Spotlight wont work.. HELP

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
We had a unity spotlight go out on a 2007 CVPI last week.. the officer and 2 or 3 others have messed with it but cant get it to work. He has tried replacing the buld, then the rear switch, now someone has put a test light to it and says there is no power going to the switch. *NOTE* the reason the switched was replaced is because his other one broke, this is when the spotlight "quit working".

I havent messed with it because i dont have a clue and he said to get on here and ask for any suggestions. My suggestion was a fuse maybe but now its to what fuse and which fuse panel is that thing hooked to? he pulled out and checked many fusses and said he didnt see one blown..

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated because this car is a slick top and its the only lighting he has.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Gotta play "find that fuse!" If that is okay, double check to make sure there is power going TO the FUSE.

Still not working/fuse/power to fuse okay? Trace the wire from the spotlight TO the fuse. Most likely a break somewhere. I've heard of the power wire sometimes getting so twisted up/turned/spun around (or installed improperly) that it literally breaks the power lead.

Failing all that, just remove the (original) fuse, and run a new fused line to the spotlight.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Well that would be the first problem than... Get searching, and also a label maker.

Want to know the "OMGWTFBBQ" wiring mess trick? Turn everything on, and start pulling a fuse one by one- and label each one when something turns off.. ;)

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
unlisted said:
Well that would be the first problem than... Get searching, and also a label maker.

Want to know the "OMGWTFBBQ" wiring mess trick? Turn everything on, and start pulling a fuse one by one- and label each one when something turns off.. ;)

+1 Thats the best thing to do, and it ticks me off when people don't label their wires or include a diagram.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Oh boy, if you were in my shop, I would have turned it around and sent it on your way in 15 minutes. I'd have taken off the switch cap and test for power. If present, replace cap and remove the bulb & test the power tip & ground.

Sometimes, the spotlight would pull away from the handle and break electrical contact. To check, remove the handle with a 3/8 nutdriver (don't remove the bolt completely, loosen it almost all the way and hit it towards the shaft to loosen the nut on the opposite side) The inner shaft should be approx 1" longer than the outer shaft. You may need to loosen the bolt that tensions the inner shaft and push it towards the center of the vehicle. Tighten carefully until it moves freely and holds position when you let go.

sephora99

Oct 6, 2010
Connecticut, USA
It might be worth noting (though it should be common knowledge) that the spotlights use their structure and being bolted to the vehicle frame as their ground connection. Because there is a separate piece inside the mounting tube that is connected to the car frame, it may be worth checking to make sure that is getting connection too. Also there are electric brushes in the spotlight head end which carry the current to the bulb, sometimes those can get gunked up with grease from the rotating gears. Beyond that, if there really isn't power coming into the wire then it sounds like a vehicle specific problem.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
As easy as it is to ask that question. It's only constrained by any stuck hardware & Ability to follow the adjustment procedures as not every fastener is designed to be tightened.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
EVModules said:
As easy as it is to ask that question. It's only constrained by any stuck hardware & Ability to follow the adjustment procedures as not every fastener is designed to be tightened.

ok i was wondering because now we have a car that only the head of the spotlight will spin.. the shaft wont move and the light wont lay down, have to leave it standing straight up. :roll:

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Try loosening the bolt on the shaft, next to the head. It's not supposed to be tight, only partial to keep tension on the shaft, enough to hold it in place but allow the operator to move it.

sephora99

Oct 6, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Assuming this is a typical Unity spotlight, there is also a bolt/screw on the handle side which could cause the shaft to bind up if it is too tight. EVModules' suggestion of the bolt on the outside near the head is also valid. It would be the biggest one going sideways through a friction bracket. It is not uncommon for these things to bind up if they are not properly sealed/adjusted and lubricated. I had to completely dismantle mine (head and everything), use some break-away and re-grease all the moving parts. In fact mine has been getting tougher to rotate recently in the same fashion as yours. Time to lube it up again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.