Suggestions for a Mobile service truck

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
SO, we are looking to add a mobile service truck to our business. but we are struggling with what would be the best for our business. I need suggestions, real world use, and your opinions.

When I started business, I started as a mobile service, but I was working out of my personal 4 door pickup with a standard open truck bed.I know that is not the right set up.

Any one out there have a suggestion for what to get, or to stay away from?

we will be performing mobile electrical installs on vehicles, repairing electrical problems with Fire and ambulance apparatus, and doing mobile service calls for the rv industry.

We are looking at

a standard pickup with a topper and slide out tray:

worktruck.jpg

a service truck body:

ford service.jpg

a standard cargo van

cargo van.jpg

a kuv body, short

kuv short.jpg

or a tall kuv body

kuvtall.jpg

I really like the tall KUV, but I feel I want 4x4, and something with some power left to tow a 16' enclosed trailer.

Cargo vans are cheap, but they seem like they would be a pita to work out of.

service body pickups are nice, but I think it would be a mistake to have open cargo in the back, like lightbars and stuff

standard trucks are good, but i also like the idea of having an enclosed work area inside.

SO again, anyone work out of these vehicles currently? thoughts? I am also interested in fuel mileage, if a tall kuv body struggles to get to highway speeds or feels "tipsy" if a work van is a dream to work out of, etc...

We are in Colorado and service many mountain towns which is why i would like 4x4, for winter conditions. I know when I was doing mobile in my pickup, i used it after getting stuck in muddy parking lots, and trying to get out of a ice covered driveways. It happened enough that i would be nervous not to have it, but it was also a diesel truck with no weight in the back. Maybe a heavy kuv will be just fine... 

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.