Strange goings on- Firefighters shot at, and stabbed by police officer

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
From The Secret list, Firefighter close calls, reprinted without permission.

(Chief G is a member here, and I'm sure he will request it pulled if he objects)

COP ATTACKS FIREFIGHTERS WITH A KNIFE AND A GUN-SHOTS FIRED & FF's STABBED.

A Virginia Beach Police Officer is in custody in Accomack County after he allegedly stabbed and shot at 2 Firefighters operating at a car crash that the man was involved in on Route 13. Fire and rescue companies responded to a 911 call for a car that had ran off the road and struck a tree around 0645 this morning.

FF's were treating Bradley Colas, 23, of Virginia Beach, with injuries he sustained in the crash when he became irritated with fire and rescue personnel and he became combative. Colas began to fight with the Firefighters and stabbed 2 of them during the altercation. HOWEVER. the firefighters then fought back, striking Colas in the head, but then Colas pulled out a gun and began shooting at the Firefighters and Medics. Colas attempted to walk away from the scene but was stopped by Virginia State Troopers and was still holding the handgun when he was grabbed. Colas was taken to Eastern Shore Memorial Hospital where he is in custody and under medical observation.

Fire Fighter Close Calls.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
plybeep68 said:
Do you have a link to the story?

I found dozens of links to the news story on a Google search. It appears to be legit.

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
Steve0625 said:
I found dozens of links to the news story on a Google search. It appears to be legit.

Look over me, I haven't jump started my brain this morning! :duh: i didn't even think to do that

I guess i should have put in my previous post that i was looking for a video link, found one from WAVY.TV

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Steve0625 said:

He's asking because this is a copyright rule here that you need a linkl to the article.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
JohnMarcson said:
He's asking because this is a copyright rule here that you need a linkl to the article.

That is the OP's responsibility, correct?

I only responded because of the comment that someone on the board might want the story pulled.

Multiple hits on a search engine pretty much suggest that it is public knowledge and would preclude it being pulled, right?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Steve0625 said:
That is the OP's responsibility, correct?

I only responded because of the comment that someone on the board might want the story pulled.

Multiple hits on a search engine pretty much suggest that it is public knowledge and would preclude it being pulled, right?

It has nothing to do with it being public knowledge...it's a copyrights issue. If an article is posted w/o being linked it has to be pulled per our legal council/ISP. The risk of a takedown notice/violation is too great. OP needs to add the link.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Travelin Man said:
I can verify it's legit, I have a friend who was on the scene. Many details that haven't been made public yet.

Again, whether it is legit has absolutely nothing to do with this...... it's the reposting without permission or credit or link. The contnet makes no difference. The article can be a total lie about tea kettle covers..... it's the act of directly copying and posting it w/o a link or credit.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
JohnMarcson said:
Again, whether it is legit has absolutely nothing to do with this...... it's the reposting without permission or credit or link. The contnet makes no difference. The article can be a total lie about tea kettle covers..... it's the act of directly copying and posting it w/o a link or credit.

I'm no lawyer, obviously, but I believe the ffclosecalls/the secret list do not copy right their stuff as they prefer it to be redistributed freely so the word can get out as quickly as possible on most stories. Just a thought. I could be wrong, it happens every couple of years. Now, back to the original point of the thread, I would suspect that he had a head injury that caused him to act that way. I surely hope it wasn't a case of him just loosing his cool.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
JohnMarcson said:

why can't people do what is asked of them instead of excuss'e for cryin' out loud.it's part of the R&r's then it should be followed. It's how John keeps this site up and running. :thumbsup:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Bigassfireman said:
I'm no lawyer, obviously, but I believe the ffclosecalls/the secret list do not copy right their stuff as they prefer it to be redistributed freely so the word can get out as quickly as possible on most stories. Just a thought. I could be wrong, it happens every couple of years. Now, back to the original point of the thread, I would suspect that he had a head injury that caused him to act that way. I surely hope it wasn't a case of him just loosing his cool.

I don't have time to figure out which site these are improperly reposted from. If it's a reposted article, post the link or it gets removed.... There are places that allow unlinked reposts... but I can't verify that each time...

No matter where it's from, if you repost or fully quote an article or other publication, you must provide a link. This is to protect the site from copyright suits and shutdowns. This has nothing to do with the content of the article. The only exception is if you have written permission to repost an article, in which case you must state this in the post. If you simply repost or quote an article or publication w/o a link it will be removed. Come on, you went to the trouble of copy pasting the entire article... is it that hard to copy paste the link to it?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Back on topic....

Sounds like a classic case of head injury...definitely wouldn't be the first person to become combative after getting bumped on the head in an MVA or other accident....

My first actual fire back when I was a Junior, my chief went through a first floor window, turned out it was the window in the middle of the stairs going down to the basement of the business. Fell about 10 feet, landed on his tank, and somehow bumped his head. We pulled him out and, guess what, he was combative while we were trying to treat him!

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
The story is 100% true. 23 yo Virginia Beach police officer involved in single vehicle accident on the Eastern Shore. Volunteer firefighters on scene were tending to him when he got irritated with them and stabbed them. They fought back, hitting him over the head, and then he fired shots at them. He was walking away from the scene when he was apprehended by a Virginia State trooper. He is currently in the hospital and will be charged. Story at WAVY.com | News, Weather and Traffic for Hampton Roads, Virginia and North Carolina

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
twodogs603 said:
The story is 100% true. 23 yo Virginia Beach police officer involved in single vehicle accident on the Eastern Shore. Volunteer firefighters on scene were tending to him when he got irritated with them and stabbed them. They fought back, hitting him over the head, and then he fired shots at them. He was walking away from the scene when he was apprehended by a Virginia State trooper. He is currently in the hospital and will be charged. Story at WAVY.com | News, Weather and Traffic for Hampton Roads, Virginia and North Carolina

Who said it's wasn't true?

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
There is a lot of spin on this story from the fire side. Every time I've seen it reposted places (be it here, FB, etc) the tag line is along the lines of "Cop stabs Firefighters"... making it sound like an "us vs. them" type of situation.

In reality it was a cop who went crazy and attacked the people infront of him, which included Firefighters and Police Officers.

If I recall from my BLS class, the instructor did mention that more often than not, patients with head injuries experience violent tendencies. Sounds like this may have been the case here to the extreme. Sad situation all around.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Zack said:
There is a lot of spin on this story from the fire side. Every time I've seen it reposted places (be it here, FB, etc) the tag line is along the lines of "Cop stabs Firefighters"... making it sound like an "us vs. them" type of situation.

In reality it was a cop who went crazy and attacked the people infront of him, which included Firefighters and Police Officers.

I can understand it being worded like that on firefighterclosecalls.... it's a site for firefighters.... But as far as in the media..... It's more exciting worded that way..... news is entertainment..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.