Spare Ladder Chicago FD

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Found this old gem going through YouTube. Any idea what year it is? Can't believe that it actually has a couple LEDs on the back, lol...

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
Ok a few things....

1: I like the truck! I'm a huge fan of older apparatus.

2: Why was he driving with half the truck in the oncoming lane? I'm not on a big fancy city FD, but that doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

3: I don't think I would stand up on a truck running hot, esp. since its an open cab. I'm surprised the officer didn't say something about it.

Interesting video anyway, thanks for posting.

Dan

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
lafd55 said:
Found this old gem going through YouTube. Any idea what year it is? Can't believe that it actually has a couple LEDs on the back, lol...

Late 80's - Early 90's E-One, Notice the 184's on the roof have been modified with later Model 14's.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
50theman said:
Late 80's - Early 90's E-One, Notice the 184's on the roof have been modified with later Model 14's.

Yea, I wish the green was working too, I love Chicago and their green lights.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
He probably drove in the oncoming lanes so cars would see them. With the exception of the two flashing red lights and the Mars light everything else on the truck as far as warning is useless to the front. Even the beacons are blocked by the platform.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The siren sounds like a newer Federal PA300. The wail cycle is a little too fast, but the sound of the PA300 wail tone has changed several times during the siren's long production period.

The truck's engine sounds like a two stroke diesel - a lot of older fire engines had two stroke diesel engines.

The LEDs you see in the video are on another ladder truck.

MJDNRP-6885

Jul 25, 2010
Germantown Hills, IL
lafd55 said:

Reserve truck company E252 is a 1985 E-One.

If you notice that this ladder truck is numbered "E252"

Chicago has an odd numbering system for it's reserve fleet of vehicles.

"C" designation for Ambulances

"D" is designated for Engines

"E" designation for Trucks

"G" designation for Squads

From what I've been told, it's strictly a shop number system for all trucks that are still in serviceable, but are not front line apparatus.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Looks like that apparatus has lead a long and hard life. I also see that Chicagoans get out of the way of emergency vehicles about as well as people around here... which is not too good.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Wailer said:
The siren sounds like a newer Federal PA300. The wail cycle is a little too fast, but the sound of the PA300 wail tone has changed several times during the siren's long production period.

The truck's engine sounds like a two stroke diesel - a lot of older fire engines had two stroke diesel engines.

No, they are LEDs on the rear below the rotators above the brake lights...

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i love the black smoke when he puts it in reverse

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
Wailer said:

Sounds like a Detroit diesel engine to me. They did make many two strokes.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
More than half of the lights are burned out on that thing. No wonder no one is pulling over for it. :duh:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.