Suggestions requested

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
I have a pair of LHA 9000 HAW's I'd like to put in the front of my 2009 tacoma, either in the headlights or fog lights. Wondering where would be optimal/easiest placement. The headlights are "double" walled, which ive never worked with before, so I was leaning towards the fogs for ease of installation. What does everyone think? Also, a billet type grille is in the works, purely for aesthetics, what lightheads would you suggest? Heres some pics.

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i245_98Jimmay_IMAG0312.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i245_98Jimmay_IMAG0313.jpg

As always, thanks for any input. :D

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Id say fog lights. Do u ever use them? If not, you could mount them where the bulb would go and utilize the entire reflector. Truck looks great! Love the light bar. What's in the grill/rear?

Jeremy0966

Aug 12, 2012
Idaho
Storm4200 said:
Id say fog lights. Do u ever use them? If not, you could mount them where the bulb would go and utilize the entire reflector. Truck looks great! Love the light bar. What's in the grill/rear?

I agree, defiantly the fogs. Headlights would completely wash them out. Another option is mount them in the marker light section on the upper outer portion of the headlights.

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n114_jeremy0966_IMAG0313_zpsda563fc7.jpg

Here's a vid of some LAW's in a Tacoma's headlights just to give you an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Please please please do not get a billet grille. Your current grille is far more aesthetically pleasing than a billet. I had one on one of my vehicles. It made the car look so..... off.

Besides that, go with the fogs for the haws, it will add another level of lighting. BTW, the lights in the grille area look great!

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
Up top is an 8 strobe edge bar with TD/AL, and a center piercer II (Love that thing, can't believe the difference it makes in responses) In the grille are a pair of dual LIN6 sticks from CPS Authority, love those things as well. That was a completely custom install, the dremel tool got a workout. Out back I have red LHA 9000 HAW's in the reverse light housings.

I am running a SS2000SM, which I kind of want to change to a Carson SC-411-RD, but thats another thread....... :p

By the way, the HAW's I want to place right now are also red.

In the future I would like a set of intersectors, and maybe a set of amber HAW's in the back, but that is a long way off. :(

I do use the fogs quite a bit, but I don't mind drilling a hole in them, as they are cheap ebay specials. I do want to still be able to use them.

Where in the reflector would you recommend I put them? maybe towards the middle of the truck to be more effective in intersections? :undecided:

Since I want to still use my fogs, would it be better to put the lights in the headlight housings? The corner light might be possible, I will have to take another look. :undecided:

Oh, and my grille will look something like this, with similar metal in the lower valence grille (easy place to mount more lights!

liveNaLPu1.jpg

And yes, I need to post a thread in the installs section to show off a little at some point :D

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i would go where you said, close to the bulb, but towards the center of the truck to give you better intersection warning. (just make sure you shut the fogs off when the HAWs are on, so the light doesnt drown them out).

getting the HAW into the little corner part of the head light is not going to be easy. especially with a double walled headlight.

also in that video someone posted, those HAWs look great in the headlights, UNTIL you turn the headlight on. Then, they're useless.

another option is to use the red HAWs that you have, in the taillights. I would then put a pair of amber 400series LEDs in the back of the bar.

then for the front, since you said you use the fog lights, get the Whelen Par32 dual color Red/White fog light replacements, that have a white 'driving light' mode, but flash RED. That would give you even better intersection, and a WHOLE lot of PUNCH to the front! :yes:

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
I put the HAW's in my fog lights and they work great. During the day you dont really use your fogs. At night you have the option to turn them on if its foggy and it will drown out the lights but it also eliminates the amount of flashback in the fog. If its not foggy then you can turn off the fog lamps and just use your headlights. You can't really do the opposite in the dark and be able to see. Definitley mount them in the fog lamps. I went about an inch away from the actual fog lamp bulb just to make sure then it would melt the plastic on the HAW's. I haven't had an issue. They are bright too. Mine are white, I use them as "wig-wags"

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely go with the fogs. I'm also thinking about a set of 400 series in the grille if/when i switch to an aftermarket grille.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I like that aftermarket grille. I am a fan of a larger footprint vs 4 smaller lights when you have a larger grille. I have an Explorer and the driving lights are about the same size. I like to use my driving lights. Once I put the led in them I tried to not to use them too often. The leds started to melt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.