SOS nForce Interior Lightbar Comments

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
I recently pickedup a SOS nForce interior lightbar to T&E for possible future purchase as an upgrade to these installs:

I was crunched for time and didn't have time to play with all of the advanced features like I would have liked.  I could not get the USB programming to work and ended up setting it up using the breakout box.  I was very impressed with the functionality the software had but couldn't get my PC to recognize the breakout box when it was attached.

In keeping with the current install, I didn't go fancy in configuration.  I ordered it as a single color lighbar but opted for the 9 LED modules for increased brightness.  The original 6 led lightbar never really punched through the factory tint in the Utility and I was hoping the 9 LED would help.

I've been running the light bar for about a month now and am favorably impressed.  The jump from 6 to 9 leds was a real game changer.  The lightbar no longer looks like supplemental lighting and really punches through.  I've noticed the biggest difference in the quality of the takedown lights.  They went from barely noticeable to "annoying" to quote a co-worker.

Besides not getting to play with the USB programming, I was disappointed that the factory patterns didn't include any simultaneous flash options.  I ended up running a slow alternating for stationary mode and a faster alternating for response mode.  The one option that really impressed me was the steady burn mode.  I'm running it in lieu of cruise lights in our DUI mode and it really "shines" (pun intended).

The other upgrade I like is the ability to control the flashing takedown lights.  On the nForce, the takedown flash is a separate circuit so not I can kill all of the white light when the vehicle goes into park.

Except for the issues noted above, I'm really happy with the bar and glad I went to the hassle to upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
John I would also like to see pictures and video. Your installs are very well thought out and I'd like to see how you utilize the nForce.

Reactions: Doug
May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
To recognize the breakout box there is a driver that needs to be installed.  It may or may not work, so I downloaded and installed the driver directly from the software company that created it.

After the driver is installed, USB programming and playing is easy.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Yes, I downloaded all of the software and installed it before connecting the breakout box.  I could never get Windows to properly recognize the USB device.

As another comment, I've noticed that the LEDS are arranged in an arc that follows the contour of the windshield.  When you combine this with the factory tint in a Utility, you end up with two lightheads punching to the front that are bright and the rest of the LED modules are noticeably dimmer.  If you want a lot of punch to the front, this arrangement is suboptimal.  If you want something that throws a wide arc of light out to 30-45 degrees then it is an excellent design.

My Whelen M-6's and fog lights provide enough punch to the front that I find the design useful.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.