Slimlighter keeps falling down?

Fast LT1

Veteran
May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Is there any trick to keep a slimlighter attached to the windshield via suction cups, it keeps falling after like two days.

get the strongest rubbing alcohol you can buy... spray it on,wipe it off.......... spray it on,wipe it off...... spray it on,use a razor and scrape away...wipe it off.... attach suction cups when dry !!! you can always use a drop a silicone or crazy glue in the suction cup..... but the key is having a clean surface

I just had to replace my dads suction cups (on a mini phantom) as they would not stay and his is like 4 months old havent had any problems yet, also other things you can try are cleaning the suction cups with soap and water or also place a very small piece of wet sponge in between the suction cup and window this helps keep moisture in there which aids in in maintaining its suction. hope this helps also if you do replace the suction cups I sent an email to the company and they gladly replace the suction cups free of charge i know its not the same company as slimlighter but worth a shot... gotta love free!!!

From the Slimlighter Installation Guide:

CAUTION: This product has been designed to rest on top of the vehicle’s dashboard. Suction cups are used to prevent lateral movement while the vehicle is in motion. These suction cups should not be used to suspend this product above the dashboard.

You should probably mount the Slimlighter using a bail bracket (SLPBKT1):

[Broken External Image]:http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1440/bailbracket.jpg

I can't use a bail bracket, i have that blue uv sun protection strip on the top of my windshield and it makes the slimlighter look like a gen 1 light when it punches through that.

3M makes a special velcro. its called interlock tape. E-z pass uses it for the toll passes. I found it at a hardware store here. All of my lights, including a slimlighter with a bail bracket, are mounted with it and it holds through heat cold, sunlight etc. Comes in clear and black.

I used super strong double sided tape, a little 1 inch square on each bracket and holds the slimlighter nice and snugg, I also have my spitfires mounted with the tape. I had it mounted in June and they are still holding firm.

In the Slimlighter install manual it states its only there for positioning and relies on having the light rest on the dash for support - kind of a cop out, if the bracket won't hold it on its own, why bother including it with the light? Grrr. Silicone on the suction cup works well, the alcohol trick is crucial for any and all suction cup mounts.

STT Installer" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
STT Installer said:
In the Slimlighter install manual it states its only there for positioning and relies on having the light rest on the dash for support - kind of a cop out, if the bracket won't hold it on its own, why bother including it with the light? Grrr. Silicone on the suction cup works well, the alcohol trick is crucial for any and all suction cup mounts.

As it says, it's only for positioning.

I think the disclaimer about the suction cups being only for "positioning" is so that Whelen isn't liable when the light comes off the suction cups at 65 mph and smacks someone in the face.

I think i'll pick up some of that dual lock! Thanks guys!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381