"Storm Chaser" with siren?

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
I was watching some videos of the Hattiesburg Tornado and this guy is using a siren with what looks to be full amber lightbar.

Guys video (Watch the whole video, you will see his "pov" & the other chasers)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN

the word for the day must have been "continue"

this guy sounds he should be at home playing call of duty or something........ :crazy:

Storm spotter motto....

chase storm
continue
watch damage
continue
yell at passagers
continue
follow other whacker
continue
observe more dmage
continue
see injured people
contiue, no wait stop its over we have to render aid, continue, render aid

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I'm so F'in tired of watching videos of people who have absolutely NO need for any sirens, or vollies that knowingly go obnoxiously WAY above what they're allowed to have (ie people in courtesy light states that install audible warning devices or people that put whatever color they feel like on their POVs).

As for storm chasers, I think most of their work can be done in an office (there's that little thing that meteorologists have called "weather radar" and, unlike Bluetooth and other items with a limited range of a few ft, weather radar doesn't require the operator to be right up in the face of a storm to track it. I don't have a problem with amber lights on vehicles, but there's no reason a storm chaser needs a siren and to haul ass to chase a storm that you can see from a quite a distance away

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
pdk9 said:
I'm so F'in tired of watching videos of people who have absolutely NO need for any sirens, or vollies that knowingly go obnoxiously WAY above what they're allowed to have (ie people in courtesy light states that install audible warning devices or people that put whatever color they feel like on their POVs).

As for storm chasers, I think most of their work can be done in an office (there's that little thing that meteorologists have called "weather radar" and, unlike Bluetooth and other items with a limited range of a few ft, weather radar doesn't require the operator to be right up in the face of a storm to track it. I don't have a problem with amber lights on vehicles, but there's no reason a storm chaser needs a siren and to haul ass to chase a storm that you can see from a quite a distance away

I agree with you. I also don't see the need for a chaser, but I do see the need for spotters.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
strobecrazy said:
I agree with you. I also don't see the need for a chaser, but I do see the need for spotters.

Agreed. Without our Storm Spotters, Tornado Warnings would be significantly delayed or may never happen. Tornado Chasers are often a hindrance to our spotter and response operations.

Even with coming enhancements to NWS radar, there is still a need for spotters to report rapidly changing conditions. We are often able to sound sirens several minutes before the NWS Warning is issued based on experienced spotters providing accurate information and pinpointing specific locations when funnels are forming that don't show up on radar. Spotters are the backbone of our community and county Tornado Warning and Tornado Response plans.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
MESDA6 said:
Agreed. Without our Storm Spotters, Tornado Warnings would be significantly delayed or may never happen. Tornado Chasers are often a hindrance to our spotter and response operations.

Even with coming enhancements to NWS radar, there is still a need for spotters to report rapidly changing conditions. We are often able to sound sirens several minutes before the NWS Warning is issued based on experienced spotters providing accurate information and pinpointing specific locations when funnels are forming that don't show up on radar. Spotters are the backbone of our community and county Tornado Warning and Tornado Response plans.

Thank you guys for all you do...

Blood doesn't bother me.

Trauma doesn't make me squirm.

I look forward to running into burning buildings.

Put a tornado within 50mi of me and I ball up into the fetal position and scream like a little bitch.

There is something about how uncontrollable, indiscriminate, unpredictable, and forceful those things are that puts the fear of god in me.

I have never even seen one, only taken part in some nasty storms with high winds, hail, and a little rotation... But you should see me when the weather alert radio goes off. I go into full blown panic attacks.

It's actually kind of sad but I have always been scared shitless of naders. :no:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ok glad some people came in commented before i went off on a rant. im a storm spotter. we ARE NOT allowed to chase in this state. However, if im on the way to a county storm shelter and the weather is around me then technicaly im not chasing it lol (it could be chasing me like the time i had to drive 9 miles to a storm shelter and the sky outside was an eery green color.

REAL storm chasers can be useful. Storm spotters are very beneficial because the radar cant see everything

i took the storm spotter class a few years ago because i was bored but it turned ou to be very informative. if they ever do anothe radvanced spotter class when i have a day off i might look into it.

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
strobecrazy said:

I am a storm chaser for a TV station in Oklahoma City. This year, we saved lives as we chased the EF-5 tornado in Moore, and the EF-5 tornado in El Reno.

