Suggestions for 2016 Explorer Sport warning lights

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
Looking to upfit my 16 Explorer Sport (not PI) and was looking for some input/suggestions on what you guys would do as far as install locations and equipment goes. I was going to go with a handheld siren, just not looking to drill up the dash or any other significant drilling in the car.

Heres my basic plan, but again open to any and all suggestions.
R/W lights on the headliner
2 Red grille lights
R/W lights in side-rear windows
2 R/B lights in rear window.
Possibly hideaways in taillights

Thanks!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looking to upfit my 16 Explorer Sport (not PI) and was looking for some input/suggestions on what you guys would do as far as install locations and equipment goes. I was going to go with a handheld siren, just not looking to drill up the dash or any other significant drilling in the car.

Heres my basic plan, but again open to any and all suggestions.
R/W lights on the headliner
2 Red grille lights
R/W lights in side-rear windows
2 R/B lights in rear window.
Possibly hideaways in taillights

Thanks!

Id keep it simple with solid colors lights instead of R/W.

FRONT:
Dual Red avenger/viper dash light
2 solid red grill lights
HLF

SIDES:
Solid red intersectors below the mirrors (remember that the holes from drilling are all hidden).
Solid red cobra/fusion 200s in rear side windows.

REAR:
6 head lightstick (RRRBBB) or 1 solid red and 1 solid blue light (i.e. Single Avengers/vipers or 2 cobra/fusion 200s) on each side of the headliner.
2 solid color cannons in the reverse lights (1 red & 1 blue, OR 2 Amber).

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
Id keep it simple with solid colors lights instead of R/W.

FRONT:
Dual Red avenger/viper dash light
2 solid red grill lights
HLF

SIDES:
Solid red intersectors below the mirrors (remember that the holes from drilling are all hidden).
Solid red cobra/fusion 200s in rear side windows.

REAR:
6 head lightstick (RRRBBB) or 1 solid red and 1 solid blue light (i.e. Single Avengers/vipers or 2 cobra/fusion 200s) on each side of the headliner.
2 solid color cannons in the reverse lights (1 red & 1 blue, OR 2 Amber).

Thanks for the reply/suggestion, its greatly appreciated.

Just to get some insight, is there a reason for your preference of the solid red vs white combo? I know it makes a "pink blur" sometime, but I feel the white helps break up that solid red overkill and a red/white (even if its just 2 heads) ILB always looked sick to me, versus all red. Same for the sides, I just thought it would break up the solid color monotony.

Lastly, are the Avengers comparable in brightness to these newer lights that are out? I know they have been around for a while. I thought my talons were bright until i got my hands on a T6 cobra. Makes my whole talon look antiquated compared to one small lighthead.

My 02 Explorer had the following simple install, which is what i am trying to mimic:
2 red TIR6 grille lights
2 RW Talons on the rear side windows
2 RB Sync Talons in the rear window
And Hideaways all around

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I prefer the dual red b/c I like to have both modules of a dual dash light flash together in signal alert or, for the front dash only, quickly alternating (i.e. 300 FPS single flash). I think that both of these options give you a nice big punch. However, you can also consider the dual color dual avenger/vipers and have the entire unit flash all red then all white for a big punch

Yes, I believe that the avengers (although around for a while) still pack more of a punch than the Feniex products; part of this is b/c the reflector (and consequently the unit itself) is larger in the viper/avenger family of dash lights.

Although I would prefer larger grill footprints, I've seen ppl do a nice job with using microns with the civi explorer grill.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
I prefer the dual red b/c I like to have both modules of a dual dash light flash together in signal alert or, for the front dash only, quickly alternating (i.e. 300 FPS single flash). I think that both of these options give you a nice big punch. However, you can also consider the dual color dual avenger/vipers and have the entire unit flash all red then all white for a big punch

Yes, I believe that the avengers (although around for a while) still pack more of a punch than the Feniex products; part of this is b/c the reflector (and consequently the unit itself) is larger in the viper/avenger family of dash lights.

Although I would prefer larger grill footprints, I've seen ppl do a nice job with using microns with the civi explorer grill.
Thanks for all your insight. I really appreciate it. Im gonna have to look at the microns. I have the Sport and the grille, while similar to the P.I., is wavy but seems solid thruout and no room to mount anything, except below it. Ill have to look at those microns.

13TTPP

Feb 11, 2016
San Antonio, Tx
Tuned already :cool: I'm jelly here. I've got the Livernois tuner just haven't had the scratch yet to get them to transfer the tunes to my car. Its kind of sad really, I spend hours idling my car in lane closures & I worry how much wear and tear the hours add.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Here's what my Lt and I did on his civilian Explorer. It's a mix and match of equipment he already had plus some new Feniex lights I got for him, but the end result is very effective.

Windshield: Whelen split Inner Edge, red/white
Side rear windows: Whelen dual Avengers, red/white
Rear hatch: Feniex Cobra 600, red
Headlights: Sound Off isolated HLF
Grille: Sound Off Ghosts, red/white (fit nicely in the grille slots, mounted w/ 3M tape)
Sides of factory front license frame: Feniex T3s, white (fit perfectly and the angle is good for intersection warning)
Siren and lighting control: Unitrol TouchMaster 4

There are a few things I would do differently if it was an all-new build. The Lt was very impressed with the Cobra and said he would prefer a Feniex front bar over his Whelen. And although another installer managed to squeeze the Unitrol and a VHF radio inside the console, I think a Federal Smart Siren would have been a neater solution.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.