactly what happened to many of the HUMVEES that State and Local LE received in the 90s.

Unless you're responsible for a HVT(i.e. nuc site etc), these are over kill State/Local Agencies.

If you want to play soldier/sailor....go see a local Military Recruiter, they'll hook you up.

Another issue is that the Feds still maintain a requirement/clause that upon transfer to the State/Local Agencies they cannot sell these and must return them to the Fed if not longer wanted or needed. 

A few agencies were blackballed from DRMO transfers for getting caught selling and/or losing the transfered DRMO acquired items.

Reactions: Rusted413

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
Wait until they get a quote for hard driveline, brakes and other appurtences.  Their City Manager and the Chiefs will want to dump the thing because of the extremely high cost of maintaining this vehicle.

It's also exactly what happened to many of the HUMVEES that State and Local LE received in the 90s.

Unless you're responsible for a HVT(i.e. nuc site etc), these are over kill State/Local Agencies.

If you want to play soldier/sailor....go see a local Military Recruiter, they'll hook you up.

Another issue is that the Feds still maintain a requirement/clause that upon transfer to the State/Local Agencies they cannot sell these and must return them to the Fed if not longer wanted or needed. 

A few agencies were blackballed from DRMO transfers for getting caught selling and/or losing the transfered DRMO acquired items.

Parts are available through the same sources as the vehicles.

Your snide comment about "playing soldier" is BS, and demonstrates a lack of knowledge about the needs of an LE tactical unit. 

Free MRAP or 150-300K on a Bearcat?

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
Parts are available through the same sources as the vehicles.

Your snide comment about "playing soldier" is BS, and demonstrates a lack of knowledge about the needs of an LE tactical unit. 

Free MRAP or 150-300K on a Bearcat?
You are right sir, the parts are available for free and the drivetrain on our MRAP is under warranty for 3 year from the date we picked it up and all the drivetrain is cat and meritor axel same as the heavy truck our county has now.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Thats a decent install.  The 400's in the bumper look effective...but that mini bar on the roof is kinda pointless.  And the 900s in the back have a great footprint but the patterns all around are questionable...its their preference...I mean really though its not like someone will mistake that thing for a tow truck and its not like they will be doing traffic details with it.

Our county paid about 6000 for this beast.  It actually got used about a month after they bought it. Lil overkill IMO.

Heres the article link http://illinoistimes.com/article-14071-monster-truck.html

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I agree 

It was comments like that, which caused me to remove a really nice install thread on an MRAP I had on here. 

Reactions: rwo978

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
"What you consider a snide attack made by me is really just a humorous statement, I'm sorry you lack humor."

Snide comments all around!
A quote forced into signature because of too many butt hurt people.

However, the other thread I had essentially went rated R and was set for the ring.  Being a vehicle from my agency, I wasn't gonna risk it given it was my agency.  

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Wow...talk about hijacking a thread....I'm not a moderator but this went off topic like a while ago...sheesh!

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
:rolleyes:

What an ignorant comment. 

A MRAP is overkill for a civilian LE agency but getting one for next to nothing beats the hell out of paying $300k for a Bearcat or equivalent. 
lol......there are places in Iraq that are probably safer than the City I work in.

Oh.......and it needs paint more than blinkie lights.

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
I was working with another department that just received 2 of the MRAPs, and there was an immediate reaction from the local community freaking out about the military vehicles. They posted this and everyone shut up:

2 MRAPs - $0

Delivery from Burlington Northern Railway - $0

Potentially saving the life of one of our officers while he protects his community - Priceless

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I think they should have painted it prior to upfitting. The mini-bar is useless

I am not sure how I feel about these in civilian LE hands. I know it beats spending taxpayer money for a BearCat since the MRAPs are already paid for. But a police force of 4 people and several reserve officers does not need HMMWV's. I know of one such small agency that got a HMMWV, but turned around, painted it red, and gave it to the Fire Department and it now serves as a brush truck, but on paper its still the PD's since the program is not open to FD's. So the town shares this vehicle for rescues only, nothing tactical.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
The thing is most of these trucks like the Bearcats are not the initial response truck, they're the 2ed or 3rd deep on the run. It doesn't need to be lit like a fire engine.

As for the fd/pd thing there are many programs to get military vics to FDs. This is just a new version for the LEOs. Since these would just rot away. I think it's a very smart thing to do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.