Soundoff Signal blowing speakers

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Is it just me or does Soundoff Signal sirens blow out speakers like crazy? We have about 27 cars in our fleet and they all run Soundoff 380R or eNERGY 400 sirens. We go through speakers all the time. My new car has 12K on it and just blew a brand new Fed Sig ES100 speaker. We've blown Soundoff, Fed Sig and Whelen speakers. It's gotten so bad that our admin is now telling us to not use the siren unless we absolutely need to. Some cars are on their 4th or 5th speakers. Can't figure it out. Anyone else having problems? I've used Systems 9000, Code 3 and Whelen sirens in the past and have NEVER blow a speaker.

cswroe

Apr 25, 2012
Northwest Indiana
Our last install (PI Utility) was sound-off with the nERGY 400; I used ES100 speakers. They worked fine with the vehicle in ACC/Run, but once it was started (there was a slight increase in voltage), they would only let out at short burst, then the siren box would basically reboot. We went around and around with Sound-off, trying three different nERGY 400's. 

Ended up using sound-off speakers and no issue after that. For some reason, I thought the ES100 were a 4 ohm speaker, but online it shows 11.  I will look at the original ES100's and see what they were, I was positive there was a mis-match ohm issue but now I am wondering. I would much rather stick with the ES100's

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Is it just me or does Soundoff Signal sirens blow out speakers like crazy? We have about 27 cars in our fleet and they all run Soundoff 380R or eNERGY 400 sirens. We go through speakers all the time. My new car has 12K on it and just blew a brand new Fed Sig ES100 speaker. We've blown Soundoff, Fed Sig and Whelen speakers. It's gotten so bad that our admin is now telling us to not use the siren unless we absolutely need to. Some cars are on their 4th or 5th speakers. Can't figure it out. Anyone else having problems? I've used Systems 9000, Code 3 and Whelen sirens in the past and have NEVER blow a speaker.
I had a 380r on my patrol car and a howler.  I had code 3 speakers on it and never had a problem

Now I have agencies running the 400 series with triton speakers. Have been for over a year and not had a problem at all

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I understand that the main benefit of the ES100 over the MS100 is that the ES100 is field serviceable.

Have you been replacing the entire speaker or just the voice coil?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I thought all electonic sirens and speakers were rated at the same impedance. 

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Rated versus actual could be two different numbers.

cswroe

Apr 25, 2012
Northwest Indiana
I checked this morning and the ES100's I took out of service are stamped for 11ohms, so I am at a loss as to why they were failing. I do know that they were extremely loud, much more than the sound offs that replaced them.

I was just happy to have a working siren on the install and tired of taking that front bumper off. Now.... not so happy about it and concerned about future installs of the eNergy siren controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I checked this morning and the ES100's I took out of service are stamped for 11ohms, so I am at a loss as to why they were failing. I do know that they were extremely loud, much more than the sound offs that replaced them.

I was just happy to have a working siren on the install and tired of taking that front bumper off. Now.... not so happy about it and concerned about future installs of the eNergy siren controller.
I havnt had any issues with the energy

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Have you thought of sending a couple of the ES100's back to FS for them to do forensic analysis?  I would think they might like to look into this, as opposed to having their name smeared.

At JDI, of course, we'd say, "Who cares!"

Shrug.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.