Suggestions on holster and weapon light?

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Ok, over a year ago I purchased a Blackhawk! SERPA Level 3 Light Bearing Holster and XIPHOS weapon light to go with my Sig Sauer P226R. To be honest, I am not happy with it. My main hang up being that if you need to do anything to it (adjust it on the belt loop, change its position), you need to find a screwdriver. Its very annoying. I made a huge investment in this and I feel like its one of the worst investments I could have ever made.

I am thinking of selling off the holster and the light to someone who may like it.

Does anyone know of a better holster (prefer Level 3, but not less then lever 2) and a comparable light? I prefer something thats not proprietary like the Blackhawk stuff. Mid-ride is also helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Safariland makes different light friendly holsters. Also LAPoliceGear has deals right now for X300s and TLR-1's.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
AKRLTW said:
You know they make a screwdriver and phillips bit for your keychain if you're scared of carrying a multitool.

I am not scared of carrying a multi-tool. In fact, I carried one for a long long time. I took it off because the nylon case didnt match my leather gear. Problem is, I need to take my whole belt off just to adjust the holster whereas any other holster, I can slide it on my belt as needed.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Jamey@NNE said:

That looks interesting. I am guessing it would be 6360477-61. Would it accept the XIPHOS light or any light?

My problem isnt the light, its the SERPA holster and its design. It doesnt even seat itself right on the belt. If I can keep the light and get another holster, thats great. If not, I guess I will have to get rid of both.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I had a SERPA and ditched it for an ALS holster. I carry a TLR-1 led and love it. The SERPA was uncomfortable, made my leg go numb, and felt like it would break.

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
I carry the 6360 with a TLR-1 light and like not only the retention but ease in which you can draw the weapon. Considering (I believe) that the TLR is larger than the Xiphos light I bet it would work. Go by your local cop-shop and try one to see if it works.

Just my 2 cents.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I recently removed the low-ride belt loop and replaced it with the mid-ride. The loop design still sucks. It looks like the high-ride one is what they all should probably look like. I wonder why the other two are different?

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I say ditch the Xiphos while you're at it. The TLR-1 is now up to 600 lumen(OK, there's a 300 and 600 lumen version). And the safariland 6360 holster rocks. I switched from the Raptor and love it.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I'd recommend one of the Safariland ALS series...I just switched to the 6390, which is the ALS with the ALS guard (not that big honkin' blade anti-grab thing shown, but a tab that rotates to cover the ALS release). It's quick and the ALS automatically secures the gun when it's placed in the holster, without snaps or moving anything into place. And plus 1 on the TLR-1 too - great piece of kit. Reliable, bright, and you can get a strobe model if that's what you want.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
I agree with the safariland. I have about 6 different holsters for my glock and when I'm not concealing, I prefer the safariland I have (6377). The ALS is nice and the holster is well constructed.

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
I concur, the 6360 with TLR 1 is a great combo.

I had one for a while, I just really prefer the "traditional" SSIII holster. If I were in the market though, I'd buy another 6360 and TLR-1 in a nanosecond.

outrigger

Apr 25, 2011
CA, USA
I too carry a 226, and I would also highly recommend the safariland als holster. id also recommend the tlr1hl for the 600+ lumens of light :)

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I wish my dept would stop goofing around already and just issue us the safariland and streamlight, or even insight maybe. A couple officers are trying out the Blackhawk now, I've never heard good things about them.

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
rwo978 said:
I wish my dept would stop goofing around already and just issue us the safariland and streamlight, or even insight maybe. A couple officers are trying out the Blackhawk now, I've never heard good things about them.

Honestly, Blackhawk is garbage.

Their duty holsters are downright dangerous, and have been proven - proven - to lock up in ground fight situations when debris enter the finger release tab area.

I cringe when I see them in use.

In all fairness, I will admit to using 2 of their products, though.... the basic web belt ($10) is a good piece for uniforms that don't require a stiff, supportive belt - EMS and fire, for example. Not so great for supporting a duty belt though. I also use their Serpa Taser holster, which is a similar platform to the Serpa Duty Holster that I just M-F'd above... but unfortunately Taser holsters are kind of few and far between, and for a secondary device I'm not as worried about the unit locking up as I am with my gun. Oh, and it's issued to me...

paladin

Mar 14, 2011
Arizona
+1 On the ALS Holsters;

But then, also grab the quick attachment kits, which allow you to keep the "Base" attached to your duty belt and swap out different holsters just by clipping it in.

