Speaker and water

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
I recently removed a carson 100 watt compact speaker, which I do not believe has any drain holes. The output was greatly reduced, and thought it was time for an upgrade. When I removed it, water poured out of it, Im assuming because it was tilted slightly upward (due to the design of the grille, only way possible). I replaced it with a dynamax MS100, older cast style, that I painted black. Much better, but it is still angled slightly upward, but this one has drain holes, so it should be ok correct? I dont want it to be ruined in a few years. Anyone have input on this? I assume that it will get water in it anyway its mounted, but when angled downward slightly it should run out easier. I usually do it this way, but it wouldnt fit. FYI, used with an omega 90 airhorn, sees little use.

On a side note, I cleaned up the carson speaker, took it apart and dried it out. Now im going to test it and see if it will come back or if its garbage. They only have a 1 year warranty on them :(

Thanks guys.

badbrad

Jan 29, 2011
canada, saskatchewan
I dont know if it was a water issue, but we had pallets of these speakers, for scrap.. over 100 all not working, corroded bad inside. maybe it was from all the snow, water etc here in east coast canada, they were grill mounted in 99-04 crown vics. The old federal TS 100 were 10-15 yrs old still running strong, dyna max all junk- scrap metal after 2-3 yrs. safe guard wouldnt hurt to drill a few holes.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
badbrad said:
I dont know if it was a water issue, but we had pallets of these speakers, for scrap.. over 100 all not working, corroded bad inside. maybe it was from all the snow, water etc here in east coast canada, they were grill mounted in 99-04 crown vics. The old federal TS 100 were 10-15 yrs old still running strong, dyna max all junk- scrap metal after 2-3 yrs. safe guard wouldnt hurt to drill a few holes.
Wow, thats interesting, thanks for the post.

V

VTfireftr

I had a Dyna max on my old truck (Ford F 150) mounted on a grille gurad. Last about 2 years before it was worthless. Th New England winters corroded the crap out of the cast metal and it literally fell off the truck.

All I use now are the plastic Whelen 314 and 315. Easier to mount and the plastic resists corrosion.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.