Split Dome Beacons

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
Just found a GROTE dome for a 7622 or 7620. Factory painted red half.
And the idea for a custom version was born.
217558 217559 217560

A steady burn red 4414 and the amber light with a can relay flasher #537.
Motor is without connection.
The GROTE version of the legendary CT-1.

217561 217562

I have found the absolute BEST glue for plastic--ANY plastic--is LocTite Plastics Bonding System. I've tested it on a broken dome and it does not cloud (like super glues) and is incredibly strong. Also, look for a good coping saw used in woodworking for intricate cuts--some have a very narrow blade and can be very forgiving if you start to go the wrong direction.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
This is of the only light I have that has a split lens, a Whelen 5200.

I thought I had uploaded these photos before but I can not find them on here.
Maybe it was on the previous platform.

These are some photos I found in my files that I took for about 10 years ago.

64D79241-B850-4778-A1E8-55AAB9CD9CD6.jpeg
Front view.

D9716B79-637E-4995-BFEE-20065A6E9A3C.jpeg
Rear view.

58B02C44-95CE-4C39-9A79-50DB6A6E2709.jpeg
Side view.

This light was a magnetic version but I removed all such parts because it is much more easy to display the light this way.
The power cable was routed through the hole in the side of the base where the dimmer switch normaly is mounted hence the hole there.

If someone know any source of this momentary switch, that Whelen have no knowledge of, I be pleased to know.
It might be the same make and model that Whelen still are using in several of their sirens.

Michael

RCMoeur

Apr 26, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
For years, Arizona DOT used to have split-dome LP 6105 and Highlighter beacons on construction and maintenance vehicles. They'd mount a pair of beacons on the headache rack or an aluminum bar, and have a amber front / red rear on the left and an all-amber on the right. I think Equipment Services made the domes in-house by cutting and splicing. Back when ADOT used Code 3, I always thought it would've been simpler to spec clear domes and half-cylinder filters.

Just about everything now is LED.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.