strobe supply issue

emtfirebug

Jun 26, 2012
Monmouth County NJ
i have a whelen cps90 power supply. strobes worked prior to the snow that i got here in nj on thursday night. all connecters are in wire loom and taped and all strobes are silicone around the headlight/taillight housing so no water can get in. they are not working now but i can hear the strobe pack trying to work. strobe pack is in cab underneath rear bench seat. any ideas of what is causing them not to work and what to do to correct the issue

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
If possible, try another power supply & hook it up using your existing connections. That would narrow it down to the p/s. If all your connections (power, ground, etc.) & fuses are good, the supply might be dead.

emtfirebug

Jun 26, 2012
Monmouth County NJ
i do not believe it is the supply as i did have an issue when it rained with them cutting out but would come back the longer i left the switch on. which is the reason why i silicone everything and taped all connectors up

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
With the power supply on, unplug each strobe cable from the power supply, one at a time. I have a feeling its a strobe tube or connection issue.

Lighten

Jul 4, 2013
Georgia
twodogs603 said:
With the power supply on, unplug each strobe cable from the power supply, one at a time. I have a feeling its a strobe tube or connection issue.

Yes do that. I have seen countless times when u tape up the amp connector by the strobe bulb water will collect inside it and short the connection and in turn make the rest of them not fire. Unless u use alot of tape or water proof connectors or heat shrink.

emtfirebug

Jun 26, 2012
Monmouth County NJ
i started testing individual cables but its just to cold to do it. im going to wait till it warms up a bit and see if they come back on this way i can label the cables so i know which 1 is where

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Just a couple go quick ideas:

If the strobe heads are using the standard AMP plug near the taillight housing that's probably the issue. I would cut them out and either install deutch waterproof ones or splice without a connector but with solder and heat shrink.

Also, be very careful manipulating the strobe heads and cable when the power supply is on or has been in the prior 10 minutes or so. I one shorted a head out and it bit me hard - threw me clean off the car!

Good luck

Bill

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
Ya I can say use a pair of insulated pliers to remove the plugs from the strobe pack. I had one that zapped me when I was moving plugs around. It hit me hard enough go wow what wtf was that, I felt the strobe pluses go through my body and I felt weird and tingly for about an hour. Needless to say I hate working on them but when I do I take all precautions.

Jan 5, 2013
Des Moines Iowa
Sounds like water or ice. Had the same problem on a tow truck years ago. They would work great after truck was inside overnight. All i could do was pull each connector and apply some dielectric grease. After that thew worked great.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.