Spotlight assembly?

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I just got a box of Unity spotlights in. I believe they're all for 98+ CVPIs. I haven't messed with one in forever...
Anyways, I tried to re-assemble a few. They are all broken down in 3 parts:
1. Main light head attached to shaft
2. Chrome shaft 'cover' with pillar mounting flange
3. Handle
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but the only way I can get the handle on is flipping the chrome cover so the mounting flange is backwards? & when I put the handle on & tighten down the 3/8" head bolt, the handle is still loose on the shaft & I can't get the light head to rotate via the handle.
I tried 3-4 different light heads, shaft covers & handles & they all do this, so I'm convinced it's me :) What am I doing wrong?

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
Since they are for Crown Victorias the bracket should be backwards. It mounts in position we call inside post. The brackets mounts inside of the vehicle on the post. That would put it backwards to standard post mount spotlights. Both the spotlight and the mounting hardware are custom fit for Crown Vic.

The outer chrome tube was removed from the light because when it installs into the vehicle the tube is attached from the inside then the light is slide into the tube from the outside of the vehicle then the handle is secured.

Crown Victoria spotlights have flats milled onto the intermediate tube of the spotlight. The wedge needs to line up with the flat for the handle to properly be secured. There are also two keys inside of the handle that need to line up with slots on the shaft. One key is right at the opening in the handle where the shaft goes into and the other is deeper inside the handle on the gear. You can see the gear move when you looked into the handle and rotate the grip.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.