I will say there seem to be a LOT of "storm chasers" on the roads these days, we were put behind by a few of them this year.

In our truck we use a Whelen AMBER minibar and some PEL A/W lights on the front of the truck. We installed more lights after the El Reno tornado. People were chasing the storms in minivans, some were moms with their kids taking pics with iPhones. People didn't know who we were and that we were WORKING to save lives.

When a tornado is on the ground in a city or town, there is a "wave of chaos" that follows. Power goes out, lines go down, people freak out, etc. There were a few times when we had to go above the posted speed limit and even run through some traffic lights. All of this was to help people stay informed and allow them to seek shelter.

I don't think we need to have 200 "chasers" on each storm, but I do think that what WE (in the media along with VFFs and SkyWarn) do saves lives.

The difference between a spotter and a chaser? Chasers move.

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
ctmcdonell said:
There were a few times when we had to go above the posted speed limit and even run through some traffic lights. All of this was to help people stay informed and allow them to seek shelter.

The difference between a spotter and a chaser? Chasers move.

So you risk your lives and the lives of other people on the road to save lives? I'm just a bit confused on how amber lighting gives you the authority to run traffic lights and speed....

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Wow this thing is revived again?

A a "trained" weather spotter, I am out every time there's a significant threat of a severe and/or life-endangering storm. I call myself a spotter, most call me a chaser, guys on my fire dept. call me an idiot. I only put the amber on my car when spotters are requested AND I only stay within "my" county. I have probably reported 30 or so funnels with MAYBE 12 of them starting to lower, more like 10. The reason why that matters? We weren't even under a tornado warning. Nothing was shown on radar what so ever. If it wasn't for my reports, then being followed up by other spotters, LEOs, fire, and EMS personel, we wouldn't have even had sirens going at all.

The problem here is there are MORONS that put this line of work to shame and make all of us look bad. There is NO reason for a spotter to have ANY type of audible warning. EVER. There is no reason a spotter should ever use anything other than amber/white for visual. There is no reason to be a moron and hang outside your freaking window to try to capture it on camera, OR get out of your car at all while debris is falling. All spotter should use the same mentality as firefighters, LEOs, and EMS; "I have to keep myself safe in order to keep others safe." Period. Spotters/chasers are needed for the meteorological society. Morons are not.

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
:no:

Tlauden said:
So you risk your lives and the lives of other people on the road to save lives? I'm just a bit confused on how amber lighting gives you the authority to run traffic lights and speed....

You misunderstand. It's not about "authority" to "run lights and speed" it's about safety. If we would have stopped at every intersection and went 35MPH while the tornado was on the ground, instead of safely navigating the intersections, people could have died.

Not to mention the countless amount of times we had to park at an angle on the street to watch the tornados.

This year alone has seen a HUGE increase in the number of chasers out there, most drive saw and follow the law. Many don't, as is proven by the above videos.

It comes down to this as far as the lights: Amber is NOT regulated. Anyone can have as many AMBER lights on their vehicle as they want. They can have them on from the moment they leave he till they decide to turn them off. Does that mean people should? Not at all. Sirens? That's a grey area. Some say they use them for "mobile tornado warnings", but that's probably not the case.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I understand how a spotter works to observe and report in efforts to provide as much advanced warning as possible. And there are many good minded spotters. But these chasers are simply dangerous. No EVOC training, a self imposed feeling of 'my speeding through debris is saving lives', someone posted up a a few how he was saving lives chasing an F5 passing soccer moms and other people following the storm. I really wonder how this guy is 'saving lives' speeding with amber lights, behind a tornado, around other panicked motorists. I've been unlucky enough to have had a tornado cross my path and be the only public safety official close to it. I had a police radio, and was in direct communication with city EM dispatch, and still the only thing I could do was report where it was and what it hit. I was roughly half a mile parallel to the tornado, and never ever want to do that again. I had to stop to clear a roadway where a building had taken a hit, so the FD could get to the building. At no point did I think to my self, "self, I'm saving lives by following this thing", more like "self, this is the scariest thing I have done". Storm spotters are vastly different than chasers. I think chasers are nothing more than action junkies, that have convinced themselves that they are legit and 'save lives' even though they are not ahead of the tornado, and are driving like douchellamas. Chasers do not need lights, and never ever have any use for a siren. I seem to recall SkyWarn getting very clear about spotters having lights being a frowned upon thing. That boosted my respect for SkyWarn and spotters.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
ctmcdonell said:
It comes down to this as far as the lights: Amber is NOT regulated. Anyone can have as many AMBER lights on their vehicle as they want. They can have them on from the moment they leave he till they decide to turn them off. Does that mean people should? Not at all. Sirens? That's a grey area. Some say they use them for "mobile tornado warnings", but that's probably not the case.