In addition, its great for when you go into the jails, you can just unclip the holster without having a loose firearm somewhere. This plus the leg pad actually makes having a holster convenient (and helps offset the weight of a heavy weapon digging into your thigh).

Duty Gear | Holster Accessories | Quick Attaching System | SAFARILAND™

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Great suggestions. I think the new weapon light is going to be the Streamlight TLR-1s because I want the strobe on there. It is also brighter then the XIPHOS (180 lumens) at 300 lumens and doesnt require a shitty specific holster like the SERPA.

Now I just need to decide on the holster. The ones recommended here were:

Safariland 6360

Safariland 6390

Safariland 6377

Whats the difference between ALS and SLS?

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
SLS is the hood mechanism. Usually the holster is basically a bucket with the hood.

ALS has an internal retention mechanism that locks the firearm in once it's holstered - even if the hood is not rolled back into place.

If you can find an ALS setup that fits your gun/light combo I would go with it instead of an SLS setup.

If this is duty carry I would go the 6360. It is ALS with the SLS hood as well. 6390 is ALS without hood. 6377 is a concealed carry holster.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
RolnCode3 said:
SLS is the hood mechanism. Usually the holster is basically a bucket with the hood.

ALS has an internal retention mechanism that locks the firearm in once it's holstered - even if the hood is not rolled back into place.

If you can find an ALS setup that fits your gun/light combo I would go with it instead of an SLS setup.

If this is duty carry I would go the 6360. It is ALS with the SLS hood as well. 6390 is ALS without hood. 6377 is a concealed carry holster.

Thank you for the Cliff's notes! I guess its going to be a 6360 as it is for duty carry

I looked at this link and it seems like the light also requires a specific holster by this link here

Model 6360 ALS®/SLS Mid-Ride, Level III Retention™, Duty Holster :: HOLSTERS.com

Suppose I change lights later on, will I need a new holster? I cant keep spending money on holsters...lol

Also, whats the difference between plain black and STX Tactical Black?

Last edited by a moderator:

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
FireEMSPolice said:
Thank you for the Cliff's notes! I guess its going to be a 6360 as it is for duty carry

I looked at this link and it seems like the light also requires a specific holster by this link here

Model 6360 ALS®/SLS Mid-Ride, Level III Retention™, Duty Holster :: HOLSTERS.com

Suppose I change lights later on, will I need a new holster? I cant keep spending money on holsters...lol

Also, whats the difference between plain black and STX Tactical Black?

As for changing lights and needing a new holster - I think it depends. Some (all?) of the ALS holsters will retain whether the light is attached or not. The SLS were not like that. So its possible they are making the ALS for the weapon plus an assortment of lights.

Plain black is smooth without texture. STX Tac looks like cordura nylon gear. If you're wearing Bianchi nylon gear you'll want the STX finish.

paladin

Mar 14, 2011
Arizona
most lights will fit the als, and another interesting bit is if you dont like the integral locking system, buy the level 3 with it anyway and its a one screw removal if you decide you dont like it.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I sent an email to Blackhawk describing my problem with the screws falling out of the loop going to the "platform" (as they call the holster) and the BEST they can do is replace the worthless belt loop. I told them the platform is the issue as the screws wont stay screwed in to it and that eventually, my gun will fall off and I will be carrying the gun in the platform in my hand. Unreal! I also told them that if that is the best Blackhawk can do, I wont buy anymore Blackhawk stuff. They truly dont stand behind the product.

I am selling the XIPHOS light so I can buy the new light. The new Safariland holster is still a few weeks out (not sure why the back order or the delay).

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Too bad the Blackhawk didn't work out for you. I'd never tell someone to carry something that wasn't comfortable for them. But I've carried one with the Xiphos for 5 years. Carried it in the academy and did ground fighting on dirt with it and never had it fail, even after having to clean the inside of the holster with a toothbrush to get all the dirt out.

I don't think you'll find any other holster that will work with the Xiphos, so you'll definitely need a new light.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I sold my XIPHOS light today for $140.00

Also, Blackhawk said they will send me a new SERPA holster for free after I told them if they dont do right and replace it. Unfortunately for them, my new Safariland holster will be in tomorrow.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
FireEMSPolice said:
I sold my XIPHOS light today for $140.00

Also, Blackhawk said they will send me a new SERPA holster for free after I told them if they dont do right and replace it. Unfortunately for them, my new Safariland holster will be in tomorrow.

Jesus. You can get the TLR-1 high lumen version with that money. I wouldn't have guessed someone would pay that much for a Xiphos. Good job.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.