SVP 202 lightbar...

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I picked this up today for a friend of mine. Does anyone have any info. on it, like what years they were produced? The SAE label on it says 77, so I'm assuming thats' the first year?

Also are they worth anything? & where would I find the endcaps & mounts for it?

kzSVP1.JPG

kzSVP2.JPG

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Hmm, been awhile since I saw one of those that had not been partially disassembled. As I recall, that ugly beast has a plastic speaker cover, right?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
SAE 77 is the year in which it was granted acceptance by the Society of Automotive Engineers. Although acceptance is sometimes granted in the first year of production, it often took one or two years to gain the acceptance seal. A better indicator of exactly when a warning device was made would be stampings or tags bearing a date inside the bar or on the motors. That is a nice looking SVP bar, kind of a rare find. I don't that particular bar enjoyed much popularity, I think I've seen only one or two in service.

Oddly enough, the SAE date on turn signal, marker light, and tail light lenses was an excellent method of determining the model year of American made cars and trucks. In this case, if the SAE dates didn't match it was a sure sign that the lens had been replaced for some reason.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
The bar was very similar in design like the Yankee 911 or Signal-Stat Dual-Comm bars.

The rotator assemblys was made by Arrow, to what I know, and had much better motors and gear boxes.

They where heavy duty in comparation with the Yankee/Signal-Stat ones that where medium duty. Worn out gears was very common on these.

If the bar should have had a "normal" looking speaker cover then the bulky plastic one the bar would have been much nicer looking.

Maybe it would have sold better.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
It was a gaudy and bulky bar and that's the basic reason it never gained wide acceptance. They were mostly used in Florida since they were manufactured there.

It had the nickname "flying brick".

Seriously.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
03crownvic said:
It was a gaudy and bulky bar and that's the basic reason it never gained wide acceptance. They were mostly used in Florida since they were manufactured there.
It had the nickname "flying brick".

Seriously.
I've heard Twinsonics and Yankee-Dietz lightbars described as flying bricks.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
03crownvic said:
Maybe that "flying brick" nickname is a general term for all types of boxy looking lightbars.
Pretty much.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Why has Shawn L not checked in on this thread????

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
i checked in on it but...... whats to say? lol mine isnt as nice looking my domes have some heavy crazing , the plastic is starting to degrade and flake off...

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
I figured you would post a picture of yours... You are the about the only other one I could remember who had one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.