SoundOff Undercover LEDs

SIFD7101

Feb 2, 2011
USA, Missouri
Hello all, I am in need of assistance yet again!! I recently purchased a set of SoundOff Undercover LED inserts for my taillights. I installed the flasher unit inside my trunk, thinking this would be the ideal location. Now I have a severe issue with radio interference when I activate the lights. This is present in my vehicle radio, my mobile 2 way, and any radio within about 10 feet of the car. I have the unit grounded to a good source inside the trunk, and am using less than a foot of wire to do so. I'm powering them through my siren's light controller, so the only long wire is my power. Can anyone shed some light on the issue? I've tried everything short of running a test wire and grounding them to the battery. Thanks in advance

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
Known issue.

Call up sound off. They sent me ferrite beads to fix the issue. The issue is worse with the two light flasher, so they might offer to send you the four light flasher.

SIFD7101

Feb 2, 2011
USA, Missouri
bigcat said:
Known issue.

Call up sound off. They sent me ferrite beads to fix the issue. The issue is worse with the two light flasher, so they might offer to send you the four light flasher.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give them a call Monday and see what they say. I purchased them new in box from here, hopefully there will be no issues.

SIFD7101

Feb 2, 2011
USA, Missouri
Update: I made the call to SoundOff regarding the issue. The guy I spoke with said he had never heard of such a problem, but advised that I move my antenna.... This obviously was not the solution. I had our radio repairman check it over when he was down to work on our ambulances, and he advised to try the ferrite beads. Again, no help at all. I've tried everything from completely redoing the wiring to moving the flasher.. I'm tempted to try a different flasher, yet just as tempted to do away with them completely and hope my interior bar is enough. Any other input would be appreciated.

SIFD7101

Feb 2, 2011
USA, Missouri
C2Installs said:
Ground to battery only is my first thought. This should really cut the problem down/eliminate it.

Beyond that?

I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens, thanks for the input. Beyond that haha, I'm not overly impressed with the performance, albeit due to the design of my taillights, I'll probably remove them if the issue isn't resolved.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
The Undercovers work excellent when used in proper application. The we're more or less designed for vertical only mounting in clear light housings, most particularly the Ford Crown Vic's front marker and headlight lamps. If mounted properly, with regards to orientation of the light tower, they are very good.

SIFD7101

Feb 2, 2011
USA, Missouri
C2Installs said:
The Undercovers work excellent when used in proper application. The we're more or less designed for vertical only mounting in clear light housings, most particularly the Ford Crown Vic's front marker and headlight lamps. If mounted properly, with regards to orientation of the light tower, they are very good.

I have no doubt they would, they are some bright little suckers! Majority of the taillight housing is round and slanted, so I have sort of an angled install, and the fact it's behind the red lens doesn't help it I'm sure. Probably should have been a bit more considerate of the design when I made the purchase decision, but it is what it is.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
That guy might not have heard of the problem, but SOI knows about the problem. Everything I said before was right from SOI themselves. They sent me the ferrite beads for free and told me to call back if it didn't fix the problem. Those beads are the only thing that will make any sort of difference.

SIFD7101

Feb 2, 2011
USA, Missouri
bigcat said:
That guy might not have heard of the problem, but SOI knows about the problem. Everything I said before was right from SOI themselves. They sent me the ferrite beads for free and told me to call back if it didn't fix the problem. Those beads are the only thing that will make any sort of difference.

I've tried the ferrite beads, and everything else mentioned with no noticeable results. Called soundoff again, and spoke with a different person. He advised they had discussed the situation, and no one acknowledges that this is a known problem, however they did say to return the flasher and they will send out a replacement to see if that will resolve the problem. Here's hoping!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.