SS2000SM Arrow Stick Problem.

ttjustin12

May 1, 2011
Honeoye, NY
I've been having an issue with a module on the arrow stick flashing randomly while driving down the road. If I tap the brain lightly the module will flash as well. I've checked my wire connections in the plug I've even tried re-seating the plug a few times but the problem still exists. This problem has been an on and off again issue for almost a year now. It's there and then after messing with it it will go away for a few months and later come back. anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Check all your connections and wires carefully. IIRC SS2kSM uses a ground side flasher so if the light is grounding out somewhere it's going to light up... since it's so intermittent, it may be a very small puncture in the wire or a single strand bridging to a connection point. Do you notice the problem more, less, or the same when traveling down rougher roadways?

ttjustin12

May 1, 2011
Honeoye, NY
foxtrot5 said:
Check all your connections and wires carefully. IIRC SS2kSM uses a ground side flasher so if the light is grounding out somewhere it's going to light up... since it's so intermittent, it may be a very small puncture in the wire or a single strand bridging to a connection point. Do you notice the problem more, less, or the same when traveling down rougher roadways?

i've checked the wires and have tried wiggling all the wires themselves as well and it doesnt produce the problem....when i wiggle the connector it will produce the problem.....and the rougher roads do produce the problem more frequently.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Have Had Similar Problems, with TA's, and other lights sometimes turning on. It turns out to be a Ground issue, the wire that lead into the Harness was loose, and we replaced it. but you would never tell unless you really looked at it. Sounds to me like you have a similar problem, its definately a ground issue. Make sure the brain is secure, and the wires have some room, not being tugged to tightly, and ensure nothing is bouncing around into the brain. Hope this helps! Let us know what happens!

ttjustin12

May 1, 2011
Honeoye, NY
OK sorry for the long delay in posting but I've been pretty busy. So, I've done a few things to the brain and connections and it seems to be working perfectly for the time being. First thing I did was to obtain the proper mounting bracket for the unit and install it. Second thing I did was to really look at the wires on the connection to see if there were any cuts or open wire areas and there were not. Lastly I checked every spot on the connector to see if I had a good lock on the wire and it looked like the wire to the pod I was having an issue with may have had just a sliver of insulation in the clamp (not 100% sure) so I made sure it was just bare wire clamped down in the connector, and for 4 days now no unwanted flashing.

ttjustin12

May 1, 2011
Honeoye, NY
I know this is a pretty old post but I wanted to post an update to this problem. Even though my last post says the problem was resolved it was not. I still had the issue up until last week. The long and short of it is that I took apart the unit to inspect the components and really didn't see anything that could cause the problem. I was sure it was a loose connection inside due to every bump of the car or tap on the brain would set it off. After taking it apart a second time yesterday I found that the ribbon connection that jumps from the main board to the SignalMaster board seemed to be bent inwards where the ribbon is soldered to the SM board. It appeared that the ribbon was making contact with the ribbon plug for the connection to the relay board. I carefully pushed the ribbon away from the plug and now it seems that I have fixed the problem. Too bad it only took me about 2yrs to figure out this simple issue lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.