strobe power supply question

May 23, 2013
nc
well my setup goes as this, whelen 4head 75w i think power supply, whelen grill strobes, and whelen strobe haw's in front wired to front output, whelen haw strobes in tail lights off rear output

ok this is weird but maby yall might can figure it out, but from what im thinking the power wire isn't big enough

i have a fed sig 6 switch swichbox, 1 goes to dashlight and rear window lights (4 head fed sig riccochet power supply), 2 goes to side window strobes (whelen dashking 2000), 3 goes to front output on power supply, 4 goes to rear output on power supply, 5 is for traffic advisor when i get it in, and 6 is for main power to whelen power supply

ok to wire it i used 14guage security wire like this 14 AWG 2C Carol Architectural Speaker Cable 1000 ft. CL3R 100-738

switch 1 i used the pos output on it for my strobe and grounded to car, splitted the wire off switch 2 to both of my side window lights, 3 and 4 are useing the same wire (red 3, black 4) didn't need ground for trigger wires, 5 is extra, and 6 is a heavy duty relay activated output, so i wired it to the power supply

each output on the switch box is fused @ 20, maby 25amps, i have a main switch ran through a relay to cut on the switchbox (and same switch turns on my leds on toolbox), relay is being fed by 8guage power wire fused i think at 80amps, and what knot

ok my problem is, when i activate my front switch for front strobes they are bright as would be, but when i switch on the rear strobes the front ones dim to about half it would seem, now i did have my 14guage going to regular strobe cable for inputs, but i put a amp pin on the wire and plugged them straight into power supply and same thing happined

it does the same if rear is on and i then cut on fronts

so my question is, what size wire should i run to my strobe power supply? i thought 14guage copper would be good enough, its rigid and what knot but i dunno

im thinking about putting either 12guage or 10guage to it to see if that might be the case

now my power supply has a hi/low wire but its not activated, should i try to see if that might have something to do with it? its not even hooked up so i dunno

everything works as it should, just wondering if its the power supply?

im going to be purchasing a whelen 6head off of paul on here sometime to replace this one with, it might just be that its old, but why would it be right when one output is on, and then go dim with other on?

now i do have 16guage strobe cable so i dont think thats the problem

im kinda new to the "install" game with this stuff, but ive been installing car stereo stuff for about 10yrs so i know a little on 12v stuff, and have tinkerd with lights forever, but now getting back in the game

thankx for the help

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
tacomabanga19861986 said:
so my question is, what size wire should i run to my strobe power supply? i thought 14guage copper would be good enough,

14 gauge should be adequate. I suspect a bad connection or ground, or the power supply itself.

May 23, 2013
nc
thats what i was thinking, i wonder if i wired the power supply derectly to the battery, would it still draw power if the "triggers" are not activated?

like, can i hook it up to the battery, and then just turn it on via the front and rear input wires?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.