SOS led work lights on a fishing boat

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Okay guys, going to be working on a project Saturday. The guy has a fishing boat and has a few new SOS led flood lights he wants installed. Unfortunately he doesn't have a battery to run the equipment off of, but has a small Honda generator he uses regularly while he is out. I am curious what I could use for power for these lights or what you might recommend? He said the generator has a cig adapter on it, but I don't want to overload the cig plug. I am not sure exactly what lights he has either. They are one of the newer flood lights.

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
Well I wouldn't throw more than 20 amps into that cigarette plug. But is that flood light is led you should have no problem. Most led flood lights run under 5 amps per light. So you could easily get away with 2 led flood lights on that cigarette plug. Now if it is a halogen bulb. I would do so very carefully. Of you get a cigarette plug. The box should say how many amps it is rated for

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
Okay guys, going to be working on a project Saturday. The guy has a fishing boat and has a few new SOS led flood lights he wants installed. Unfortunately he doesn't have a battery to run the equipment off of, but has a small Honda generator he uses regularly while he is out. I am curious what I could use for power for these lights or what you might recommend? He said the generator has a cig adapter on it, but I don't want to overload the cig plug. I am not sure exactly what lights he has either. They are one of the newer flood lights.

My only concern would be to watch out for voltage spikes and electrical noise on the line. All of these things are invisible to us, but on a circuit can wreak havoc. Call SOS and talk to their tech dept. They might be able to offer suggestions.

You could always purchase a battery too. :undecided:

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
maybe a OPTIMA blue top (think) marine deep cycle battery, in a portable battery box. Hook the battery to a trickle charger when not in use.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
The boat is used for carp fishing.

I am thinking a optima blue top is going to be the way to go but I will atleast mount the lights on the boat and run the wiring and see what the owner wants to do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.