So how are you fellas liking the new 2015+ Tahoes?

Mar 25, 2014
TX
I currently have a 2013 Tahoe PPV. I have an opportunity to buy a new 2016/2017 Tahoe in either the PPV or SSV (Admin?) package, and want to see if anyone else has either made a similar upgrade, or has the newer SSV/PPV package and cares to share their thoughts.

My goal is to transfer over as much of my emergency gear as will fit, throw a Legacy on the roof, and keep on rolling.

I don't need a spotlight, and honestly I don't really need a Havis style center console - so the SSV/Admin package would be a step up there, but I do prefer PPV wheels/tires, which I don't believe the SSV/Admin has.

VERY IMPORTANT: Are both packages "pursuit rated" with the lowered/beefier suspension and brakes?

As far as I understand, the new truck has the "EcoTec3" engine, not the ol' Vortec. Does that mean no more push rods and lifter tick?!

Any idea if the Admin package still has the built in flashers for headlights/tail lights?

Any thoughts on the interior or features? Obviously both are relatively spartan...I dream of bluetooth!

Last edited:

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
Sorry I can't add a lot of info, I have a 2014 PPV. But I do know the 2016+ PPV's have Bluetooth. It's not a large radio like the civilian model with CarPlay, but it does have Bluetooth audio. Just wanted to give you that heads up.

Mar 25, 2014
TX
Sorry I can't add a lot of info, I have a 2014 PPV. But I do know the 2016+ PPV's have Bluetooth. It's not a large radio like the civilian model with CarPlay, but it does have Bluetooth audio. Just wanted to give you that heads up.

Fantastic! Do you know if you can do bluetooth phone calls with it as well? I have some aftermarket thing rigged up in my current vehicle, but it's not super great...

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The LE Tahoes don't come in an "admin package", only pursuit and special service. There is only a minor difference between the 2 models, otherwise both offer all the same police options. The pursuit is AWD, a higher top speed, black wheels and slightly lower suspension than the SSV which is 2WD/4WD and gray or silver wheels. That's pretty much it. The SSV is not marketed for pursuit and the MSP doesn't test it in pursuit associated categories or at all, I forget which.

Mar 25, 2014
TX
The LE Tahoes don't come in an "admin package", only pursuit and special service. There is only a minor difference between the 2 models, otherwise both offer all the same police options. The pursuit is AWD, a higher top speed, black wheels and slightly lower suspension than the SSV which is 2WD/4WD and gray or silver wheels. That's pretty much it. The SSV is not marketed for pursuit and the MSP doesn't test it in pursuit associated categories or at all, I forget which.

The dealer sales rep kept saying "Admin" and showing me some vehicles with what looks like a LS/LT interior and alloy wheels (not the black or silver steelies)...not sure what package that is. I had never heard of 'admin' either.

I still want the lower suspension of the PPV and I'm a fan of the black wheels - but I'd definitely prefer the LS/LT style interior. I wonder if that's a thing.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
The dealer sales rep kept saying "Admin" and showing me some vehicles with what looks like a LS/LT interior and alloy wheels (not the black or silver steelies)...not sure what package that is. I had never heard of 'admin' either.

I still want the lower suspension of the PPV and I'm a fan of the black wheels - but I'd definitely prefer the LS/LT style interior. I wonder if that's a thing.
anything is possible with money and time. LOL. you can walk into most GM dealerships and spec from the tires up. just try not to fall out of your chair when they tell you the price.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC

If it has the police options- flashers, wiring harnesses, etc, it's either the PPV or SSV, period.

Reactions: Doyle257

PanHandleStan

May 20, 2010
FL
A dealer doesn't know better. They probably had some agency chief come in and buy a civvy package and tell them it is their "admin" vehicle so thats what they think they are now in their minds

Reactions: Doyle257

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Also, the SSV interior is similar to the LS. it just doesnt have all the bells and whistles that the LT has. Now that the SSV has the Bluetooth option, its similar to a 07-14 Tahoe LS for Options.

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
The SSV can be tailored to what your looking for... it's mostly designed to support command staff and detectives or other department officials, without making it look like a municipal issued vehicle. The PPV. Will be more cruiser like... rubber floors, cage ready, they all come with the same wiring harness and options depending on what you order

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The SSV can be tailored to what your looking for... it's mostly designed to support command staff and detectives or other department officials, without making it look like a municipal issued vehicle. The PPV. Will be more cruiser like... rubber floors, cage ready, they all come with the same wiring harness and options depending on what you order

Totally inaccurate.
Both vehicles can be ordered with the same options- carpeting, cloth seats, retail wheels, etc and both can be fitted with the same aftermarket options. The SSV is intended as a 4X4 utility vehicle that doesn't need to pursue offenders, while the PPV as an honest to GOD pursuit vehicle with AWD and equipment capacity that exceeds a sedan.

Reactions: code352

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
Totally inaccurate.
Both vehicles can be ordered with the same options- carpeting, cloth seats, retail wheels, etc and both can be fitted with the same aftermarket options. The SSV is intended as a 4X4 utility vehicle that doesn't need to pursue offenders, while the PPV as an honest to GOD pursuit vehicle with AWD and equipment capacity that exceeds a sedan.

http://www.sspcentral.com/library/chevy_tahoe.shtml

Your correct about not being a pursuit rated vehicle.... but if you read the info from the above link it outlines the full difference...

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
http://www.sspcentral.com/library/chevy_tahoe.shtml

Your correct about not being a pursuit rated vehicle.... but if you read the info from the above link it outlines the full difference...
That link only covers up to the 2012 model year.

For those with time to spend...
SSV- http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/...-tahoe-5w4-special-service-4x4-spec-guide.pdf
PPV 2wd- http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/...ources/PDFs/2015-tahoe-9c1-2wd-spec-guide.pdf
PPV 4wd- http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/...-tahoe-4wd-special-service-4x4-spec-guide.pdf

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The only differences between the 2 vehicles is the drive train and suspension height, I forgot the 2WD availability of the PPV. Other than that they have the same standard features and available options save possibly for trailer towing, one is not marketed over the other as "mostly designed to support command staff and detectives or other department officials, without making it look like a municipal issued vehicle."

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.