State to take over Detroit

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
The takeover is short of a formal bankruptcy, but it will include appointing an emergency manager who would have many of the same powers as a bankruptcy judge. It could mean throwing out contracts with public employee unions and vendors that the city can't afford, and could lead to further cutbacks in already depleted city services.

Detroit has 10 days to appeal Snyder's decision that there is a financial emergency in the city. Snyder said he has a "top candidate" for the manager post, but that he won't announce it until after the appeals period has passed.

Snyder, a Republican, insisted the emergency manager is the best way to deal with the problems facing the city's operations.

"The current system has not been working. We have not stopped the decline," he said. "This is time for us not to argue or to blame, but to come together as Detroit, Mich., not Detroit vs. Michigan, and bring all of our resources to bear."

- See more at: State set to takeover Detroit city government - Mar. 1, 2013

State set to takeover Detroit city government - Mar. 1, 2013

I mean, it's not like anyone was shocked it came to this. I think were more shocked that it took this long and had to get this bad before the state stepped in to fix it.

Oh, a word to DFD: Become a combination department. Trust me, it isn't that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Looks like more unions are going to take a big hit. And Im sure their greed will take over common sense and they will make demands, but in this case I dont think they have the upper hand.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
twodogs603 said:
Looks like more unions are going to take a big hit. And Im sure their greed will take over common sense and they will make demands, but in this case I dont think they have the upper hand.

Yes, all the evil police, firefighters, and teachers that are ruining America.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
twodogs603 said:
Your putting words in my mouth. I never called anyone evil.

My bad.

Yes, all the greedy police, firefighters, and teachers ruining America.

Corrected.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Please don't feed the trolls. They are starting to procreate via asexual reproduction apparently.. If we starve them out they should go away.

And just for the record, I think the issue is higher up in Detroit, coupled with a failed local economy.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
I'm confused. I thought I was the troll?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
WS224 said:
I'm confused. I thought I was the troll?

Depends on the thread! :thumbsup:

On a more related note, I think it's about time the state did something I just hope this doesn't turn into another government funded fiasco with no substantial end results.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
Or even worse, that the "emergency manager" is just more of a hack and slash type that does little more than order further across the board cuts

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
You can count on the Unions taking a hit. I know this all to well as a State of Michigan Employee we have been cut 2.50 an hour and doubled our

Health Insurance under this Governor. Detroit has had many, many years to pull themselves out of the hole they dug for themselves, I am talking

about the worthless City Council that can't agree on anything and has allowed many thieves steal from the City, Detroit has lost 25 percent of their population

Troubled with crooked Mayors,Police Chiefs is just a few to mention. I feel sorry for Ems, Firefighters, Police Officers and others that work for Detroit but enough

is enough. Detroit and Flint is listed in the top 10 most dangerous Citys to live in. Its sickens me as I am from Detroit and like many others fled while the

getting was good.

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I offered Detroit to Canada a couple months ago (via chatroom here on ELB)

And it was a no-go. Damn. :badday:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
7d9_z28 said:
I offered Detroit to Canada a couple months ago (via chatroom here on ELB)

And it was a no-go. Damn. :badday:
Yea, sorry, American Jewelry and Loan just isn't worth it.... and nor is the rest of Detroit.

Pretty awesome deals at the Costco and gas stations tho.. Just gotta drive quickly between the house fires and gun fire..

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
unlisted said:
Yea, sorry, American Jewelry and Loan just isn't worth it.... and nor is the rest of Detroit.

Pretty awesome deals at the Costco and gas stations tho.. Just gotta drive quickly between the house fires and gun fire..

I live across the state. Worst we have is some kids stealing change out of car ashtrays at night.

And the occasional hit and run.

boboloo

Jun 5, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
WS224 said:
My bad.

Yes, all the greedy police, firefighters, and teachers ruining America.

Corrected.

I think we can all agree that the real greed is the mayor and the city council, and related stooges, judges etc. that are looking at being eliminated and losing $100,000 + pay per year.

About Benton Harbor MI state take-over:

My friend Mike has been "laid-off" from Benton Harbor MI FD since soon after their city was taken over by the state. That was some time ago. Now nearby municipalities are constantly assisting Benton Harbor fire and complaining about it. It gets ugly... but the city is running in the black. I think the state likes to get all services bare-bones and then reduce services by yet another 33%.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
deputychief301 said:
I still say they should build a fence around the city and keep the crooks within the fence and let them destroy
each other.

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

I've said this about an entire state.... say the progressively liberal CO. Put up a fence, dump the criminals in from all over the nation, and let them sort it out in the wild. No need for prisons, no need for gun control..... crime, drug, and entitlement problems all solved.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
rwo978 said:
I've said this about an entire state.... say the progressively liberal CO. Put up a fence, dump the criminals in from all over the nation, and let them sort it out in the wild. No need for prisons, no need for gun control..... crime, drug, and entitlement problems all solved.

I said that about the middle east. Clear it out, build a wall, put our criminals there.

Wasn't there a Kurt Russel movie about this in NY? (Escape from New York?)

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
7d9_z28 said:
I said that about the middle east. Clear it out, build a wall, put our criminals there.

Wasn't there a Kurt Russel movie about this in NY? (Escape from New York?)

Escape from LA

awww.allouttabubblegum.com_main_images_EFLA.jpg

coincidentally, anyone notice the date???? So, LA and Kalifornia will turn to this this year?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
rwo978 said:
Escape from LA
awww.allouttabubblegum.com_main_images_EFLA.jpg

coincidentally, anyone notice the date???? So, LA and Kalifornia will turn to this this year?

Escape from LA was the sequel. And your hotlink appears to have failed :bonk:

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
unlisted said:
Please don't feed the trolls. They are starting to procreate via asexual reproduction apparently.. If we starve them out they should go away.

And just for the record, I think the issue is higher up in Detroit, coupled with a failed local economy.

Ain't that the truth..

MI: Hey, here is millions of dollars, let us turn Belle Isle into a State Park? Since you can't afford you know, things.

Detroit: uhhh, ummm fumble fumble fumble...

MI: Ok, well think about it but just not forever...

Detroit: uhhh, ummm, durrrrrr, barrrrrrrrr....

MI: OK so I guess that is a no then...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.