Squad 51 In Cab Lightbar Control Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

fltmedic469

May 22, 2015
Georgia
Hey guys I am doing some digging actually starting a squad 51 build. got a truck working on the cab electronics. Got the PA20A, lightbar GE MASTR PRO mobile radio but the one thing that is killing me with no info is the left lightbar control box besides the radio and pa it has a gooseneck map light attached to the top corner of it.I ait has a couple of switches on it one for the map light and looks like one for the lightbar but i cannot find any info on the manufacturer or any frontal up clost photos of it onlt a few side shots that dont show it very well.  Anyone know much about it or where i could find one? So far they are nonexistent. 

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kitn1mcc

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here is a different view... 

6019099518_e3979ff51c_b.jpg

fltmedic469

May 22, 2015
Georgia
By george yes it is! the silver control box to the left of the PA20A in pic #2 

Any idea whom the maker is of if i am going to be able to locate one?

fltmedic469

May 22, 2015
Georgia
Great info thank you !

I wish i could see the lettering down at the bottom a little better. I believe it says reset in the middle i wonder what it is resetting?

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
I always thought Roy would turn the light bar on with his left hand when he got behind the wheel. Maybe a toggle switch or pull switch?

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I second the custom/radio shop fabrication, or a custom rum by a local manufacturer. My city PD had some really cool hump consoles that were made in-house at the city garage.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
On the L.A. County sheriff's car control box it looks like the lettering reads as follows:

Map (top toggle switch)

Reset (small red pushbutton)

Red siren (bottom toggle switch)

Amber horn (bottom toggle switch)

I'm guessing by saying that when the indicator light is red, the siren is enabled and when the light is amber the horn is enabled.  The siren can be activated via the steering wheel horn ring, and maybe this gadget allowed the driver to switch between siren and horn functions.

The control box for the Squad may have had different functions. 

Notice that the PA20A in the sheriff's car has no yelp or hi-lo tones. 

fltmedic469

May 22, 2015
Georgia
Great photos! You guys have been a huge help piecing all the clues all together. Keep them coming if you dig anything else up!

Thank you very much.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
I believe the bottom toggle switch labels indicate which lights in the CTS (red or amber) are active, along with the horn ring function. In other words, when the switch is up, the red lights (and the rear amber too) are on and the horn ring activates the siren. When the switch is in the down position, only the rear amber flasher is active and the horn ring blows the horn. It appears there was a center "off" position on that toggle switch that is not labeled, as the switches in the photos are neither up nor down.

fltmedic469

May 22, 2015
Georgia
map light.jpg

Found this on Ebay yesterday,the were quite proud of it but new so i am making progress!

Wow whats that season one? Early stuff.

Crownfire , thanks very much for your description, when i fab one up that makes a difference, i'll get a 3 position toggle instead of a two , thanks!

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
  If recalled correctly... mostly for FACFD, not on LASD vehicles.... But.. there were many "platter" variations over the years they were in service.    

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Platters were used on the first squads, the 1970-71 Dodge D500's.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v317_Aaronw_Emergency_cap100.jpg
The truck with the platter has a Federal C5G mechanical siren.  

It looks like the PA20A in the restored Squad 51 doesn't have yelp or hi-lo tones either. 

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I believe the bottom toggle switch labels indicate which lights in the CTS (red or amber) are active, along with the horn ring function. In other words, when the switch is up, the red lights (and the rear amber too) are on and the horn ring activates the siren. When the switch is in the down position, only the rear amber flasher is active and the horn ring blows the horn. It appears there was a center "off" position on that toggle switch that is not labeled, as the switches in the photos are neither up nor down.
When doing a CA vehicle of this era, it's pretty safe to do a "center off"  setup.  As Crown stated, it's usually setup with siren functions and 360 on the up portion, and rear amber only and horn function on the down.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
25CK117

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.