SOLD - For Sale Whelen Smart Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2015
Georgia
I've had one of these in the past and had no trouble reading it. The color amber is a lot more visible than the color blue. That's why M.U.T.C.D standards for changeable message signs are amber.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I've had one of these in the past and had no trouble reading it. The color amber is a lot more visible than the color blue. That's why M.U.T.C.D standards for changeable message signs are amber.

That's pretty much what I suspected, I'm confounded why the NYPD spec'd blue over amber given how difficult they are to read from more than a few car-lengths away. I shouldn't be given it's penchant for taking a good idea and then poorly implementing it.

Sep 9, 2015
Georgia
The red versions of this product perform just as well if not better than the amber. Have you ever viewed a light bar, split 50/50 red and blue, while set to an alternating pattern and noticed how the blue appears to be flashing in a lower position than the red? That throws me off all the time.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
every time i see the nypd bars its a blue blur what a waste

Yup.
They started ordering those sometime after I retired and when I heard about them thought it was an uncharacteristically good idea. Until I saw them in use. Typical NYPD.
Evidently they didn't demo them first or even field test them before committing to them, and even continued all-in when Whelen discontinued them and FedSig picked up the baton.

Reactions: EMT1076

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Programmed message List please. There are a few different sub models available and that info will help sell yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.