State Patrol: What exactly do they do?

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
11b101abn said:
Roger.

The RCMP is actually deployable, and my understanding is they have been and/or are in Iraq and Asscrackistan. A TRUE Paramilitary Policing entity.

They do some training overseas of police, they don't get involved in combat. It's also voluntary, no forced deployments.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
11b101abn said:
Roger.

The RCMP is actually deployable, and my understanding is they have been and/or are in Iraq and Asscrackistan. A TRUE Paramilitary Policing entity.

They are not there as military, they are civpol i.e. civilian crisis management.

groovybluedog

Jan 11, 2012
England
BigWil said:
That would depend on what type of area you want to police. The RCMP and OPP both do highway enforcement, but they also respond to calls for service. If you want to do municipal policing, look at bigger cities, like Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc. The RCMP actually has one of the best mixes of areas, and they have a lot of opportunity to look at different areas of policing. Drug units, computer crimes, fraud, counterfeiting, import/export stuff in conjunction with CBSA, forensics, and so on.

After I looked up municipal policing and saw that such officers have less rights and limits on equipment. So Ill stick with RCMP and OPP. Time to Google!

EDIT: Are RCMP similar to American forces? For example, do they have similar equipment like tasers, incapacitant sprays, firearms, and all the other stuff? Furthermore, are you trained to do vehicle duties in the "general policing" time from the start like some american forces? (Here in the UK, you have to be on foot patrol for at least 2-3 years, and before you can actually drive yourself, often 5-10 years. Annoyingly.)

Last edited by a moderator:

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
groovybluedog said:
After I looked up municipal policing and saw that such officers have less rights and limits on equipment. So Ill stick with RCMP and OPP. Time to Google!

EDIT: Are RCMP similar to American forces? For example, do they have similar equipment like tasers, incapacitant sprays, firearms, and all the other stuff? Furthermore, are you trained to do vehicle duties in the "general policing" time from the start like some american forces? (Here in the UK, you have to be on foot patrol for at least 2-3 years, and before you can actually drive yourself, often 5-10 years. Annoyingly.)

Actually, all police officers in Canada carry pepper spray, firearms, and batons. Not all agencies have tasers, and those that do, not every officer carries one. Here, all officers are trained to do vehicle duty, quite often foot patrol is a sought after position because of the opportunity to develop street contacts, and to get to know the community on a more personal level. Foot patrol assignments are usually isolated to down town cores of cities, but all officers are encouraged to get out of their patrol cars and talk to the public.

The only police that I'm aware of that don't carry weapons are municipal police in Newfoundland, working the smaller communities. They are essentially bylaw enforcement with the authorization to do traffic stops for vehicle violations. Also, special constables, who generally do prisoner transport/court security are unarmed as well.

BackYardSales

Dec 5, 2011
US - KY
The US doesn't really have anything like the RCMP. They are both uniformed and plainclothes and their scope is all of Canada. I'm not sure how they select or assign duty stations, but some Mounties work alone in remote sections of the far north areas of the Yukon and Northwest Territories where they are the only law enforcement for hundreds of miles. I would hope those assignments are voluntary.

Wil, is CSIS totally separate, or is it connected to RCMP? From what I can tell, it's similar to MI-5/MI-6.

groovybluedog, keep in mind that many police agencies in the US are beginning to require Spanish. Even some Dispatchers are required to learn it.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
BackYardSales said:
The US doesn't really have anything like the RCMP. They are both uniformed and plainclothes and their scope is all of Canada. I'm not sure how they select or assign duty stations, but some Mounties work alone in remote sections of the far north areas of the Yukon and Northwest Territories where they are the only law enforcement for hundreds of miles. I would hope those assignments are voluntary.

Wil, is CSIS totally separate, or is it connected to RCMP? From what I can tell, it's similar to MI-5/MI-6.

groovybluedog, keep in mind that many police agencies in the US are beginning to require Spanish. Even some Dispatchers are required to learn it.

CSIS is totally separate. The RCMP used to do what CSIS does, until CSIS was created in 84

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
groovybluedog said:
EDIT: Are RCMP similar to American forces? For example, do they have similar equipment like tasers, incapacitant sprays, firearms, and all the other stuff?

Questions like this don't really say great things about your motives for wanting to become a cop.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
groovybluedog said:
snip...(Here in the UK, you have to be on foot patrol for at least 2-3 years, and before you can actually drive yourself, often 5-10 years. Annoyingly.)

It may be "annoying", but you've gotta learn to walk before you run. Kinda like how a lot of places make you work in the jail for a period of time before you go on the street. Teaches you how to deal with people before you get to play SWAT. And trust me, even in the big city, it's not all gun battles, foot chases, and pursuits.

groovybluedog

Jan 11, 2012
England
RJ* said:
Questions like this don't really say great things about your motives for wanting to become a cop.

I don't need non-constructive 'feedback' like that. If you feel that way, don't come back to this thread.

