Soundoff EPL9000 Pinnacle Lightbar compatible with Whelen Traffic Advisor control?

kparr5

Sep 15, 2011
US/Kansas
I need help from installers on this one. Is a Whelen Traffic Advisor Control (Figure 1) compatible with Soundoff EPL9000 Pinnacle Lightbar (Figure 2)?

My second question is even if it is compatible can I basically just do the same thing with a Whelen 295SLSA6 Siren Amplifier w/built-in Switchbox (Figure 3)? My first choice is to use this Whelen Siren / Switchbox and the Soundoff Pinnacle if possible. If anyone can help that would be great things for your time.

Figure 1.jpg

Figure 2.jpg

Figure 3.jpg

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Yes and Yes and Depends. (Does that help?)

The Pinnacle can be ordered in several configurations. The standard configuration is to control the direction arrow function like a Whelen two wire - they even use the same colors. You wire the blue and the green for TA control. One gives you right, one gives you left, and together, they do the split pattern. So, if you Whelen light/siren controller can do two wire you can control a typical Pinncale.

The Pinnacle can also function with a separate TA control box like you show. I can't remember if you can change DIP switches or you have to order the bar that way but you can control each light head on the back with a multi-wire TA controller like you show.

kparr5

Sep 15, 2011
US/Kansas
Yes this helps. I think I will just use the siren/switchbox setup then. Unless there is any pros to having the Whelen TA Controller?

John Hearne said:
Yes and Yes and Depends. (Does that help?)

The Pinnacle can be ordered in several configurations. The standard configuration is to control the direction arrow function like a Whelen two wire - they even use the same colors. You wire the blue and the green for TA control. One gives you right, one gives you left, and together, they do the split pattern. So, if you Whelen light/siren controller can do two wire you can control a typical Pinncale.

The Pinnacle can also function with a separate TA control box like you show. I can't remember if you can change DIP switches or you have to order the bar that way but you can control each light head on the back with a multi-wire TA controller like you show.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
Pinnacle EPL7000 does have two-wire (actually 4-wire...left, right, center, warn...but does provide center-out if L&R wires are both powered) control capability for arrow, but colors are not blue & green...that's only on SOS UltraLite series and Pinnacle Interior units.

But yes, you can control it using the 295 sirens...it will require two aux switch buttons.

The EPL7000's arrow feature can also be configured to work with ground-switched 8-wire controllers, like FedSig's units; SOS calls this discrete functions. IIRC, it should also work with the Whelen unit you show. Advantages to using the Whelen unit would be that it offers a number of patterns and speeds, although SOS has a number of pattern/speed combos available to select from. Also, I think the Pinnacle can also do 8-wire control with positive switching, but haven't actually tried, nor can I think of an 8-wire positive-switched arrow controller(?).

Now, having said all that, I urge you to use the two-wire, default set-up. Especially if you have a split rear arrow. We have married a Pinnacle to a SS2000 controller and were unhappy with the results as it limited the features normally available with the split rear arrow.

Confused yet???

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
C2Installs said:
Pinnacle EPL7000 does have two-wire (actually 4-wire...left, right, center, warn...but does provide center-out if L&R wires are both powered) control capability for arrow, but colors are not blue & green...that's only on SOS UltraLite series and Pinnacle Interior units.

Sorry, my bad. The above is correct, I confused the interior Pinnacles with the exterior lightbar.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeaustin924

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.