Sound Off Signal Universal Undercover LED Insert

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Videos/photos/more details to follow shortly.

Sound Off Signal Universal Undercover LED Insert

http://www.soundoffsignal.com/warnamber ... UCLED.html

The moment I heard about these I knew I had to buy a pair- or two. If their first design was a hint of the light output I could expect, I knew these would be well worth the money. Bright, and about 6000 k light color as well. These things come with three interchangeable lens' - for different mounting applications. (very good idea IMO)

Now, for the "nitpicking" and possible issues: Interchangeable lenses- good idea BUT- I can see water condensing possibly. Also, there is a very good O ring to seal out water/dirt, etc when you put on the lens- BUT- with everything being so exacting and airtight- the lens refuses to "seat" properly, from air pressure. Dunno how the factory gets them to seat properly, but I cannot thus far. Another possible issue I see this causing is- if the light housing you mount this into is thin walled plastic, there is a small chance (IMO) that the "pressure difference" and road vibrations may be great enough to force the screw to rip through the threads it creates in the housing, thus pushing the lighthead out of the marker/housing. (unless the screw "holds the lens down, will follow up on that when installed) Again, probably won't happen, but something I have considered.

Issues with the lighthead itself: It does not appear to be potted at all- bare circuit board/leds when you have the lens off.. Even the instructions say DO NOT TOUCH THE LED's- why would they not quickly give it a simple transparent coating over the circuit board/leds? Again, going back to the possible condensation- I can simply imagine how quickly this will "ruin" a lighthead. I hope there is some type of encapsulation on the surface.

Sorry for nitpicking, but this one does really interest me. Oh and it also has cruise function lights on constant low) another BIG selling point for me.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_lights_20sirens_Review_IMG_2714.jpg

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_lights_20sirens_Review_IMG_2715.jpg

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_lights_20sirens_Review_IMG_2716.jpg

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_lights_20sirens_Review_IMG_2717.jpg

Notice the "white stuff" (thermal paste/glue possibly?) kinda mucking up the lens on the side... Bad QC?

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_lights_20sirens_Review_IMG_2718.jpg

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_lights_20sirens_Review_IMG_2719.jpg

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_lights_20sirens_Review_IMG_2720.jpg

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_lights_20sirens_Review_IMG_2721.jpg

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_lights_20sirens_Review_IMG_2722.jpg

This is what I meant by the lens "lifting" itself off from trapped air pressure. This is about 8 seconds after fully "seating" the lens by hand.

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_lights_20sirens_Review_IMG_2723.jpg

About 15 seconds later.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Could you take some pics of the different lenses when you get a chance? Thanks!

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
those lenses are the only thing that piss me off about these lights!

o and i made a suggestion they should make it 4 lenses instead of 3, just make a round and clear smooth lense like on the vertex.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
When the light is screwed in to the housing, then entire lighthead becomes water tight. I had the same issue with the lense not sitting securely however, once they were added to the housing and secured it became water tight.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Jordan C. said:
It seems that the lenses would be better if they were threaded, so they could screw onto the lighthead itself.
this would not work for a few reasons.

-Sealing out moisture- it could eventually work its way through a thread

-the lens is designed to "match up" with the LED positions exactly

-and uh... ya.. thats all I got. :lol:

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Wow, Unlisted, you really like that song ;) . Would you mind taking some pics of the lights installed and show how you mounted to the flasher, by chance?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
RL1 said:
Wow, Unlisted, you really like that song ;) . Would you mind taking some pics of the lights installed and show how you mounted to the flasher, by chance?
Regarding the song- that camera makes a weird clicking noise when recording.. so I just put the song over all the videos. I just picked the first one on the list, which was that one.. :lol: (and ya, I do like it a bit)

Installed? Sure, I will take some later tonight.

The flasher is simply sitting below the side marker, there is enough space below the light housing before the bumper to simply have it sit there. I did shorten the wire after the inline flasher, as I was hooking it up to already installed strobe lines. The connection for the pos, neg and cruise mode are connected to the strobe cable with a AMP connector, the sync wire is hardwired between the two lightheads.

Oh, and a better video. More to be uploaded when I have a good internet connection.

Pretty darn close to strobe brightness output in daylight IMO. I used to have strobes mounted in the same place, looked about as bright during daylight.

Yes, I promise to take some MORE STABLE videos later this week, with this better camera. :cool:

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Thank you for all that info and videos. It sounds to me like you are pretty happy with the quality of these lights. In your opinion, do you recommend these lights? If you don't mind answering, do you think these are the best hideaway LED's on the market right now?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
mcpd2025 said:
Thank you for all that info and videos. It sounds to me like you are pretty happy with the quality of these lights. In your opinion, do you recommend these lights? If you don't mind answering, do you think these are the best hideaway LED's on the market right now?

I sent you a lengthy PM last night. Also, out of the ones I have personally owned and compared, overall, I like the sound off signal universals and Axixtech TRI's. SOS in first, TRI's in a close second. The others are good as well.. just not as amazing.

zack A

May 24, 2010
NC
Good thing I have a pair of both coming. Red SOS in the rear and Amber Axixtech in the front.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
I have 6 of these sat to the side waiting for install on my patrol car... they are great! I sell them and had a guy who sells axitech stuff pull out his HAWs and he said he thinks the sound off are actually a little brighter but the 3 different lenses really helps them also. Lense #1 to me seems to fit most needs..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.