Somers Rescue 146 - Lighting Upgrade

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
As the previous budget cycle came to an end, we were given a small budget to start upgrading the lighting package on our heavy rescue that was built in the Mid 90's.

Our career staff completed "Phase I" which was chevrons to the rear and replacement of all rear lights. I'll grab some photos and videos of that this weekend. Here is the "before".

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/images/r146/Before2.jpg

Phase II was an upgrade to the Advantage Edge Lightbar. This bar had 7 rotators and a rainbow of lenses. Here is the before:

Phase III will be to get a ULF44 for the lights in the bar to sync them with the new LEDs in the grill. There are strobes on the sides of the vehicle that will probably get upgraded at the same time.

Stay tuned for updates.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I like the idea... it will look clean and be very effective.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I will ask this.. would you consider selling the rear lightbars whole and upgrading to LEDs with the $$..... I could really use them :D

Thanks to this site advantedge stuff is fetching big buck these days.. save your take out parts.

The rear bars would be a great platform for 700 series LEDs though....

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
JohnMarcson said:
I will ask this.. would you consider selling the rear lightbars whole and upgrading to LEDs with the $$..... I could really use them :D

Thanks to this site advantedge stuff is fetching big buck these days.. save your take out parts.

The rear bars would be a great platform for 700 series LEDs though....

The rear bar has already been removed and replaced with a Whelen D8 as part of Phase I. We used one of the lenses from the rear bar on the front and had to trim it to fit. I'm not sure if we have a complete lens kit and if we do, I think it will be 3 blue and 1 red section.

It is owned by the town so, need to see if something could be worked out...

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
I was about to go OFF( :mad: )thinking that ya'll had butchered that AdvantEdge Firemaster model bar until I saw how you just slid the M7 panels in like you did. I think that was a really slick idea. :thumbsup: Interesting how the lenses have strobe optics in them with halogen rotators. :undecided: Are you going to leave all the rotators and trays in the bar like it was factory, with just the M7 panels in there, or are you going to remove all the insides?

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
Lightbarnut said:
I was about to go OFF( :mad: )thinking that ya'll had butchered that AdvantEdge Firemaster model bar until I saw how you just slid the M7 panels in like you did. I think that was a really slick idea. :thumbsup: Interesting how the lenses have strobe optics in them with halogen rotators. :undecided: Are you going to leave all the rotators and trays in the bar like it was factory, with just the M7 panels in there, or are you going to remove all the insides?

One of our career staff members came up with the idea for the brackets. Perfect fit.

On the officer's side, the rotators are intact and just unplugged. On the driver's side, we removed two of the rotators to allow easier wiring. It could all be assembled back to factory.

I knew the stuff was hard to come by but I didn't realize how "in demand" this Advantage stuff is.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
RobK said:
One of our career staff members came up with the idea for the brackets. Perfect fit.

On the officer's side, the rotators are intact and just unplugged. On the driver's side, we removed two of the rotators to allow easier wiring. It could all be assembled back to factory.

I knew the stuff was hard to come by but I didn't realize how "in demand" this Advantage stuff is.

People are finally realizing how cool a platform the bar was for it's time.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
jasonefd19 said:
Nice job Rob! Hopefully you guys can secure the $$ to finish off the truck!

Thanks for putting this project together and getting it off the ground!

Here are the other photos/videos as promised:

Final product video:

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
kitn1mcc said:
actually i liked the way the older bar worked,

I may not agree with your opinion, but i want to make sure I understand.

I too thought the old bar was cool and was period specific to the truck but the reason for the enhancements was for safety. During the day this truck was hard to see.

Of course, that is a double edged sword....now the thing is blinding at night. We shall see if "lower-power" will be an option.

On another note (and I hope to start a thread on this), we're in the process of putting a spec together for a new engine. I've been told that the manufacturers do not want to include a low power option for "liability" reasons. I'll try and start another thread on this to keep on topic....

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
RobK said:
I may not agree with your opinion, but i want to make sure I understand.

I too thought the old bar was cool and was period specific to the truck but the reason for the enhancements was for safety. During the day this truck was hard to see.

Of course, that is a double edged sword....now the thing is blinding at night. We shall see if "lower-power" will be an option.

On another note (and I hope to start a thread on this), we're in the process of putting a spec together for a new engine. I've been told that the manufacturers do not want to include a low power option for "liability" reasons. I'll try and start another thread on this to keep on topic....

Not sure what controls you have going up to the bar, but perhaps you could find a way to finagle going to solely rotators for your "low power" option? Those LED's are fantastic, but killing those while keeping the rotators going would reduce your front output significantly... while keeping a full about 270 degrees of warning coverage for whenever you'd want/need less intense front coverage.

Just an idea.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
AKRLTW said:
Not sure what controls you have going up to the bar, but perhaps you could find a way to finagle going to solely rotators for your "low power" option? Those LED's are fantastic, but killing those while keeping the rotators going would reduce your front output significantly... while keeping a full about 270 degrees of warning coverage for whenever you'd want/need less intense front coverage.

Just an idea.

Very good idea

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Love the sync! Nice job, I would have slowed down the pattern and tried for a larger directional arrow - but I know that arrow sticks are more often warning lights than anything else. Great refurb - love those true big rig style rescues!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.