Speaker voice coil

djmcfall

Nov 10, 2010
Filer, Idaho
I am looking for a source for replacement voice coils/diaphrams, for siren speakers, at wholesale price. My search using on line search engines have not been sucessful. Is anyone replacing these in open circuit and shorted speakers, and if so where do you buy the replacements?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
What kind of speakers are talking about here.

djmcfall

Nov 10, 2010
Filer, Idaho
I should have been more clear, talking about 100 watt siren driver. Most of them have been simular. I have looked at some replacement drivers but they cost nearly what I can get a new speaker for, $57 for a driver compaired to $80 shipped is what I am paying for new 100 watt speakers. (I have not tore into one but most likely a china made driver) I was hoping to find voice coils for less than $10. I have repaired them before by splicing the small wire, but would rather replace the voice coil diaphram for better realiability. Thanks for the input.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
djmcfall said:
I should have been more clear, talking about 100 watt siren driver. Most of them have been simular. I have looked at some replacement drivers but they cost nearly what I can get a new speaker for, $57 for a driver compaired to $80 shipped is what I am paying for new 100 watt speakers. (I have not tore into one but most likely a china made driver) I was hoping to find voice coils for less than $10. I have repaired them before by splicing the small wire, but would rather replace the voice coil diaphram for better realiability. Thanks for the input.

When the voice coil blows, there is always a reason. Some other condition caused the voice coil to blow. While splicing the magnet wire may allow the driver to be used again, this alone does not address the root cause of the problem. Whatever caused the voice coil to blow in the first place will cause it to blow again unless the root cause is determined and then mitigated.

djmcfall

Nov 10, 2010
Filer, Idaho
shues said:
When the voice coil blows, there is always a reason. Some other condition caused the voice coil to blow. While splicing the magnet wire may allow the driver to be used again, this alone does not address the root cause of the problem. Whatever caused the voice coil to blow in the first place will cause it to blow again unless the root cause is determined and then mitigated.

I agree, but it is not always an "outside" reason. It could be it was manufactured with a defect, such as a small nick in the wire that suddenly breaks, it could be years a vibration causing the wire or a connection to break, corrosion, the list goes on and on. Your comment reminds me of a mechanic who decided to test a siren in a vehicle he was working on, after connecting the speaking to 12VDC, all he heard out of the speaker was a pop. (another good speaker with a blown voice coil:)) ATLAS does have replacements, but at $200 I think I will just buy a new speaker.

Thanks for all the input from everyone, that answered my thread.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Here we go again someone comes on here to get info.

And is smarter or already has their mind made up.

Why bother? :nono:

djmcfall

Nov 10, 2010
Filer, Idaho
Congradulations Chief, you made the list. If you look at my first post I did not ask anything about what causes a speaker to go bad, I was looking for a source.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
djmcfall said:
Congradulations Chief, you made the list. If you look at my first post I did not ask anything about what causes a speaker to go bad, I was looking for a source.

Are trying to be a newbie dick.

I said nothing about what causes a speaker to blow.

I said what kind do you have there are alot out there.

I think you need to get your head out of the farside of the moon and start listening to people who know what they are talking about.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.