Speaker Crackling

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
So my friend whose a cop just got a permit by his chief to run lights and sirens on his truck. So, I helped him out by pointing him in the right direction on where to get stuff and how to set it up. After we did our makeshift install (to see how things fit and how he like it) the siren would crackle when it turned on and at the end of the siren (after pressing the horn or manual). When we added another speaker, not only was the crackling worse, but the mic wouldn't work because it would make a high pitch screech, like when the amp is too close to the speaker. because this wasn't our permanent install, I realize there's most likely some faulty wiring on our part. I did double check though, and all wires are in proper places and tied together (wire nuts)

But why does the siren crackle when its turned on and when you press the horn or manual?? A list of possible reasons would be nice so we can troubleshoot. Siren is a SLSA6 with to SA314 speakers.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Lemme get this straight, a cop wants to run L&S on his POV? He can't do enough high profile law enforcement on duty, he wants to do traffic stops off duty also?

No disrespect intended, am I missing something?

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Here in Massachusetts, we have a thing called detail. That means any construction or event that needs or could use a cop, they use one. And they make bank. His department doesn't have vehicles to spare while doing this, so he gets to use his own. The siren would mainly be used for undercover work. Lights are the most important for his sake.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
We've tested with a CPI siren speaker as well as a soundoff speaker. I also tried an old 295 and it crackled. I don't think my fed sig siren crackled though.

Can anyone give me a possible list of reasons?

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
NPS Ranger said:
Lemme get this straight, a cop wants to run L&S on his POV? He can't do enough high profile law enforcement on duty, he wants to do traffic stops off duty also?

No disrespect intended, am I missing something?

There is an officer about 30 miles away from my place, and he uses his POV when off duty to pull people over and give them citations. Radar, camera, lights, siren, etc., all out of his own pocket. More power to him, but I would'nt do it!

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Is it possible the gauge of the speaker wire im using is too small? I would say its 16 or 18 ga.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Not this particular unit but I did do that with my older 295 and it crackled. I just realized that the speaker wire should be fine, because the wire that comes with the speakers is 16 ga. Could a diode fix it?

We have no idea why its doing this, and its kinda annoying

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
first off dont use WIRE NUTS

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
We worked on it a little today and it crackles when it turns on and after a tap of the airhorn. We're starting to think the speaker wire is picking up a signal from the power wire. Could wire nuts be a problem?

John

May 30, 2010
NYC
gman021 said:
Could wire nuts be a problem?
If they aren't now they will be soon. Wire nuts do not belong in your car. If you used wire nuts on the rest of the connections you will be very fortunate if your buddy's car doesn't burn up.

On a positive note, flames provide a fantastic visual warning. I have never seen anyone rear end a burning vehicle on the highway.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
John said:
On a positive note, flames provide a fantastic visual warning. I have never seen anyone rear end a burning vehicle on the highway.

haha ya I guess your right. We'll go with some connectors instead

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
It turns out that whenever it's on RAD, it crackles when it turns on or when he uses the airhorn. I thought I had heard it on man1 or man2, but now I don't. That could have been fixed due to our permanent install, therefore getting rid of wire nuts and bad connections. I'm still curious though why it crackles when on RAD.

Well, now we now just to never have the knob turned to RAD.

John

May 30, 2010
NYC
gman021 said:
It turns out that whenever it's on RAD, it crackles when it turns on or when he uses the airhorn. I thought I had heard it on man1 or man2, but now I don't. That could have been fixed due to our permanent install, therefore getting rid of wire nuts and bad connections. I'm still curious though why it crackles when on RAD.

Well, now we now just to never have the knob turned to RAD.

Do you have a radio tied to the siren for rebroadcast? If not the unused leads on the siren may be touching something grounded. In the RAD position the amplifier is on and attempting to amplify any signal that may be coming in on those wires.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.