I would educate yourself a bit before you make such statements. Even amber lights are regulated in some states, and sirens are most definitely regulated.

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
HILO said:
I understand how a spotter works to observe and report in efforts to provide as much advanced warning as possible. And there are many good minded spotters. But these chasers are simply dangerous. No EVOC training, a self imposed feeling of 'my speeding through debris is saving lives', someone posted up a a few how he was saving lives chasing an F5 passing soccer moms and other people following the storm. I really wonder how this guy is 'saving lives' speeding with amber lights, behind a tornado, around other panicked motorists. I've been unlucky enough to have had a tornado cross my path and be the only public safety official close to it. I had a police radio, and was in direct communication with city EM dispatch, and still the only thing I could do was report where it was and what it hit. I was roughly half a mile parallel to the tornado, and never ever want to do that again. I had to stop to clear a roadway where a building had taken a hit, so the FD could get to the building. At no point did I think to my self, "self, I'm saving lives by following this thing", more like "self, this is the scariest thing I have done". Storm spotters are vastly different than chasers. I think chasers are nothing more than action junkies, that have convinced themselves that they are legit and 'save lives' even though they are not ahead of the tornado, and are driving like douchellamas. Chasers do not need lights, and never ever have any use for a siren. I seem to recall SkyWarn getting very clear about spotters having lights being a frowned upon thing. That boosted my respect for SkyWarn and spotters.

I agree with you, most chasers are adrenaline junkies doing it for the thrill and the money. I am NOT one of those people. We were live on the air telling people where the tornado was and where it was headed. People watching our channel knew to take shelter.

I'm not defending the other chasers, only explaining why we (teams of meteorologists and journalists) use emergency lights to help save lives.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Easy way to solve it.. Only turn on ambers when you're at a point to observe. Really you should never be actually chasing the storm.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Tlauden said:

Sounds a lot like vollies in states where they are only allowed to use curtosy lights.... *cough* like mine *cough*...

Also, it sounds like half of this argument is pure semantics.. chaser vs spotter... it sounds a lot like EMT vs medic.. simulair roles, but very different responsibilities... but the general population doesn't know that.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
One of the big problems we have with chasers is that they often don't know where they are if they aren't from the area. They look at a map or GPS and will call in a tornado as being near "Smithtown" because it's the closest town on the map. Often the warning is issued and there is absolutely nothing happening in Smithtown. Our town is surrounded by miles of corn fields in all directions. We are the biggest town on the map in this area, but there are a number of smaller towns that may not appear in a map book.

I had this happen here when one of the chasers that you regularly see on TV in a fortified vehicle called in a Tornado Warning for our town. He not only called it in to the wrong weather office, but called it in for a location on the map 15 miles from where he actually was. The storm had already passed through here, but a warning ended up being issued because NWS thought he was seeing something they couldn't pick up on radar.

Of course, we were the only ones who caught flak about it because we made a decision to not sound sirens, as the weather was clear, and we had personnel in the area that was warned confirming that nothing was happening and that the storm had passed through here about 10 minutes prior.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
After watching these 'chaser' videos, I have come to realize something. The video above shows the chaser toning through an intersection, and then (for no reason I can see) yelps a few times as he comes to a stop at a road blockage. This person is taking advantage of LE being tied up with the disaster at hand, using his siren when he feels sure there are no LEO's around, or they are to busy actually helping victims. If you have equipment such as a siren or EV color lights, and you have to sneak around (yes I realize saying sneak around using blinks and woos sounds silly, but it is really what they do) to play with your toys, you simply do not need them. If you can not roll past a cop car with colors flashing and siren going, with out you bunghole puckering, you dont need the lights and siren. If you can, without hesitation, roll full code through intersections and past LEO's, you are legit.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
Any jackass with a cell phone can call the local news and "spot" a tornado. No need for blinkies or sy-reens, watching & spotting are merely a lame excuse to claim a need for such equipment. However, I'm all for the debris field falling on their heads, or possibly crashing into each other as they race to "spot" first.

