StreetHawk model S-I series A

PaulW

Apr 1, 2014
Rhode Island
Hello, I just picked this 40 inch bar up today off craigslist in pretty decent shape. All four rotators are wired to circuit boards screwed to a leg on each rotator, also has a odd type of hold down for the 55 watt bulbs. They look like they could screw off but they don't really do anything except turn a bit with bulb. I don't want to break anything so I wonder if any of you know of what I'm talking about. I would of tried to post some pics but wasn't sure how to do it. Thank you for any help, probably a simple answer but of all the StreetHawks I've seen and/or owned I've never seen these.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
On your post it says "attach files" if you are on a phone it will ask where to get the file from... Upload where ever your picture file is.. you can upload multiple..

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
These Rotators are called (in wiring diagram, Partslist etc.) international.
StreetHawk S1 40 -14a.jpg
IIt has a 6VDC motor and the board is a voltage regulator from 12V to 6V. As a result, they rotate only as fast as the standard rotators.
But in combination with the rubber bearings, the rotators are quieter than the standard rotator.

Her is another international StreetHawk:

PaulW

Apr 1, 2014
Rhode Island
Ahh, yes exactly like that Benno, except mine are older, all metal style dated 1988. They also have an odd way of holding down the bulb, looks like a screw cap. I just don't want to force it off the wrong way and break the fool thing. As for pics I took with my phone but I'm on my laptop for this. But I thank you for the info as I never saw these before.

Bobcat753

Mar 9, 2014
Mass
Those are just simple clips that pull off. Take a pair of needle nose pliers grab the front part of the metal clip and pull horizontally away from the bulb. They will come right off then you can pull the bulb out.

PaulW

Apr 1, 2014
Rhode Island
No they fully encircle the bulb and resemble a screw cap. I tried turning it a little but the bulb also moves with it and I tried to gently pry up but nothing. I'm trying to find my cord where I can transfer pics from my phone to my laptop so I can put up pics.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
No they fully encircle the bulb and resemble a screw cap. I tried turning it a little but the bulb also moves with it and I tried to gently pry up but nothing. I'm trying to find my cord where I can transfer pics from my phone to my laptop so I can put up pics.
Sounds possibly home brew to me.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I've never seen that before, even on the first models. Is that silicone or glue at the bottom of the ring? If the bulb is somehow stuck to the ring, the bulb will twist, as the only thing holding the bulb is the wire. I'm still thinking home brew, or something done to pass European specs. I'd keep trying.

PaulW

Apr 1, 2014
Rhode Island
Yes it's silicon, I'm beginning to think you may be right on home brew. Now I'm more curious on getting it apart and see why it was done like this. Thank you for all the input on this curiosity.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I've never seen that before, even on the first models. Is that silicone or glue at the bottom of the ring? If the bulb is somehow stuck to the ring, the bulb will twist, as the only thing holding the bulb is the wire. I'm still thinking home brew, or something done to pass European specs. I'd keep trying.
I have seen that before, I just can't remember what it was on, it is supposed to spin off but might have to hold the gear in place so you don't strip it or break it while turning the hold down piece, I don't think your supposed to remove the whole thing from the bar but who knows atm.

PaulW

Apr 1, 2014
Rhode Island
I've never posted on here before, I would just read and find any answers I have been looking for until now. I have roughly almost 150 lightbars (just sold a 30 bar lot to a friend a while back) And this one admittedly stumped me too. So better to ask the community on this one. Thank you

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Out of the dozens and dozens of Hawk bars I have had, I have NEVER seen the screw style bulb holder shown on yours. I believe it is as others have said a home remedy to someone losing the proper retention clip.

I would love to see more photos of your collection!

PaulW

Apr 1, 2014
Rhode Island
Got it unscrewed, I must say if it is home made they did a superb job. A absolute perfect fit. I am gonna try to remove the next portion if possible

Attachments

• 20210112_185200.jpg
    20210112_185200.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 12

PaulW

Apr 1, 2014
Rhode Island
This is the bottom of it, the riveted end spins with the screw portion. Maybe it is factory because who would go to all that trouble just to secure a bulb? And all 4 rotator are just like this one. Ooh a mystery lol.

Attachments

• 20210112_190201.jpg
    20210112_190201.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 8

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Page 3 of my parts diagram shows the international motor with the standard clip. This is from 1994. I don't personally have literature prior to that for the Hawk series

Attachments

• Federal Hawk Series.pdf
    724.3 KB · Views: 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.