Speaker Problems

Oct 25, 2010
North Carolina
The other day, while responding to a call, the speakers on one of our engines quit. At first I thought it was the siren box, but after checking everything it ended up being two blown speakers. We are running a Powercall DX5200 on this truck with two FS Dynamax/ES100 speakers. The Powercall has been on the truck for less than 1 year, and the speakers are 2 years old. I talked to David at Powercall, and was told that he doesn't reccomend running his sirens with the Dynamax/ES100 speakers. Im not putting any blame at all on David for what happened, it is my fault for not making sure the speakers were compatable. However, I decided to do a search and see if others were having problems with these speakers, and sure enough I found about 10 pages of complaints. The other interesting thing is the output of the old speakers. I wired up 1 temporary 100 watt speaker (a very old FS unit out of an AeroDynic lightbar) under the bumper of the truck so we would still have a siren, and it seemst to be much louder than the two ES100s. FS is supposedly replacing these under warranty for us, but my question is would we be better off getting some better speakers? Is anyone else having problems with these ES100s?

Oct 25, 2010
North Carolina
Jared @ 911Lights said:
I have heard about the Powercalls blowing speakers, I think David explained that they push the speakers a bit more than most of the other sirens on the market. I'm not familiar with the product line, but I would suggest going with one of his recommended speakers.

The ES100s should still be under warranty, right?

-Jared

They are under warranty, they have been shipped off to Federal Signal to see if they are going to repair or replace them. I just don't want to have to keep pulling them out of the bumper and sending them back every time they blow. I have heard from other people they have had problems with these speakers on all brands of sirens, so it would be nice if FS would replace them with something that worked better.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.