BigWil said:
Actually, all police officers in Canada carry pepper spray, firearms, and batons. Not all agencies have tasers, and those that do, not every officer carries one. Here, all officers are trained to do vehicle duty, quite often foot patrol is a sought after position because of the opportunity to develop street contacts, and to get to know the community on a more personal level. Foot patrol assignments are usually isolated to down town cores of cities, but all officers are encouraged to get out of their patrol cars and talk to the public.

The only police that I'm aware of that don't carry weapons are municipal police in Newfoundland, working the smaller communities. They are essentially bylaw enforcement with the authorization to do traffic stops for vehicle violations. Also, special constables, who generally do prisoner transport/court security are unarmed as well.

Thank you for this information. Canadian forces are something that I am now going to definitely look into, as long as I don't need to be a citizen to join (just permanent resident). Before, I only considered the US because of being put off by having to speak French, but after looking into it, only one language is required. This is certainly another route I could take. Thanks once again!

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
groovybluedog said:
I don't need non-constructive 'feedback' like that. If you feel that way, don't come back to this thread.

Thank you for this information. Canadian forces are something that I am now going to definitely look into, as long as I don't need to be a citizen to join (just permanent resident). Before, I only considered the US because of being put off by having to speak French, but after looking into it, only one language is required. This is certainly another route I could take. Thanks once again!

RCMP requires citizenship, but the police services in Ontario only require permanent resident status. I'm unsure of other provinces.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
BackYardSales said:
Well, you might. Some of us aren't sure your expectations are all that realistic.

And how would you know considering some of the crap you've said around here bashing cops,and we still have know idea what you do . But write BS

JediTalen

Jun 19, 2011
Bummertown, WA
Wil, Correct me if I am wrong, but the OP is a Brit, so wouldn't that make the Citizenship issue a simple administrative matter for him? Not like he's coming from Outer Bumflopistan.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
JediTalen said:
Wil, Correct me if I am wrong, but the OP is a Brit, so wouldn't that make the Citizenship issue a simple administrative matter for him? Not like he's coming from Outer Bumflopistan.

I believe the process for the OP would be the same as it is for everyone else. I sponsored my wife in from the US, and it was the exact same process as it would have been if she was coming from Afghanistan. The only difference is it's easier for Citizen and Immigrations Canada to verify information. While Canada is still a Commonwealth country, we no longer answer to the Brits, and there is no special privileges given to them for immigration purposes. The OP would need to figure out what type of immigration application he would need, probably come to Canada on a student visa, and then apply for a work permit, then request to stay in Canada after completing school...or marry a Canadian...he can even choose what gender Canadian he wants to marry.

groovybluedog

Jan 11, 2012
England
BigWil said:
RCMP requires citizenship, but the police services in Ontario only require permanent resident status. I'm unsure of other provinces.

I've looked into Ontario Provincial Police... It looks... Interesting! And certainly something to explore.

But in the requirements, I see this: "Ontario Grade 12 or equivalency." - What is this? Is this an educational grade?

Furthermore, the FAQ says I can apply under the 'OPC accreditation' as (hopefully) I am an officer from another country, although Google doesn't bring up ANYTHING apart from where 'OPC accreditation' is referenced over the net.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
groovybluedog said:
I've looked into Ontario Provincial Police... It looks... Interesting! And certainly something to explore.

But in the requirements, I see this: "Ontario Grade 12 or equivalency." - What is this? Is this an educational grade?

Furthermore, the FAQ says I can apply under the 'OPC accreditation' as (hopefully) I am an officer from another country, although Google doesn't bring up ANYTHING apart from where 'OPC accreditation' is referenced over the net.

OPC is the Ontario Police College. What they are referring to is if you had attended the Ontario Police College, and received your certificate from them, and had worked in Ontario within the last two years prior to working as a police officer outside Canada, then you would be able to apply as a experienced officer.

The Ontario Grade 12 or equivalency refers to completing high school. It is the bare minimum, they would prefer it if you had completed some college/university.

groovybluedog

Jan 11, 2012
England
BigWil said:
OPC is the Ontario Police College. What they are referring to is if you had attended the Ontario Police College, and received your certificate from them, and had worked in Ontario within the last two years prior to working as a police officer outside Canada, then you would be able to apply as a experienced officer.

The Ontario Grade 12 or equivalency refers to completing high school. It is the bare minimum, they would prefer it if you had completed some college/university.

Thanks. I'm taking a Level 3 Extended course at College in Public Services. I just hope that they will accept the 'equivalent' of a Grade 12.

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
Vermont State Police have statewide authority of all general policing. They do everything from traffic stops and crime investigation, to bomb disposal and body retrieving (Dive team) and have state-wide jurisdiction. Here it ranks: State police>Local Police>County Sheriff>Constable

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
JediTalen said:

LOL. I think that's what I'm going to start saying instead of "BFE". Bumflopistan. LOL.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.