Stethoscope help?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
My stethoscope is loose at the connection between the head and stem. Is this normal? It seems like I've been having a heck of a time auscultating anything with mine. If I use someone else's I seem to have better luck. I'm just wondering if maybe the loose connection is effecting the ability of pressure waves to move through the tubes?

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
Post a pic or give info on the type you have. A good stethoscope is an investment. Buy a basic Littmann used for 40 - 50 bucks and it'll be worth every penny. Look at School bookstores for good prices on new ones too. Give more info and we'll try and help or at least tell you what will fix it!

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
It's some un-named brand. I asked about it at the station last night and they told me the same thing. The one that I got from them initially was some cheep-o $15 deal that was more of a practice instrument. I was told to not worry about that one and go buy a Littmann. One of the more senior EMTs let me try his [Littmann]. It also had a little play where the head meets the stem, but I could hear 10x better through it. So I salvaged the earpieces from my old one and did away with it. I'll go online today and order a new one (helps that I got my run check last night too!).

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
They tried to give the wife one awhile bach when she first joined the ambulance. She just bought one that was better then the one they had. I think she spent between 55-65 for it.

Came with a little pouch of different ear pieces.

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
In EMS you are going to be listening to lung sounds and blood pressure. You should focus on durability and comfort, not high sound sensitivity. I like to buy American Diagnostic model 603, or Littman Classic II. Those are $20 and $50. As an under or unpaid EMS worker you should save your money. A cardiology grade stethoscope is of no use to you, you aren't differentiating heart murmurs.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
JohnMarcson said:
I like to buy American Diagnostic model 603, or Littman Classic II.

The Littmann Classic II is exactly what I just ordered. Everyone I've asked so far has had nothing but good things to say about that model for EMS.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
JohnMarcson said:
In EMS you are going to be listening to lung sounds and blood pressure. You should focus on durability and comfort, not high sound sensitivity. I like to buy American Diagnostic model 603, or Littman Classic II. Those are $20 and $50. As an under or unpaid EMS worker you should save your money. A cardiology grade stethoscope is of no use to you, you aren't differentiating heart murmurs.

THIS.

I own several stethoscopes that cost upwards of $200.... I teach Paramedic students about heart murmurs....

...but my go-to, every-day is the Littmann Master Classic II.

**3M? Littmann® Master Classic II? Stethoscope, Black Tube, 27 inch, 2144L: 3M? Littmann® Stethoscopes: 3M US

(it's a little on the steeper side, but I prefer the "tunable" bell when it comes to quickly assessing for different things)

If you're serious about a great stethoscope for EMS use, a say stick between $40 and $70. That's the best bang for the buck when it comes to providing great tone and sound transference along with durability and low concern when tossing it around the back of a truck or slipping off your neck in the dirt.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
I'm with John. Stethoscopes are like sidearms, everyone thinks the one they bought is the best, but in reality many are ill-suited to the task they are put to. Having used most all of them for 30+ years, I will say that a nurse-type scope with long tubing has always worked best for me in the field. Littmann cardio scopes look cool but they're heavy around your neck and their internal springs break just like everyone else's. Also, the one-sided diaphragms where you're supposed to vary the pressure to "tune" them, are meant to work against skin and work poorly through a shirt. When you've examined enough smelly/infested/vomity patients, the thrill of "short tubing for exquisite frequency response" wears off quickly. Scopes with a large bell are a pain to use with obese cuffs for BP, usually you're better off with just a nurse BP diaphragm-only scope which is also fine for listening to lungs.

If you don't know the difference between a paradoxical split vs. a fixed split of S2, or what the clinical implications of an S3 are vs. an S4, then maybe the $250 you were going to spend on a master cardiology scope would be better spent on something more useful in your daily scope of practice.

Edit: This wasn't directed towards anyone in particular, if you have the money and want to buy a super-duper-doctor scope, by all means do so, most of us did too at one time. Just be aware of your own needs and rank those ahead of looking cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.