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
HILO said:
After watching these 'chaser' videos, I have come to realize something. The video above shows the chaser toning through an intersection, and then (for no reason I can see) yelps a few times as he comes to a stop at a road blockage. This person is taking advantage of LE being tied up with the disaster at hand, using his siren when he feels sure there are no LEO's around, or they are to busy actually helping victims. If you have equipment such as a siren or EV color lights, and you have to sneak around (yes I realize saying sneak around using blinks and woos sounds silly, but it is really what they do) to play with your toys, you simply do not need them. If you can not roll past a cop car with colors flashing and siren going, with out you bunghole puckering, you dont need the lights and siren. If you can, without hesitation, roll full code through intersections and past LEO's, you are legit.

Well said!

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
I have lost most of my knowledge on the subject because I haven't been out in force in several years, but I used to know A LOT about tornado formation and severe storms, and chased tornadoes. Mostly due to time constraints, the only one I ever successfully chased was the Parkersburg, IA EF5 in 08. I remember every time I was out, there were hoardes and hoardes of people with CB radios and flashing yellow lights just generally getting in the way and looking dumb. I don't have a vehicle that I can chase in anymore (I don't trust my wrangler with a fiberglass top to withstand some of the stuff I've been in on accident), but I still have respect for the REAL researchers and the REAL chasers. And definitely for the spotters who know what they're doing.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
your looking for this ben

just listen for the sound of the t rex from jurrasic park

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Mr. McDolnell is a 1st class troll. I don't think we should be giving him the time of day honestly. But, since I've been in the mood for a good argument, I'll bite...

ctmcdonell said:
I am a storm chaser for a TV station in Oklahoma City. This year, we saved lives as we chased the EF-5 tornado in Moore, and the EF-5 tornado in El Reno.

Who's "we"?

ctmcdonell said:
In our truck we use a Whelen AMBER minibar and some PEL A/W lights on the front of the truck. We installed more lights after the El Reno tornado. People were chasing the storms in minivans, some were moms with their kids taking pics with iPhones. People didn't know who we were and that we were WORKING to save lives.

Define "work"

ctmcdonell said:
When a tornado is on the ground in a city or town, there is a "wave of chaos" that follows. Power goes out, lines go down, people freak out, etc. There were a few times when we had to go above the posted speed limit and even run through some traffic lights. All of this was to help people stay informed and allow them to seek shelter.

How does any of your 3rd sentence apply to your 4th sentence?

ctmcdonell said:
I don't think we need to have 200 "chasers" on each storm, but I do think that what WE (in the media along with VFFs and SkyWarn) do saves lives.

Again, who is "we"?

You misunderstand. It's not about "authority" to "run lights and speed" it's about safety. If we would have stopped at every intersection and went 35MPH while the tornado was on the ground, instead of safely navigating the intersections, people could have died.

How?

Not to mention the countless amount of times we had to park at an angle on the street to watch the tornados.

What does parking at an angle on the street gain you? (if you say "it saves lives" I will jump out my window). Trained first responders are given very specific guidelines for operating on public motorways. Nowhere in those guidelines are we told to park on the street so we can get a better look at things.

Many don't [follow the law], as is proven by the above videos.

Such as yourself by what you've said so far.

Sirens? That's a grey area.

No it's not.

Some say they use them for "mobile tornado warnings"

That's not a real thing

I agree with you, most chasers are adrenaline junkies doing it for the thrill and the money. I am NOT one of those people.

Prove it, ditch the lights.

We were live on the air telling people where the tornado was and where it was headed.

Really? You knew where it was headed? Do you have atmospheric instrumentation on your vehicle that allows you to predict the track of the tornado?

People watching our channel knew to take shelter.

The station that you chase for is doing the public a huge disservice if the public's first notice to take shelter came from you.

I'm not defending the other chasers, only explaining why we (teams of meteorologists and journalists) use emergency lights to help save lives.

Which are you? And before you say "journalist" let's consult Merriam-Webster:

a : a person engaged in journalism; especially : a writer or editor for a news medium

b : a writer who aims at a mass audience

Also, in-before-the-ring!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
:goodpost: :dance:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
We should just put this merge this thread into the whacker thread, because there is no difference between this and that, lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.